Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Can i bring my car when i go to UK? watch

ReputationRep:
    I know this is stupid! But i wanna know if i can bring my car from US to UK?
    Also, can i drive in UK when i have a drivers license from US?
    If i cant bring my car, how much is a 2nd hand car over there?

No rude comments please.

ReputationRep:
    autotrader.co.uk for you third question... I don't know the first 2

ReputationRep:
    I see cars from foreign countries driving in London (non EU), so probably yes.

It would also make you immune to speed cameras and parking tickets.

The second is answered on the UK Government site (best place to check for all stuff like this) - direct.gov:

Driving licences issued in any other country

You can drive any small vehicle eg cars and or motorcycles, shown on your driving licence, for a period of 12 months from the date that you last entered the country, as long as it remains full and valid.

ReputationRep:
    you can but you're from usa
    everything is the wrong side
    a car is between £500-2000 for a basic one used

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tortious)
    The second is answered on the UK Government site (best place to check for all stuff like this) - direct.gov:

Im worried because the cars overthere are different. The wheel is on the right side which is kinda worrying me. but thanks

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ubershot)
    you can but you're from usa
    everything is the wrong side
    a car is between £500-2000 for a basic one used
    thats what im saying, im used to driving on the left side.
    If i buy a 500 price for a car, is it good? or crappy?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kristinaalovesu)
    I know this is stupid! But i wanna know if i can bring my car from US to UK?
    Also, can i drive in UK when i have a drivers license from US?
    If i cant bring my car, how much is a 2nd hand car over there?

No rude comments please.
    The UK is nothing like the US, you really don't need a car!
    Wanting one for the sake of it is a different story of course :P

Im worried because the cars overthere are different. The wheel is on the right side which is kinda worrying me. but thanks
    First of all, it's "direct.gov.uk" - my mistake.

Second, it's possible/legal to drive left-hand drives over here (as far as I'm aware), but as you say, it could be quite dangerous because you're sitting on the wrong side of the car to see clearly what's happening. Also, ever used a roundabout? That could be interesting... :p:

Why do you want to bring your car?

ReputationRep:
    Tbh, you probably won't need a car over here.

If you wanted to bring yours, then it'd probably cost you a hell of a lot in shipping, and you'd have to pay more in insurance because it's a left hand drive. If you DO want a car, you're better off getting one over here, instead.

ReputationRep:
    You can bring it over, but shipping costs will be MASSIVE and so not worth it it's untrue.

As others have said, you really don't need a car. It's a handy commodity, but not vital by any means.

If you think you'd have issues with the wheel being in the wrong place [what about gear lever, can you 'drive stick'?] then what about being on the wrong side of the road full stop? That'll be of a greater issue. By habit you'll look in the wrong place all the time.

You can buy relatively cheaply, but 9/10 they'll be a bag of bolts. Then you'd have to insure and tax it over here as well as get the MOT, pushing up the costs massively.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tortious)
    First of all, it's "direct.gov.uk" - my mistake.

Second, it's possible/legal to drive left-hand drives over here (as far as I'm aware), but as you say, it could be quite dangerous because you're sitting on the wrong side of the car to see clearly what's happening. Also, ever used a roundabout? That could be interesting... :p:

Why do you want to bring your car?
    What is a roundabout?????
    I want to bring my car because no one will use it here, my mom/brother have their own car. Im afraid if ever they use my car i dont want it to get scratch or something. And also, what if i chose the wrong uni and ended up in a uni where everything is too far?What if i have to do some groceries for myself? I cant carry them whilst on the train.

ReputationRep:
    thats what im saying, im used to driving on the left side.
    If i buy a 500 price for a car, is it good? or crappy?
    mm 500 would be false economy as in repair costs etc
    1000 you can get a good small car that's trouble free

look on autotrader for ideas

ReputationRep:
    Oh god, I dread to imagine American kids driving on our roads.

What is roundabout?????
    For reasons like this.

OP, keep in mind it will take a few months to ship it over on a container and you will be met with endless beaurocracy which will not only take forever but will likely cost a fortune to get it road legal.

It would probably cheaper and more reasonable to buy a small car here. In addition, your license will only be valid for 12m unless you sit your test in the UK.

Can you drive a manual car? There are very few automatics here in comparison to the states.

ReputationRep:
    Having the damn thing shipped over will probably cost as much as getting a second hand one when you're here anyway. Unless it's of sentimental value and you don't plan on returning to the US, just sell it and buy one when you get here. £500 will probably get you some POS that will get you from A to B, just barely. But shipping it can't cost you any less than double that surely, and for a grand you'd be able to get something that would at least last you your full 3 years of Uni. It will still probably be a POS, but it should work.

Also from what I hear it's quite a learning curve driving a left-hand drive car on a left-hand drive road.

EDIT: lolwut, what's a roundabout? Surely you guys have them over there too but you just call them something different. I really hope.

ReputationRep:
    What is roundabout?????
    I want to bring my car because no one will use it here, my mom/brother have their own car. Im afraid if ever they use my car i dont want it to get scratch or something. And also, what if i chose the wrong uni and ended up in a uni where everything is too far?What if i have to do some groceries for myself? I cant carry them whilst on the train.
    uk isn't usa i.e. everything like food etc is walking distance or at worst a short bus ride

ReputationRep:
    What is roundabout?????

That's why you shouldn't even think about it.

Every major shop has a delivery service. Every student accomodation has a little local convenience store within walking distance.

What is a roundabout?????
    Here.

Really though, as the others have said, a car is probably more trouble than it's worth.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tailschao)
    EDIT: lolwut, what's a roundabout? Surely you guys have them over there too but you just call them something different. I really hope.
    In the six years I was in the US, I don't think I saw a stretch of road that wasn't either perfectly straight or at a right angle.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tailschao)
    Having the damn thing shipped over will probably cost as much as getting a second hand one when you're here anyway. Unless it's of sentimental value and you don't plan on returning to the US, just sell it and buy one when you get here. £500 will probably get you some POS that will get you from A to B, just barely. But shipping it can't cost you any less than double that surely, and for a grand you'd be able to get something that would at least last you your full 3 years of Uni. It will still probably be a POS, but it should work.

Also from what I hear it's quite a learning curve driving a left-hand drive car on a left-hand drive road.

I've never drive in a roundabout tbh.

I've seen them but never drove in it. Only freeway and streets.

Poll
Are you going to a festival?
Useful resources
US study forum

Accommodation profiles:

iQ Student Accommodation

iQ Student Accommodation

Great value student rooms in city centre locations all across the UK

X1 Lettings

X1 Lettings

Luxury student accommodation in Liverpool & Manchester.

Collegiate Accommodation

Collegiate Accommodation

"This is student living. Just better."

Scape Student Living

Study Inn

Providing stunning high quality, boutique student accommodation throughout the UK

The Student Housing Company

The Student Housing Company

Award-winning student accommodation - voted by 22,000 students.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.