Turn on thread page Beta

What's your favorite quote? watch

ReputationRep:
    Ooh I have quite a few One on my sig, also:

'Work like you don’t need money, love like you’ve never been hurt, and dance like no one’s watching'

'Even if you’re on the right track, you’ll get run over if you just sit there'
    —Will Rogers

ReputationRep:
    'If moderation is a fault then indifference is a crime' - Jack Kerouac

ReputationRep:
    'Ridicule is nothing to be scared of' - Adam & The Ants

I'd say it's influenced me quite a lot in that I'm very self-aware and tend to hang on to things more than necessary, so it helps me remember that it really doesn't matter if my hair goes wrong, or someone thinks my outfit's stupid, or I make a mistake/get confused in my clever-clever seminar groups, or I end up slipping/falling/tripping in public, or do/say something stupid. I know he didn't exactly write the song with clumsy introverts that wear short skirts on windy days in mind, but that's the sort of stuff that bothers me and that's the sort of quote that helps.

Oh and also 'From the ashes of disaster grow the roses of success' because I'm always thinking 'what if I fail this/don't understand that' etc etc.

ReputationRep:
    I'm so glad I made this thread. I've had the chance to read some truely beautiful quotes.

Thanks guys.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by .r.)
    "Can I have 12 bottles of bleach please". lmfao

Hahaha! Oh my days, I love that film :rolleyes:

(Original post by fretter778)
    “Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded. And, the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics: You are all stardust. You couldn’t be here if stars hadn’t exploded, because the elements - the carbon, nitrogen, oxygen, iron, all the things that matter for evolution and for life - weren’t created at the beginning of time. They were created in the nuclear furnaces of stars, and the only way for them to get into your body is if those stars were kind enough to explode.
    So, forget Jesus. The stars died so that you could be here today.”

Lawrence Krauss

Not exactly snappy and memorable but hey ho
    :love: That's so amazing.

(Original post by kiss_me_now9)
    I <3 that book.
    What book is this?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by im so academic)
    What book is this?
    To Kill A Mockingbird. Surprised you haven't heard of it, it's a core Oxbridge text.

To Kill A Mockingbird. Surprised you haven't heard of it, it's a core Oxbridge text.
    Sorry, didn't realise it. 'Tis on my books to buy list already. Never realised you were actually referring to that tbh.

What did you think of it?

ReputationRep:
    You are not special. You are not a beautiful or unique snowflake. You're the same decaying organic matter as everything else ...

ReputationRep:
    "Don't be pushed by your problems. Be led by your dreams."

(Original post by Sizif)
    "Don't be pushed by your problems. Be led by your dreams."
    A nice one to have when you're stuck on a bloody exam question. :erm:

ReputationRep:
    Sorry, didn't realise it. 'Tis on my books to buy list already. Never realised you were actually referring to that tbh.

What did you think of it?
    It's my favourite book... Every time I read I take something different from it. It's a must read

It's my favourite book... Every time I read I take something different from it. It's a must read
    :five: Thanks.

Any other suggestions?

ReputationRep:
    :love: That's so amazing.
    Glad you like it

(Original post by fretter778)
    Glad you like it
    Any more could you recommend me? You have nice suggestions. :blush:

ReputationRep:
    Any more could you recommend me? You have nice suggestions. :blush:
    I quite like ""The brain is a three pound mass you can hold in your hand that can conceive of a universe a hundred billion light-years across", from
    Marian C. Diamond.

Also Richard Dawkins' "We are going to die, and that makes us the lucky ones" passage from Unweaving The Rainbow. Whole thing here http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ac33dOAgqus
    Love him or hate him, you have to admit he makes a great point. Very similar to the other one.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Guy Secretan)
    You are not special. You are not a beautiful or unique snowflake. You're the same decaying organic matter as everything else ...
    we reject the basic assumptions of civilization, especially the importance of material possessions!

:grin:

ReputationRep:
    "Twice nightly Whiteley? More like once yearly.. nearly".

(Quote from Richard Whiteley, who was dubbed 'Twice nightly Whiteley' during the period that he presented both Calendar News and Countdown).

ReputationRep:
    I have a few that I like at the moment:

Make a radical change in your lifestyle and begin to boldly do things which you may previously never have thought of doing, or been too hesitant to attempt. So many people live within unhappy circumstances and yet will not take the initiative to change their situation because they are conditioned to a life of security, conformity, and conservation, all of which may appear to give one peace of mind, but in reality nothing is more damaging to the adventurous spirit within a man than a secure future. The very basic core of a man’s living spirit is his passion for adventure. The joy of life comes from our encounters with new experiences, and hence there is no greater joy than to have an endlessly changing horizon, for each day to have a new and different sun. If you want to get more out of life, you must lose your inclination for monotonous security and adopt a helter-skelter style of life that will at first appear to you to be crazy. But once you become accustomed to such a life you will see its full meaning and its incredible beauty. — JON KRAKAUER, INTO THE WILD

“You don’t have a soul. You are a soul. You have a body.” - C.S. Lewis

Life is a process of becoming, a combination of states we have to go through. Where people fail is that they wish to elect a state and remain in it. This is a kind of death. -Anais Nin

Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?
Useful resources
AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.