Turn on thread page Beta

Quitting uni - help with student finance please D: watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    So, i'm doing music at Oxord Brookes University and i've come to realise that after studying music in college, which was amazing, that i don't want to study music in that context again... i've realised that i want to study music journalism, or something along the music business context, event management whatever XD

So, i've been in uni for 2 weeks now and hate it, and want to leave, but then begin again at a different uni next year.
    the problem is student finance. I've had to use about £600 of my loan on accomodation and travel etc so would student finance allow this money to come out of the loan i get next year, or will they ask for it back straight away... or just let me keep the whole of the first installment until next year... i hope you understand that :/
    I know they'll ask for the grant back, and that's fine with me.

It's just that when i phoned SF and asked them, they said they cant tell me anything regarding what would happen to my finance until i send in the change of circumstances form and that's all processed... which is rediculous because i need to know if i'll be scrimping for the next year to pay them off, or even if i'll have to stay on this crap course because i cant afford to pay student finance ... and even if i'll get finance for a new uni course next year!!!

Needless to say, i'm VERY confused. Sorry for the essay XD any help would be VERY appreciated!!!!

ReputationRep:
    Bump

ReputationRep:
    http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Educatio...year/DG_171586

That page has some info. From the looks of it, it will be up to your uni as to whether you have to pay tuition fees yourself to them. You WILL get funding next year and for the whole of your new degree, since you have dropped out early enough. But I THINK you don't have to pay back the maintenance loan money, that's the bit I'm not sure about and they don't really mention.

Ring them and try and get a different person on the phone, ask them to explain in general circumstances because the website tells you to ask them and you are unable to make a decisions unless you know whether money is reclaimed if you leave a course early.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kpwxx)

That page has some info. From the looks of it, it will be up to your uni as to whether you have to pay tuition fees yourself to them. You WILL get funding next year and for the whole of your new degree, since you have dropped out early enough. But I THINK you don't have to pay back the maintenance loan money, that's the bit I'm not sure about and they don't really mention.

Ring them and try and get a different person on the phone, ask them to explain in general circumstances because the website tells you to ask them and you are unable to make a decisions unless you know whether money is reclaimed if you leave a course early.
    thanks I'll give them another call tomorrow, i phoned today but the woman didn't seem to know anything ¬_¬

I'll let you know how it goes!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kpwxx)

If you withdraw too soon you might need to pay your own tuition fees, so be careful. It might be in your interest not to drop out too soon.

ReputationRep:
    Right I wonna drop out of uni but my mom is telling me to try the 2nd term first to see if it is any better. With doing this I will be getting my 2nd lot of student loan.
    If I decide that i still don't like it in the 2nd term and quit will mm the remainder of my maintanance loan get taken out of my bank account
    Or will they take back the hole of the maintanace loan leaving me in debt with the bank
    Or will it just be left there for me to pay back when I have to start paying my tuition fees back I'm so confused. I don't want to get into debt with the bank as my mom is completely against me leaving and won't help me out in any sort of situation like that ?

ReputationRep:
    If you leave before the end of your course, the repayment terms for the loan elements remain the same, and you start repaying them in the future, in small installments once you earn the £21,000 a year threshold.

Theoretically, if you don't complete the course then the Maintenance Grants become repayable in full as soon as you leave. However you can probably negotiate repayments in smaller installments, or if you go back to uni, the money owed may be taken out of your entitlement.

In either case, SF cannot take any money out of your bank account.

P.S. This thread is three years old. Info in posts above your own doesn't refer to the terms and conditions currently in place.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Klix88)
    If you leave before the end of your course, the repayment terms for the loan elements remain the same, and you start repaying them in the future, in small installments once you earn the £21,000 a year threshold.

Theoretically, if you don't complete the course then the Maintenance Grants become repayable in full as soon as you leave. However you can probably negotiate repayments in smaller installments, or if you go back to uni, the money owed may be taken out of your entitlement.

In either case, SF cannot take any money out of your bank account.

Ok thank you

Poll
Cats or dogs?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.