Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by isaacstarboy)
    I didn't realise people actually practise for this exam...
    I'm not using them as practice for the exam itself but rather to get my mind in the frame for BMO (which I'm finding difficult to get comfortable with at the moment). Plus I'm bored and I don't want to consume all the STEP papers too quickly...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Farhan.Hanif93)
    I'm not using them as practice for the exam itself but rather to get my mind in the frame for BMO (which I'm finding difficult to get comfortable with at the moment). Plus I'm bored and I don't want to consume all the STEP papers too quickly...
    have you looked here? if you look at the autumn sheets (they're easier), then they're like BMO, but easier, shorter and with answers! http://www.mathcomp.leeds.ac.uk/mentoring/senior/ or you could have a cheeky look at the maclaurin paper here: http://www.mathcomp.leeds.ac.uk/indi...ical-olympiad/ or some nrich questions here: http://nrich.maths.org/6868 (the olympiad page of nrich) i don't really find the SMC questions comparable. BUT, if you don't like BMO because you can't see what the question wants you to do, then here's what i try (and fail):
    factorisation
    modular arithmetic
    basic number theory
    pigeonhole principle
    n choose r
    triangle stuff
    circle theorems
    divisibility tests
    guesswork

i find that, particularly for geometry and combinatorics, its just a case of practice. often, i keep trying for about 1 hour, try everything i can think of, leave it for a few days, come back, try again, then look at answer, slowly, and understand why i failed. if possible, stop reading the answer half way through, and finish it yourself. it works for me!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mc^3)
    have you looked here? if you look at the autumn sheets (they're easier), then they're like BMO, but easier, shorter and with answers! http://www.mathcomp.leeds.ac.uk/mentoring/senior/ or you could have a cheeky look at the maclaurin paper here: http://www.mathcomp.leeds.ac.uk/indi...ical-olympiad/ or some nrich questions here: http://nrich.maths.org/6868 (the olympiad page of nrich) i don't really find the SMC questions comparable. BUT, if you don't like BMO because you can't see what the question wants you to do, then here's what i try (and fail):
    factorisation
    modular arithmetic
    basic number theory
    pigeonhole principle
    n choose r
    triangle stuff
    circle theorems
    divisibility tests
    guesswork

i find that, particularly for geometry and combinatorics, its just a case of practice. often, i keep trying for about 1 hour, try everything i can think of, leave it for a few days, come back, try again, then look at answer, slowly, and understand why i failed. if possible, stop reading the answer half way through, and finish it yourself. it works for me!
    That's brilliant, cheers!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JChoudhry)
    Could you email them to me as well?
    Sure thing, just PM me your e-mail address

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CrystalNeko)
    Our college moodle site has a load, from 04-09, I could save them and e-mail them over to you if nobody else answers. Chances are people will have readily downloadable ones already though but the offer's there xD
    could you possibly do the same for me too??!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kerribbz_x)
    could you possibly do the same for me too??!
    Oops, I am very very sorry for not noticing this!! I hadn't been on TSR in a couple weeks. The Maths Challenge was the other day wasn't it?? Bit late now but if you still want them in preparation for next year (I dunno, you could be super eager? XD) then PM your e-mail!

I'm more likely to receive PMs because I get e-mail notifications whereas I come on TSR irregularly to check for updates.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CrystalNeko)
    Oops, I am very very sorry for not noticing this!! I hadn't been on TSR in a couple weeks. The Maths Challenge was the other day wasn't it?? Bit late now but if you still want them in preparation for next year (I dunno, you could be super eager? XD) then PM your e-mail!

I'm more likely to receive PMs because I get e-mail notifications whereas I come on TSR irregularly to check for updates.
    hahaa don't worry! yeah it was on Thursday! Sadly I will be at uni next year so no maths challenge =( And I only got 89 so I doubt I've made it to the olympiad...sad times haha

ReputationRep:
    Is there ANY chance I've made the BMO with 91?...Last year was 91..08 was 87 . What were the previous years boundaries?

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you rather give up salt or pepper?
    Useful resources

Make your revision easier

Maths

Maths Forum posting guidelines

Not sure where to post? Read the updated guidelines here

Equations

How to use LaTex

Writing equations the easy way

Student revising

Study habits of A* students

Top tips from students who have already aced their exams

Study Planner

Create your own Study Planner

Never miss a deadline again

Polling station sign

Thinking about a maths degree?

Chat with other maths applicants

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.