Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Can i bring my car when i go to UK? watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by adam0311)
    Trying to decide if I should laugh or cry at seeing something like that.

I'll let this picture speak for itself.

It's still a Yankee POS, and it looks ridiculous.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Carl)
    It's still a Yankee POS, and it looks ridiculous.
    Oh you are right. Especially because your MR2 is the most beautiful thing ever. It definetly does not look like a ricer.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by adam0311)
    Trying to decide if I should laugh or cry at seeing something like that.

I'll let this picture speak for itself.

Here's what it's saying to me http://www.deadmilkmen.com/lyrics/*****in_camaro.html

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Teh User)
    I wouldn't call them underpowered, not by a long shot. US cars generally have fewer horsepower on a comparable sized engine. Mitsubishi managed to get 400bhp out of a 2 litre engine. Europe's motorways are by no way small either and very smooth and the speed limits are comparably higher. It takes time to travel the continent, even if a national view is taken with transportation.
    You are confusing displacement with physical size. A 6 liter LS series GM V8 is lighter than many 4 cylinders and more compact externally than many 6 cylinder engines

I just traded a Corvette for a Porsche 911 (both were used with high mileage, I'm not rich by any stretch of the imagination). The Porsche has the better chassis, but the engine is an epic fail compared to the Corvettes engine. The porsche engine is heavier, has larger external dimensions, is less reliable (google IMS failures), less economical, more expensive to manufacture, more expensive to maintain, and it has nowhere near the Corvette's power/throttle response/flexibility or tuning potential. Plus that V8 sounded like an angry grizzly bear.

How the fact that Porsche engineers got more HP per liter of displacement is relevant in the real world is beyond me.

ReputationRep:
    A 4L engine does not beat a 3L engine if the 3L engine produces more horsepower.
    What if the american 4L is lighter, more compact externally, cheaper to maintain and manufacture, is more economical, more reliable, and has more low speed torque (which is more desirable in the real world than peak HP) than the euro 3L?

HP per liter is really just something to keep 14 year old car nerds amused during recess or study hall. It has no value in the real world.

ReputationRep:
    Let's be honest though, guys. We could argue about who manufactures the best cars for days, but the fact is, in reality, European family cars, like Peugeots and Fords marketed in Europe etc are much more economical. We can't all drive around in Camaros.

That's not to say American muscle cars aren't awesum; I do love them, just as much as I love Aston Martins (Maybe not AS much, but you get my drift). It's just that big engined cars that do 3 miles to the gallon simply aren't realistic for every day use. And going back to the thread's actual subject, a Toyota Highlander in Cardiff or London or Manchester simply isn't going to work.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Made in the USA)
    You are confusing displacement with physical size. A 6 liter LS series GM V8 is lighter than many 4 cylinders and more compact externally than many 6 cylinder engines

I just traded a Corvette for a Porsche 911 (both were used with high mileage, I'm not rich by any stretch of the imagination). The Porsche has the better chassis, but the engine is an epic fail compared to the Corvettes engine. The porsche engine is heavier, has larger external dimensions, is less reliable (google IMS failures), less economical, more expensive to manufacture, more expensive to maintain, and it has nowhere near the Corvette's power/throttle response/flexibility or tuning potential. Plus that V8 sounded like an angry grizzly bear.

How the fact that Porsche engineers got more HP per liter of displacement is relevant in the real world is beyond me.
    is it the 996? i've heard that's a common fault for that car, but i think the 996 turbo has a different engine without that problem?

ReputationRep:

ReputationRep:
    What if the american 4L is lighter, more compact externally, cheaper to maintain and manufacture, is more economical, more reliable, and has more low speed torque (which is more desirable in the real world than peak HP) than the euro 3L?

HP per liter is really just something to keep 14 year old car nerds amused during recess or study hall. It has no value in the real world.
    The chances of the American 4 litre being lighter is quite slim to say the least. US cars are almost always comparably heavier, and if they're not, it's because they're made of plastic like the Corvette is. 4 litre engines are unlikely to be more economical than a 3 litre engine, and even a 3l engine is going to be uneconomical compared to a 2 litre engine. European vehicle engineering is simply more efficient than US vehicle engineering as proved by the BHP per litre and the power to weight ratio. Unless you have a simple fast US car on straight roads and heaps of money, you're better off with a German built car. Smaller and hence easier to manoeuvre and handle, stacks of torque, stacks of power and very economical and generally very reliable, even if it's just a simple family saloon. Many will even beat the faster US muscle cars. It's just a simple fact that the German car industry is the best in the world, not even the US can beat it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by pugnacitas)
    This is orgasmic. I don't care if they're made of tinfoil, I want one!

ReputationRep:
    is it the 996? i've heard that's a common fault for that car, but i think the 996 turbo has a different engine without that problem?
    No, it's not a 996, but it doesn't matter. This is a problem all the way up to 2008. And it's not just the IMS that is a problem. The piston sleeves like to fly apart too. This is proof that the germans really do have a sense of humor:

I wish I could put a US V8 in one of these cars. That would be the best, no reliability problems, knock some weight off the car, get better economy with the right gearing, more power, etc. I'm waiting for someone to make a good kit to convert some of the newer porsches. This place is cool but they only do the older models: http://www.renegadehybrids.com/

ReputationRep:
    The chances of the American 4 litre being lighter is quite slim to say the least. US cars are almost always comparably heavier, and if they're not, it's because they're made of plastic like the Corvette is. 4 litre engines are unlikely to be more economical than a 3 litre engine, and even a 3l engine is going to be uneconomical compared to a 2 litre engine. European vehicle engineering is simply more efficient than US vehicle engineering as proved by the BHP per litre and the power to weight ratio. Unless you have a simple fast US car on straight roads and heaps of money, you're better off with a German built car. Smaller and hence easier to manoeuvre and handle, stacks of torque, stacks of power and very economical and generally very reliable, even if it's just a simple family saloon. Many will even beat the faster US muscle cars. It's just a simple fact that the German car industry is the best in the world, not even the US can beat it.
    Please excuse my spelling, I prefer using british spellings over the goofy french spellings you are using since the 19th century

I was pointing out that US engines, despite their large displacement, are often lighter and more compact than European engines. For example, the 7.0 liter LS7 Corvette Z06 V8 is 458lbs dry, the BMW M5 V10 weighs 528lbs dry. The Corvette mill is also more economical, more compact, more reliable, less expensive to maintain, less expensive to manufacture, and more powerful than the "high tech" BMW M5 engine.

On paper, if I am comparing the two engines, the M5 V10 is inferior in just about every way.

German's often do technology for technology sake and their designs don't cut it in the real world.

I wasn't talking about the overall weight of the vehicles, that's a different point entirely.

ReputationRep:
    Please excuse my spelling, I prefer using british spellings over the goofy french spellings you are using since the 19th century

I was pointing out that US engines, despite their large displacement, are often lighter and more compact than European engines. For example, the 7.0 liter LS7 Corvette Z06 V8 is 458lbs dry, the BMW M5 V10 weighs 528lbs dry. The Corvette mill is also lighter, more economical, more compact, more reliable, less expensive to maintain, less expensive to manufacture, and more powerful than the "high tech" BMW M5 engine.

On paper, if I am comparing the two engines, the M5 V10 is inferior in just about every way.

German's often do technology for technology sake and their designs don't cut it in the real world.

I wasn't talking about the overall weight of the vehicles, that's a different point entirely.

ReputationRep:
    Nice video, but it doesn't disprove anything I said. That V10 is a monster. Heavier, bulkier, and thirstier than US V8s of similar output

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?
Useful resources
US study forum

Accommodation profiles:

iQ Student Accommodation

iQ Student Accommodation

Great value student rooms in city centre locations all across the UK

X1 Lettings

X1 Lettings

Luxury student accommodation in Liverpool & Manchester.

Collegiate Accommodation

Collegiate Accommodation

"This is student living. Just better."

Scape Student Living

Study Inn

Providing stunning high quality, boutique student accommodation throughout the UK

The Student Housing Company

The Student Housing Company

Award-winning student accommodation - voted by 22,000 students.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.