Turn on thread page Beta

I am thinking of changing my surname because it is a Muslim surname watch

Giving in to peer pressure, it's tragic.

I'm not muslim but damn am I proud of my heritage and meaning behind my name.
    At the end of the day I don't want to be like white guys, just another tom, **** & harry (quite literally!).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    I am from a Muslim country and my family is also Muslim, but they do not practice it. I have a problem because I hate Islam and Muslims, and I do not feel comfortable with my surname as it is a Muslim surname.

But then I am in a dilemma because it is my family surname and has been so for so many generations, so idk. What would you do if you were me?

Should I change my surname or just leave it?

The white man will not accept you just because your muslim...you are part of a long line of Targets....Jews,Irish,Blacks,Asi ans,Muslims

so you can change your name but they will still not accept you unless of course you change your skin colour which would just show you have no self confidence

ReputationRep:
    I am from a Muslim country and my family is also Muslim, but they do not practice it. I have a problem because I hate Islam and Muslims, and I do not feel comfortable with my surname as it is a Muslim surname.

But then I am in a dilemma because it is my family surname and has been so for so many generations, so idk. What would you do if you were me?

Your surname doesn't define who you are or what you believe (or it shouldn't) but it does connect you to your own family and your history, and it's something you will pass on if you have children. So I would think it over really carefully before you change it.

ReputationRep:
    OP, you sound terribly insecure and disillusioned, changing your name only affirms this, do what you want, you sound like an awful creature to know.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sandeep90)
    Is it bin Laden?
    :congrats:
    :rofl: superb.

ReputationRep:

Allow bro follow ur deen. dis life is nuttin!

ReputationRep:
    crappy troll is crappy

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Trollish)
    OP, you sound terribly insecure and disillusioned, changing your name only affirms this, do what you want, you sound like an awful creature to know.
    :top:

@ OP

:stupid:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Trollish)
    VERY well put... almost deserving of +rep tbh

ReputationRep:

If you want to ditch the name, why not anglicise it? Either alter it in such a way as to sound more English, or, if it has a meaning, swap it out for the equivalent English surname?

It'd retain some measure of connection with your ancestry whilst ridding you of the name's connotations.

...This assumes, of course, that you care particularly deeply about retaining a connection with your ancestors through your name. Don't be afraid to break away and start afresh with a name of your own choosing- your forefathers have no hold over you, after all.

ReputationRep:
    Changing your surname because you don't like an entire religion seems like a rather materialistic approach to life. Sure, Western culture is discriminating against the Islamic religion. Sure, you might have more luck getting a job interview if your surname was Mathews, or Lewis. But when you turn up to the interview, it isn't going to change much anyway, because they'll take one look at you, see that you're muslim, and bang, we're back to square 1.

That is of course just my opinion; so if you think you'll feel better about yourself if you don't have an islamic surname, go for it.

And if it's any consolation, I have a Welsh surname. How do you think it feels to be eternally associated with sheep-shaggers? :mad:

ReputationRep:
    It is not about what other people think of me based on my surname. I don't think anybody cares what is my surname, I know that.

I am just doing it for myself, I am not sure if I am comfortable having an Islamic surname. When I say my surname is Muslim, I am saying it comes from the Islamic tradition or whatever, it might have a meaning in Arabic, but it is just a Muslim name.
    Can you tell us what it is? I know you are annon for a reason lol, but maybe your name is just arabic/persian and has no islamic backgrounds?

End of the day, do whatever the hell you want and don't worry too much about other people.

If you do change your name, won't your parents/family find out? would they be offended...etc?

ReputationRep:

If you want change your name, do it. If you don't want to, don't. What does tradition mean to you? What does your name symbolise to you? From what I can tell not something positive, ergo change it.

PS, don't be too judgemental. Some Muslims are religious nutters others are ok. You can hate Islam because there are a lot of things that people can hate about it as with any ideology not just Islam, but don't judge the followers. They may not necessarily follow that ideologies beliefs.

ReputationRep:
    I have an ulster scots name.. people think I'm Irish. I'd change it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by barrze)
    I have an ulster scots name.. people think I'm Irish. I'd change it.
    Could be worse... we could all have canadian surnames.

ReputationRep:
    As someone else mentioned; you can always Anglicize your name.
    The reason, you live in an English country and plan to make a success of yourself in the UK.
    It will be a slightly more difficult to be a success if people cant say your name right.
    Remember when Jews went to the USA, most of them changed their names, No need to mention how successful they have became.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 4TSR)
    People hardly judge people by their surname... so people with Muslim surnames don't get jobs? It will not make you less of a Muslim if you change your name. I don't know why you hate Islam and why you want to change it exactly, but changing it wont make you less Muslim.

P.S: you mean Arabic surname not Muslim right? since "Islam" is not a language...
    rubbish..absolute rubbish.,...what world do you leave in......??

People form an instant opinion about you based on your name...it is a trend in today's' society..... Turn in a resume for a job and the first thing the recruiter does is look at your name...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by londonboi88)
    As someone else mentioned; you can always Anglicize your name.
    The reason, you live in an English country and plan to make a success of yourself in the UK.
    It will be a slightly more difficult to be a success if people cant say your name right.
    Remember when Jews went to the USA, most of them changed their names, No need to mention how successful they have became.
    Very true....some of the best and most successful business owners and doctors in the U.S are Jews...

Your name is definitely very important...

ReputationRep:
    Change It Asap!

ReputationRep:
    I do not agree, but it is your choice. Your name after all.

Poll
Which accompaniment is best?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.