Turn on thread page Beta

I am thinking of changing my surname because it is a Muslim surname watch

I am from a Muslim country and my family is also Muslim, but they do not practice it. I have a problem because I hate Islam and Muslims, and I do not feel comfortable with my surname as it is a Muslim surname.

But then I am in a dilemma because it is my family surname and has been so for so many generations, so idk. What would you do if you were me?

Should I change my surname or just leave it?

(Original post by Anonymous)
    I am from a Muslim country and my family is also Muslim, but they do not practice it. I have a problem because I hate Islam and Muslims, and I do not feel comfortable with my surname as it is a Muslim surname.

But then I am in a dilemma because it is my family surname and has been so for so many generations, so idk. What would you do if you were me?

its entirely up to you, if you keep your surname, you may be instantly branded as a muslim when going for a job interview or something important, so change your surname from muslim to human

If i were you, i would change it in a heartbeat

ReputationRep:
    Your family aren't Muslims if they do not practise Islam.

If I was in your postition I'd keep my surname simply because it has been so for many generations but if it's effecting you so badly just change it?

ReputationRep:
    People hardly judge people by their surname... so people with Muslim surnames don't get jobs? It will not make you less of a Muslim if you change your name. I don't know why you hate Islam and why you want to change it exactly, but changing it wont make you less Muslim.

P.S: you mean Arabic surname not Muslim right? since "Islam" is not a language...

ReputationRep:
    I doubt people will judge you based solely on your surname.

(Original post by 4TSR)
    People hardly judge people by their surname... so people with Muslim surnames don't get jobs? It will not make you less of a Muslim if you change your name. I don't know why you hate Islam and why you want to change it exactly, but changing it wont make you less Muslim.

P.S: you mean Arabic surname not Muslim right? since "Islam" is not a language...
    It is not about what other people think of me based on my surname. I don't think anybody cares what is my surname, I know that.

I am just doing it for myself, I am not sure if I am comfortable having an Islamic surname. When I say my surname is Muslim, I am saying it comes from the Islamic tradition or whatever, it might have a meaning in Arabic, but it is just a Muslim name.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bazlehman)

ReputationRep:
    What is the surname?

ReputationRep:
    Is it bin Laden?

ReputationRep:

Hmmm... if I were you, I would simply take a long run off a short cliff

ReputationRep:
    Actually job discrimination on the basis of being Muslim in the US has increased. In addition to this, in the UK, the government conducted a study whereby they sent many job applications to various companies across the UK of which they were a number of non-white British names and white British names that 'applied'. The results acquired from this study clearly depicted that the latter was more preferred as they recieved the most postive responses.

But that wouldn't make me change my surname which sounds arabic.

Anyway you can change your name to a less arabic sounding name if you wish to.
    Go ahead, I don't see why you should seek advice on tsr. :dontknow:

ReputationRep:
    There's a difference between Islamic and Arabic you idiot, like Jamil is Arabic and even Christians use this name.

Secondly, how many people here are athiests does that mean they want to change their names because they hate their ex-religion?

You're a pathetic self-hating troll (I mean I know of Muslims that convert to other religions but does that mean that you have to hate Muslims?).

ReputationRep:

:mad:

I think you should change your 1st name too, and to something like Richard so you can be called ****!

ReputationRep:
    A name is just an identifying handle in the end, it doesn't say anything concrete about the person who is attached to it.

If people assume that you are Muslim because of it, you need only politely correct them.
    Your situation is quite common (my partner is it times mistaken as being a Muslim, due to a Muslim-sounding name), and I personally don't think that going through all the bureaucracy and potentially offending family outweighs the potential benefits. Of course that is up to you to decide.

its entirely up to you, if you keep your surname, you may be instantly branded as a muslim when going for a job interview or something important, so change your surname from muslim to human

If i were you, i would change it in a heartbeat
    Most people are not as Islamophobic as this...

ReputationRep:

ReputationRep:
    The reality is alot of ppl when going to jobs will see the name mohammed, yusuf, khan etc and auto reject you or discriminate in some way, the UK is not as tolerant and non racist as ppl like to think, we are just good at hiding it and clever enough to know u dont shout out about it.

(Original post by SomaliMan)
    There's a difference between Islamic and Arabic you idiot, like Jamil is Arabic and even Christians use this name.

Secondly, how many people here are athiests does that mean they want to change their names because they hate their ex-religion?

You're a pathetic self-hating troll (I mean I know of Muslims that convert to other religions but does that mean that you have to hate Muslims?).

You're Asian def.
    This is why I hate Muslims, you are all so abusive and cannot respect anyone of a different belief.

Yes I know there is a difference between Islamic and Arabic. My name is a strictly Islamic name, and I am not from an Arab country. Idiot.

ReputationRep:
    I have an Arabic surname too, it's tragic. :emo:

ReputationRep:
    This is why I hate Muslims, you are all so abusive and cannot respect anyone of a different belief.

Yes I know there is a difference between Islamic and Arabic. My name is a strictly Islamic name, and I am not from an Arab country. Idiot.
    haha abusive what do you expect when you say you hate Muslims, you want a pat on your back or a hug? I didn't claim you were from an Arab country, I'm saying that many Pakistanis, Indonesians have Arab names that are not necessarily Islamic like Jamil.

ReputationRep:

I think we need to establish what your real problem is with islam and muslims. Saying you hate Muslims means you hate the billion Muslim people across the world and that's unreasonable since you haven't met all of them.

Other than that, it's your choice to change your surname.

Poll
Is the Big Bang theory correct?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.