Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Ok so the first few weeks of Sixth form have been great, and wearing a suit is so much more comfortable in comparison to a school uniform.
    One thing everybody is doing is trying to make themselves look more individual/chic/sharp in their attire. [We have to wear suits, kinda a formal dresscode thing]

I was considering wearing a waistcoat, but it seems a bit ostentatious and i want to know what TSR thinks.

I am slender, mid height, wear a grey, tailored slimfit suit with solid color shirts and ties. [A convenient picture of build in my profile pic].
    Is it too much? Taking it too far? Girls, is it something you would consider a guy 'hot' wearing or is it just being a prick...

Mind you, when you intermingle with girls from the local college you DO get lots of attention. :o:

ReputationRep:
    Waistcoat is a bit much for sixth form, way too formal imo.

There's a time and place for everything, waistcoats just don't fit in the sixth form scene.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Panda Vinnie)
    Waistcoat is a bit much for sixth form, way too formal imo.

There's a time and place for everything, waistcoats just don't fit in the sixth form scene.
    Fair enough, that WAS my fear...

FYI we all have to wear suits incase i didn't clarify that in my OP.

ReputationRep:
    I think a full on suit is a bit much for a Sixth Form - just my opinion. It...kind of sends out a bad message? At least, to me it does. It seems to say, "I want to look really smart and clever and I want all of you to know that I am those things" Maybe it doesn't say that, but I'd worry that everyone thought I was a massive ponce if I wore one!

Waistcoats with a shirt, on the other hand, are okay! I think they're smart but not tooooo smart. They can make you look snazzy without making you look like an idiot.

ReputationRep:
    Oh, God - pardon my earlier post. Didn't realise you HAD to wear suits...

Erm, in that case, why NOT wear a waistcoat? Go for it

ReputationRep:
    Why not go the whole way and get yourself a cape, monacle, tophat and cane?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheDannyManCan)
    I think a full on suit is a bit much for a Sixth Form - just my opinion. It...kind of sends out a bad message? At least, to me it does. It seems to say, "I want to look really smart and clever and I want all of you to know that I am those things" Maybe it doesn't say that, but I'd worry that everyone thought I was a massive ponce if I wore one!

Waistcoats with a shirt, on the other hand, are okay! I think they're smart but not tooooo smart. They can make you look snazzy without making you look like an idiot.
    We HAVE to wear them...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by GodspeedGehenna)
    Hmmm, because that WOULD be too far imo

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ocassus)
    Fair enough, that WAS my fear...

FYI we all have to wear suits incase i didn't clarify that in my OP.
    I figured, it was the same at my sixth form too.
    As for trying to be individual, we used to do it with striking shirts, ties and cuff links.

Have you just started sixth form? I remember when I started, everybody was quite bothered about the dress sense but in all honesty give it a few weeks and you won't really care :laugh: you'll get too busy and too tired to bother, it's only sixth form anyway it doesn't matter much :dontknow:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ocassus)
    Hmmm, because that WOULD be too far imo
    The monacle is optional.

ReputationRep:
    You'll stand out, but if don't mind standing out then go for it. Make sure it matches the suit, and don't do up the bottom button on it.

ReputationRep:
    I'd say not - it would make you look like a bit of an egotistical pillock. On the other hand, I'd say you're pretty hot based on your profile pic.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Panda Vinnie)
    I figured, it was the same at my sixth form too.
    As for trying to be individual, we used to do it with striking shirts, ties and cuff links.

Have you just started sixth form? I remember when I started, everybody was quite bothered about the dress sense but in all honesty give it a few weeks and you won't really care :laugh: you'll get too busy and too tired to bother, it's only sixth form anyway it doesn't matter much :dontknow:
    Meh, you are probably right [Just have started]. The tailor who did mine offered to do a matching grey waistcoat and said I could get it discounted as it was from the same cut. He said I could come back if i wanted it anytime... Just not sure about it

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bezzler)
    I'd say not - it would make you look like a bit of an egotistical pillock. On the other hand, I'd say you're pretty hot based on your profile pic.
    Thanks

I kinda thought that a waistcoat takes a suit and makes it more 'upper class' if you like. Its a bit more ostentatious and I don't know if I can carry it off. Don't you have to be quite petite or something to make it 'work'?

ReputationRep:
    No.

ReputationRep:
    The monacle is optional.
    You are so kind. *tips hat*

ReputationRep:
    How about a tie with pretty flowers on it?

ReputationRep:
    I would get the jump within the hour if I went to my sixth form in a suit.
    I can't really imagine my old school/sixth form making us wear a suit, since about 90% of the kids wore tracksuits.
    It wasn't a nice school, I envy you.
    Sorry for not answering your question, just felt the need to add this.

ReputationRep:
    Stand out by looking good. Don't stand out by wearing unnecessary accessories.

Just match out your tie with a good pair of cufflinks.

ReputationRep:
    Yes please! This is something I'd love to see

OP, I for one love waistcoats. And the whole general formal look. And seeing as you have to wear suits anyway then why not as somebody already mentioned? It's not that noticeable along with the suit anyway so I doubt you'd get heckled for it.

Do what you want to do.

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.