Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ocassus)
    Do you not get odd looks at all?
    Do people give odd looks to people simply for being dressed well?

ReputationRep:
    i happen to be on first name terms with him *flex flex*.

Nice guy though...
    Tom Daly, he knows your name...-GULPS-...Um I think we have a situation here, I am just a few seconds away from combusting. :eek3: :eek3: :eek3:

Oh and I admire your modesty, it makes you even hotter ...Eeer, lets swiftly move away from that and let me stay on topic. I've skimmed through a few pictures on google and I think a waist-coat would look good with the suit you've described. I've tried putting them up on this post but I am not exactly TSR savvy so it didn't work

I think wet-floor signs will be needed everywhere you set foot, a lot of girls will be drooling (keep it clean heh)

ReputationRep:
    I know you have to wear suits, but there's this guy at my college who wheres a suit. He also brings in a brief case. We call him briefcase ******, thank you inbetweeners.

We don't have to wear suits.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Comeheretellme)
    Tom Daly, he knows your name...-GULPS-...Um I think we have a situation here, I am just a few seconds away from combusting. :eek3: :eek3: :eek3:

Oh and I admire your modesty, it makes you even hotter ...Eeer, lets swiftly move away from that and let me stay on topic. I've skimmed through a few pictures on google and I think a waist-coat would look good with the suit you've described. I've tried putting them up on this post but I am not exactly TSR savvy so it didn't work

I think wet-floor signs will be needed everywhere you set foot, a lot of girls will be drooling (keep it clean heh)
    Let me put it this way, i am not the 'suave' one in the group... Girls tend to laugh at/with me not giggle and stare. Its both a blessing and a curse. :moon:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fire2burn)
    Do people give odd looks to people simply for being dressed well?
    In public, yeah... When i walk through town after school going to the train station, even though many of us do it we still get looks. More people also approach me. More people ask me for directions when wearing it, more people smile at me, it has positives and negatives it guess. You can't exactly be inconspicuous...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sovr'gnChancellor£)
    I thought it was only we privates and those from grammar schools that had to wear it.

Do some state school do so also?
    I go to a state sixth form and theres no uniform restrictions at all, and definitely nothing about wearing suits. My secondary school had a uniform but it was just a shirt, tie, jumper etc, no suit again. I don't think state schools/colleges make you wear suits at all now, or at least I've never had to, but I was shocked you still had to in private sixth forms. It just seems very odd they still enforce rules like that.

ReputationRep:

Ph and please don't spontaneously combust we went to the youth olympics together :p:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tieyourmotherdown)
    I go to a state sixth form and theres no uniform restrictions at all, and definitely nothing about wearing suits. My secondary school had a uniform but it was just a shirt, tie, jumper etc, no suit again. I don't think state schools/colleges make you wear suits at all now, or at least I've never had to, but I was shocked you still had to in private sixth forms. It just seems very odd they still enforce rules like that.
    Yes, it is a mandatory thing to do. It is simply habitual - I have thought nothing of it.

Observing a young guy or girl in a suit and distinct tie, you can guess that they are from a private and most of the time a grammar. It is not only to keep order in the school image, but also to promote maturity and responsibility.

I am an upper school prefect - and we arerequired to wear ostensible and distinct ties toshow our 'rank' - if we wore mufti, we would be difficult, if not impossible, to discern.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sovr'gnChancellor£)
    Yes, it is a mandatory thing to do. It is simply habitual - I have thought nothing of it.

Observing a young guy or girl in a suit and distinct tie, you can guess that they are from a private and most of the time a grammar. It is not only to keep order in the school image, but also to promote maturity and responsibility.

I am an upper school prefect - and we arerequired to wear ostensible and distinct ties toshow our 'rank' - if we wore mufti, we would be difficult, if not impossible, to discern.
    I still believe it to be an outdated concept...

ReputationRep:
    Ph and please don't spontaneously combust we went to the youth olympics together :p:
    Haha now stop it! You really want me to explode dont you :

Wow I am actually speaking to a SILVER youth Olympics medalist! It is a small World indeed :p:

So I'm guessing you'll be wearing a waistcoat. No??

ReputationRep:
    Haha now stop it! You really want me to explode dont you :

Wow I am actually speaking to a SILVER youth Olympics medalist! It is a small World indeed :p:

So I'm guessing you'll be wearing a waistcoat. No??
    Still don't know...
    :p:

ReputationRep:
    Still don't know...
    :p:
    Oooh come on! Take the risk, trust me I've done worser things like wearing patent peep-toe shoes with white socks in year 8, and because it had a bit of a kitten heel, I slipped in front of some year 9's haha but people look back at it now and tell me that I was really cool for doing such an (to their eyes) unconventional thing. And if you feel uncomfortable or awkward you could always take the waistcoat off. :o:

But hey, its up to you

But keep me posted if you DO decide to wear it!
    :yep: :yep: :yep:

x

ReputationRep:
    Oooh come on! Take the risk, trust me I've done worser things like wearing patent peep-toe shoes with white socks in year 8, and because it had a bit of a kitten heel, I slipped in front of some year 9's haha but people look back at it now and tell me that I was really cool for doing such an (to their eyes) unconventional thing. And if you feel uncomfortable or awkward you could always take the waistcoat off. :o:

But hey, its up to you

But keep me posted if you DO decide to wear it!
    :yep: :yep: :yep:

x
    . Well glad you like my profile pic/s and I will keep you posted .

ReputationRep:
    I still believe it to be an outdated concept...
    What is? Wearing a suit?

Yes, but if private and grammars abolished suits and thus allowed students to wear anything - they would no longer be unique in their dress. - Otherwise, the only option would be to remain wearing school uniform beyond 5th Form in 6th Form - and we all know what everybody would think of that....

ReputationRep:
    . Well glad you like my profile pic/s and I will keep you posted .
    'tis a pleasurrre.

Ok so the first few weeks of Sixth form have been great, and wearing a suit is so much more comfortable in comparison to a school uniform.
    One thing everybody is doing is trying to make themselves look more individual/chic/sharp in their attire. [We have to wear suits, kinda a formal dresscode thing]

I was considering wearing a waistcoat, but it seems a bit ostentatious and i want to know what TSR thinks.

I am slender, mid height, wear a grey, tailored slimfit suit with solid color shirts and ties. [A convenient picture of build in my profile pic].
    Is it too much? Taking it too far? Girls, is it something you would consider a guy 'hot' wearing or is it just being a prick...

Mind you, when you intermingle with girls from the local college you DO get lots of attention. :o:
    It has nearly been 2 years now, but do you still need advice on how to dress, or are you capable enough now to know what is acceptable and what is not?

ReputationRep:
    Ok so the first few weeks of Sixth form have been great, and wearing a suit is so much more comfortable in comparison to a school uniform.
    One thing everybody is doing is trying to make themselves look more individual/chic/sharp in their attire. [We have to wear suits, kinda a formal dresscode thing]

I was considering wearing a waistcoat, but it seems a bit ostentatious and i want to know what TSR thinks.

I am slender, mid height, wear a grey, tailored slimfit suit with solid color shirts and ties. [A convenient picture of build in my profile pic].
    Is it too much? Taking it too far? Girls, is it something you would consider a guy 'hot' wearing or is it just being a prick...

Mind you, when you intermingle with girls from the local college you DO get lots of attention. :o:
    So long as it's a nice waistcoat, then hell yeah, wear it. And get a handkerchief in your suit pocket. Even if you don't get the waistcoat, definitely get the handkerchief/pocket square/whatever you want to call it.

Oops, two years old.

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.