Turn on thread page Beta

Can i bring my car when i go to UK? watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JGR)

As an aside, I have fond memories of my dad (who had an Italian driving license at the time, and drove like one) going round Étoile in Paris when we lived there, it was exciting :3
    I don't remember it so much as being exciting, more like throwing yourself head first into a blender and hoping you didn't get hit. It's even funner if you try and cross by foot!

To help the american lady with her problem, no, you won't need a car. I know what it's like in America, everything has to be driven to because it's so bloody far away. Here in good ol' Blighty, you generally have a groceries store on the corner of your street, and generally several supermarkets in the town centre, which you shouldn't be too far away from, even if you're living on campus.

On a side-note, furniture-wise, most student halls come equipped with the basics (chair, bed, table, wardrobe). Check on your university's site thoug, as they generally have pictures of the interior of their halls.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lathian)
    I don't remember it so much as being exciting, more like throwing yourself head first into a blender and hoping you didn't get hit. It's even funner if you try and cross by foot!

To help the american lady with her problem, no, you won't need a car. I know what it's like in America, everything has to be driven to because it's so bloody far away. Here in good ol' Blighty, you generally have a groceries store on the corner of your street, and generally several supermarkets in the town centre, which you shouldn't be too far away from, even if you're living on campus.

On a side-note, furniture-wise, most student halls come equipped with the basics (chair, bed, table, wardrobe). Check on your university's site thoug, as they generally have pictures of the interior of their halls.
    Thats what im doing atm. Checking some university halls and stuff.
    Thanks a lot for the info.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kristinaalovesu)
    I know this is stupid! But i wanna know if i can bring my car from US to UK?
    Also, can i drive in UK when i have a drivers license from US?
    If i cant bring my car, how much is a 2nd hand car over there?

No rude comments please.
    What kind of car do you have?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Made in the USA)
    What kind of car do you have?
    toyota highlander

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by theronkinator)
    You on crack? The only time I have ever heard of first years not been allowed a car is on Transformers 2. It's not upto a Uni whether you buy a car.
    Oh, well that's strange, because my University specifically said not to bring a car. Now I didn't say you're not allowed to own a car, and this is residential halls specific. In this case, most unis do not allow first years to have cars.

ReputationRep:
    What uni are you at? Hopefully all unis offer that kind of stuff.
    I'm at Gloucestershire, which is considered to be, second to Devon, farmer country, and there's still a supermarket 5 minutes walk away.

All uni halls offer furnished rooms, kitchens and sometimes a common area. My halls are pretty expensive and others might be more basic, but you'll still get what you need.

ReputationRep:

No rude comments please.

Bit random but what parts of Cali are you at ?

ReputationRep:
    Hopefully all unis offer that kind of stuff.
    All unis will have most of those facilities, the only possible exception is the en-suite, as not all unis have en-suite bedrooms, but most do.

As for the car, I had one at Uni, and it got used a couple times a week at most, and only got a proper run out every month or so when I went home. So probably wasn't worth it.

The public transport is good in city centres, and very frequent (the road the halls and the Uni are on in Manchester has a but about every 30 seconds in term time), and there is of course the option of walking.

I'd suggest trying to see if you can cope without a car for a couple of months, if not have a look around and see what you can get for your money (but don't forget to get it insured and taxed, or else you'll get your car towed away if you're caught)

ReputationRep:
    toyota highlander
    LOL. I'd love to see an american teenager try to drive a toyota highlander on our tiny and bendy UK roads. I'd love to see them try and nagivate spaghetti junction or the hanger lane gyratory.

ReputationRep:
    All unis will provide you with furniture, and you're usually not allowed to actually buy more.

Also, do NOT buy a car if you're going to Cardiff. If you can't survive on a roundabout, then south Wales isn't the place for you ¬_¬

ReputationRep:
    toyota highlander
    That thing is an absolute monster for UK roads
    No one drives anything that big over there, it's as ill-suited for their roads as a Smart for 2 is for ours. :eek:

ReputationRep:
    toyota highlander
    Nope, not an international student.

Also now that you mention the toyota highlander, do not bring that. You wont be able to insure it, and even if you could you'll end up having to take out a mortgage to be able to run it due to "gas" prices here

ReputationRep:
    Yeah I don't think that highlander has ever been marketed in Britain - probably for good reason.

You'd have to be looking at £300+ per year just for road tax and the insurance would be thousands if you're under 25.

very expensive and unneccessary - I hope we've talked you out of it.

ReputationRep:
    @OP
    Trying to lug a tank like that to Britain and run it here would probably bankrupt you, and you'd not be able to drive it without killing someone or getting stuck as soon as you got to a corner.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by G550NDH)
    Bit random but what parts of Cali are you at ?
    Sacramento

ReputationRep:
    Sacramento
    ohh kool kool .. i stayed in carlsbad/oceanside for 2 months ... met someone who is going to st andrews this year and she said she wont bring a car since its a huge hassle and she is more likely to use public transport or to buy an cheap car in her final year

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JGR)
    @OP
    Trying to lug a tank like that to Britain and run it here would probably bankrupt you, and you'd not be able to drive it without killing someone or getting stuck as soon as you got to a corner.
    :zomg: FINE I wont bring it anymore.

ReputationRep:

No rude comments please.
    holy fk!!! a highlander!!!! fkkkkkkkkkkkkkk your much better off buying a car here + in london most ppl have small cars like smarts

we dont even that such things in the uk

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by G550NDH)
    ohh kool kool .. i stayed in carlsbad/oceanside for 2 months ... met someone who is going to st andrews this year and she said she wont bring a car since its a huge hassle and she is more likely to use public transport or to buy an cheap car in her final year
    Oh niiiiice. I was assuming that the PT here and there are the same, my bad. I think the PT there is more better.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DMed)
    All unis will have most of those facilities, the only possible exception is the en-suite, as not all unis have en-suite bedrooms, but most do.

As for the car, I had one at Uni, and it got used a couple times a week at most, and only got a proper run out every month or so when I went home. So probably wasn't worth it.

The public transport is good in city centres, and very frequent (the road the halls and the Uni are on in Manchester has a but about every 30 seconds in term time), and there is of course the option of walking.

I'd suggest trying to see if you can cope without a car for a couple of months, if not have a look around and see what you can get for your money (but don't forget to get it insured and taxed, or else you'll get your car towed away if you're caught)
    Thanks i think i'll just leave it here.

Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?
Useful resources
US study forum

Accommodation profiles:

iQ Student Accommodation

iQ Student Accommodation

Great value student rooms in city centre locations all across the UK

X1 Lettings

X1 Lettings

Luxury student accommodation in Liverpool & Manchester.

Collegiate Accommodation

Collegiate Accommodation

"This is student living. Just better."

Scape Student Living

Study Inn

Providing stunning high quality, boutique student accommodation throughout the UK

The Student Housing Company

The Student Housing Company

Award-winning student accommodation - voted by 22,000 students.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.