Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by GodspeedGehenna)
    Why not go the whole way and get yourself a cape, monacle, tophat and cane?

That would be soooooo cool! PLEASE DO THAT!!!

Also waistcoat = go for it.

ReputationRep:
    How about a skirt?

ReputationRep:
    Don't joke, there are man-skirts out there...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The Blind Monk)
    As mentioned earlier it is technically incorrect as it is evening wear and school is during the daytime, which would in theory mean that morning wear of tails, pinstripe trousers etc would be suitable. Though frankly all those options and the waistcoat sound ludicrously over the top for sixth form.
    Wow, do people still adhere to these old dress codes?

Even if waistcoats are too formal/OTT, I still adore them

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ocassus)
    Lol where do you go to school!?!?!
    Slough Grammar.

ReputationRep:
    i would say yes - think daniel craig

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LTC1409)
    That would be soooooo cool! PLEASE DO THAT!!!

Also waistcoat = go for it.
    I am going to say no .

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by XX747-8XX)
    i would say yes - think daniel craig
    Yea but i ain't daniel craig, its a question of whether or not i can pull it off...

ReputationRep:
    Why are people saying don't wear one it's too formal? I wear one when I do my shopping in Tesco In fact I pretty much wear one all the time, I'm even wearing one now despite not going anywhere of particular note today.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fire2burn)
    Why are people saying don't wear one it's too formal? I wear one when I do my shopping in Tesco In fact I pretty much wear one all the time.
    Yea but is that just with a t-shirt? With a suit its kinda different thing...

ReputationRep:
    Ok so the first few weeks of Sixth form have been great, and wearing a suit is so much more comfortable in comparison to a school uniform.
    One thing everybody is doing is trying to make themselves look more individual/chic/sharp in their attire. [We have to wear suits, kinda a formal dresscode thing]

I was considering wearing a waistcoat, but it seems a bit ostentatious and i want to know what TSR thinks.

I am slender, mid height, wear a grey, tailored slimfit suit with solid color shirts and ties. [A convenient picture of build in my profile pic].
    Is it too much? Taking it too far? Girls, is it something you would consider a guy 'hot' wearing or is it just being a prick...

Mind you, when you intermingle with girls from the local college you DO get lots of attention. :o:
    Waistcoats are sexy! :coma:

Plus, formal clothes are automatically a bonus! I say go for it. :o:
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    My brother wears a light cream linen jacket which makes him stand out.

ReputationRep:
    Yea but is that just with a t-shirt? With a suit its kinda different thing...
    No it's with black trousers, a shirt and tie.

I feel more comfortable wearing more formal attire than tatty jeans and t-shirts.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fire2burn)
    No it's with black trousers, a shirt and tie.

I feel more comfortable wearing more formal attire than tatty jeans and t-shirts.
    Do you not get odd looks at all?

ReputationRep:
    Ok so the first few weeks of Sixth form have been great, and wearing a suit is so much more comfortable in comparison to a school uniform.
    One thing everybody is doing is trying to make themselves look more individual/chic/sharp in their attire. [We have to wear suits, kinda a formal dresscode thing]

I was considering wearing a waistcoat, but it seems a bit ostentatious and i want to know what TSR thinks.

I am slender, mid height, wear a grey, tailored slimfit suit with solid color shirts and ties. [A convenient picture of build in my profile pic].
    Is it too much? Taking it too far? Girls, is it something you would consider a guy 'hot' wearing or is it just being a prick...

Mind you, when you intermingle with girls from the local college you DO get lots of attention. :o:
    Fam. Now you have moved up to suits which are big man garms, you need to make sure your swagger is on point. Make sure all your **** is matching first of all. You could try switching it up and rocking a waistcoast or a sweater vest but make sure they are fly. If you feel to be wearing some bait £10 wasitcoat from Primark you need to dead that. Wearing a hardbody suit will get you attention from the females. Make sure your suit is on point when you go to draw the gyally and you will get nuff poom for real.

Tha_Black_Shinobi out
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    I wear a waistcoat as part of my normal wardrobe :s: think wearing them as part of a suit should be fine :yep:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The Blind Monk)
    Don't joke, there are man-skirts out there...
    Called kilts :p:

I have debated getting a cornish one for events instead of wearing a dinner jacket.

It would be fun!

ReputationRep:
    Lol, a lot of guys wear waistcoats in my sixthform... I say go for it. Some even have a pocket watch to match..... :teehee: No I'm not even joking.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Antitype Chi)
    Wow, do people still adhere to these old dress codes?

Even if waistcoats are too formal/OTT, I still adore them
    Some people do but it's definitely not exactly widespread for people to have their evening wear on point and pretty much nobody owns morning wear any more.

My main objections to the idea of wearing a waistcoat are that it's very rarely done well and also that it requires a certain amount of swagger/self confidence to pull off well. If you have sufficient self confidence/dress sense, you can do the strangest things and look/be fine.

Also, women might say they like things like suits etc but frankly most of them don't even know what constitutes 'good' fit and it is always dependant on the environment. There's a time and place for the 'formal' Huntsman or A&S suit and there's a time and a place for Dior velvet blazers. Not that I'd ever wear a smoking jacket...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by skipp)
    I wear a waistcoat as part of my normal wardrobe :s: think wearing them as part of a suit should be fine :yep:
    Never seen a girl wear a waistcoat in public i must say .

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.