Turn on thread page Beta
    • Thread Starter

    Say you moved to another country, like Australia for 2 years, then came back to live and go to uni, would you be an international student or home student?

    So somewhere like Austrailia til summer 2012 then here for good.

    • Wiki Support Team

    Wiki Support Team
    Meeting the residence requirements means that you have been living in the UK, for the three years immediately before the start of the academic year in which the course begins, for reasons other than wholly or mainly receiving full time education. You must be living in England, Wales, Scotland or Northern Ireland on the first day of academic year, normally 1st September of that year.


    Depends very strongly on what you're doing.

    To throw a spanner in the works, I'm British, 20, and have been living in China for over a year and will return to the UK for my BA degree next year - by then I will have spent two years here. I came here to study Mandarin. I too was curious about whether or not I'd be an international student. My Dad called up UKCISA and they said that despite the fact I would have been in China for the two years immediately prior to my course, I am considered a Home student with Home fees and support - they were absolutely clear on that fact. Totally certain. I should mark my finance in my UCAS application as the relevant Home support option.

    Their explanation was that while they do have that residency requirement, they (whichever government body/organisation makes the decision, might not be UKCISA themselves) ultimately judge people like me on what they're doing and why. If someone is studying abroad and had the idea to come back for a BA degree or whatnot after a set amount of time, as long as it's not too many years (couldn't give you specifics), then they would still consider that person as a home student. The same goes for people who are working temporarily abroad, even if this is for a year or longer. The clause they base all this on is this one, which is on the link wes provided:

    "If you were away from the country because you or your family were temporarily employed abroad, you may be treated as if your residence in the UK had not been interrupted."

    They don't mention study but UKCISA/Directgov/whichever deciding group see it as the same way. This sentence does not give a specific clue as to how much they consider 'temporary' because they do it like I mentioned above, taking into account your personal circumstances. The residency requirement written sounds strict and bold, but as I've just proved, definitions can be very flexible.

    It depends entirely on your reason for being in Australia. If you're taking up long-term work and didn't plan to come back initially, or are doing anything else that commits you to being there semi-permanently or changing your legal UK residence status, you could well fall outside these requirements and be considered international. If you're doing anything like I've mentioned - temporary study, work, travel or simply staying there temporarily for whatever reason, even for more than a year or two, you're most likely to still be considered a home student.

    However take into consideration that it may also depend on whether or not you have a family home in the UK - i.e. being legally able to reside in your family's residence, house, etc. If in the off chance you have your own independent property and don't have a legal family home in the UK (i.e. the only place you can officially reside is owned/rented by you or someone not your family), then it might be different. Only a guess though - my legal residence in the UK is with my family in our home, so I guess that adds a strength to my home student argument. It's not like I'm living fully independently abroad, I have family support too.
The home of Results and Clearing


people online now


students helped last year
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course


Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.