Turn on thread page Beta

Can i bring my car when i go to UK? watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tortious)
    Here.

Really though, as the others have said, a car is probably more trouble than it's worth.
    Oh come on, if you're going to show a roundabout, show one that does it justice!

Like this one!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by GodspeedGehenna)
    In the six years I was in the US, I don't think I saw a stretch of road that wasn't either perfectly straight or at a right angle.
    They do have some, but they're not common. Friend of mine from NYState has seen a couple.

ReputationRep:
    Here.

Really though, as the others have said, a car is probably more trouble than it's worth.
    I might just buy one there instead? I have to save money now.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Drewski)
    They do have some, but they're not common. Friend of mine from NYState has seen a couple.
    They have one in DC.
    That roundabout is fudging confusing.

Oh come on, if you're going to show a roundabout, show one that does it justice!

Like this one!
    :giggle:

If we're being pedantic, isn't that five roundabouts? Or should it be counted as six? :p:

ReputationRep:

If we're being pedantic, isn't that five roundabouts? Or should it be counted as six? :p:
    If i buy some furniture where do i put it?Of course im gonna need to have a car or something. You cant bring your furniture in the train or bus.

ReputationRep:
    Oiiiiiiiiii! WTF someone neg rep me just because of this!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kristinaalovesu)
    I might just buy one there instead? I have to save money now.
    Hahaha, have fun trying to save money while running a car in the UK.

£1.16/litre petrol, average insurance per year for 20yr old ~£900 (Although I paid about £1800 for mine), MOT per year + repairs, ~£130 road tax per year, congestion charge if applicable.

+ the haulage and cost of your car when you total it entering a roundabout.

ReputationRep:
    If i buy some furniture where do i put it?Of course im gonna need to have a car or something. You cant bring your furniture in the train or bus.
    Delivery service. Probability is that your university will be close to a city centre.

ReputationRep:

It's the magic roundabout [semi-official name, actually], so one!

They have one in DC.
    That roundabout is fudging confusing.
    Well they're everywhere here... Big, small. All over the place. Crossroads or 3way junctions don't happen without them, basically.

Most shops will sell it flatpacked. Everywhere will offer delivery, usually free.

You don't need a car. Save the money for more useful things.

Unless you want to waste £2000+, that is.

ReputationRep:
    You can't fit a sofa in your car either. You get it delivered from the shop.

Seriously, no need to have a car at all. If you want one anyway, buy one after you're here and please for love of god take some driving lessons and get a British licence ASAP. Preferably before you try driving over here at all. Straight/right-angled roads + no roundabouts + automatic gearboxes =/= driving. I don't mean that in a nasty way, but please, for the sake of everyone's safety.

ReputationRep:
    Oiiiiiiiiii! WTF someone neg rep me just because of this!
    Well, to anyone with half a brain it is pretty fecking stupid...

On another note, in the US you pay something like $2.60/gallon for gas, right?
    Break them down a bit.

$2.60/gallon = ~$0.65/litre = ~£0.33/litre

Our current petrol price is £1.16+. And it's going up.

ReputationRep:
    Hahaha, have fun trying to save money while running a car in the UK.

£1.16/litre petrol, average insurance per year for 20yr old ~£900 (Although I paid about £1800 for mine), MOT per year + repairs, ~£130 road tax per year, congestion charge if applicable.

+ the haulage and cost of your car when you total it entering a roundabout.
    wtfudge. thats too much.
    Fine, i'll have to try and deal with the public transpo then..
    thanks.

ReputationRep:
    wtfudge. thats too much.
    Fine, i'll have to try and deal with the public transpo then..
    thanks.
    We do actually have decent public transport. It's not rural Kenya.

Unless of course the tube workers happen to be on 24hr strike, then you're ******.

ReputationRep:

Unless of course the tube workers happen to be on 24hr strike, then you're ******.
    The public transport here in my state is crappy. Im just worried and curious because i've never been to uk yet.

ReputationRep:

But then, she could be like 54million people in this country and not live in London and therefore not give a monkey's about London-only issues...

ReputationRep:
    Well, to anyone with half a brain it is pretty fecking stupid...

On another note, in the US you pay something like $2.60/gallon for gas, right?
    Break them down a bit.

$2.60/gallon = ~$0.65/litre = ~£0.33/litre

Our current petrol price is £1.16+. And it's going up.
    Alrighty. thanks

ReputationRep:
    But then, she could be like 54million people in this country and not live in London and therefore not give a monkey's about London-only issues...
    whats that supposed to mean.

ReputationRep:
    I know this is stupid! But i wanna know if i can bring my car from US to UK?
    Also, can i drive in UK when i have a drivers license from US?
    If i cant bring my car, how much is a 2nd hand car over there?

No rude comments please.
    second cars are cheep if you know what car to look for, you don't want to drive a car that is wrong side drive. i would recommend a fiat punto, cheap and goes like snot,
    Your US license would be ok for 2 years i think but you'll need to check. You will eventually have to take our driving test since our driving skills and laws are very different. Have you heard of a roundabout?

ReputationRep:
    The public transport here in my state is crappy. Im just worried and curious because i've never been to uk yet.
    You really should visit at least once before coming over to study. I've met a few yanks over here studying and the most embarrassing/cringe-inducing ones were the ones who'd never set foot on the isle before coming across to study.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: October 15, 2010
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?
Useful resources
US study forum

Accommodation profiles:

iQ Student Accommodation

iQ Student Accommodation

Great value student rooms in city centre locations all across the UK

X1 Lettings

X1 Lettings

Luxury student accommodation in Liverpool & Manchester.

Collegiate Accommodation

Collegiate Accommodation

"This is student living. Just better."

Scape Student Living

Study Inn

Providing stunning high quality, boutique student accommodation throughout the UK

The Student Housing Company

The Student Housing Company

Award-winning student accommodation - voted by 22,000 students.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.