Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    For two functions, Leibniz's theorem says \displaystyle \frac{d^n}{dx^n}\left(u\cdot v\right) = \sum_{k=0}^{n}\binom{n}{k}u_{k}v  _{n-k}. What about when we have more than two functions - say three, four, or even more?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PerigeeApogee)
    Any number of products of functions can be split into groups of two, then split again, and again, as necessary.
    But that gets tedious, as the number of functions gets large. I was sort of looking for a 'multinomial' version, but that's probably misguided.

ReputationRep:
    Use what PerigeeApogee said apply Leibniz to what's inside and do some combinatorics.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Liouville)
    But that gets tedious, as the number of functions gets large. I was sort of looking for a 'multinomial' version, but that's probably misguided.
    There is a multinomial Leibniz rule, comparable to the multinomial theorem.

It just says (for example in the trinomial case)

(uvw)^{(n)} = \sum  C^{n}_{k,l,m} u^{(k)} v^{(l)} w^{(m)}

where the sum is taken over all nonnegative k,l,m such that k+l+m=n and

C^{n}_{k,l,m} = \frac{n!}{k! l! m!}

ReputationRep:
    \displaystyle (u_1\cdot u_{2}\cdots u_{k})^{(n)} = \sum_{k_1+k_2+\cdots+k_m=n} {n \choose k_1, k_2, \ldots, k_m} u_1^{k_1} u_2^{k_2} \cdots u_m^{k_m}\,

Is that correct? Never have done anything like that in my entire life. :eek:

What I needed it for was to find the nth derivative of the product \displaystyle \prod_{k=1}^{n}(k-x)^{m}
    But now I realise it's sort of a massive overkill and even somewhat ineffective.
    Sure there must be better ways to find the nth derivative of the product, no?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Liouville)
    I don't see an easy way of finding that product in the general case. (A quick play with Wolfram Alpha shows no obvious patterns).

If this is a result you've found yourself wanting in the middle of solving some other problem, I suspect you'd be better off looking for a different approach.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DFranklin)
    If this is a result you've found yourself wanting in the middle of solving some other problem, I suspect you'd be better off looking for a different approach.
    Thanks, that's what it was. I will leave it at that for now.

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Useful resources

Make your revision easier

Maths

Maths Forum posting guidelines

Not sure where to post? Read the updated guidelines here

Equations

How to use LaTex

Writing equations the easy way

Student revising

Study habits of A* students

Top tips from students who have already aced their exams

Study Planner

Create your own Study Planner

Never miss a deadline again

Polling station sign

Thinking about a maths degree?

Chat with other maths applicants

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.