Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Volunteer work? Help?! watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Since good grades seem to be nowhere near enough for getting into good unis now, I know that I need to be doing more stuff to put on my UCAS etc. ATM I have a Saturday job, hold a position of responsibility in my school and sing in a choir, but don't really do much else. It seems like though that there is nothing volunteer / looks good on ucas wise that doesn't involve camping or trekking (I.e d of e , world challenge type thi gs etc) . Does anyone know of/ has done any good UCAS type things or have any ideas? Help would be much appreciated

ReputationRep:
    Good grades are enough?

But, doing work experience is always good, especially if it's related to what you aim to study. Or you could volunteer at a hospital.

ReputationRep:
    Do you have a school social worker/school counsellor or any kind? If you ask them, they probably have a bunch of volunteer work opportunities that you could do, even though these aren't usually long term.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TimToupetTheGod)
    Since good grades seem to be nowhere near enough for getting into good unis now, I know that I need to be doing more stuff to put on my UCAS etc. ATM I have a Saturday job, hold a position of responsibility in my school and sing in a choir, but don't really do much else. It seems like though that there is nothing volunteer / looks good on ucas wise that doesn't involve camping or trekking (I.e d of e , world challenge type thi gs etc) . Does anyone know of/ has done any good UCAS type things or have any ideas? Help would be much appreciated
    For most courses, it is your academic record that is most important - lots of people get into good unis every year without having done anything much by way of extra-curricular activities.

Check out the individual uni prospectus entries for the courses you plan to apply for and see what - if anything - they say they look for other than academic achievement. If you don't like the sound of what they ask for, have you made the right course choice?

ReputationRep:
    There's absolutely loads of volunteer opportunities, you just need to look for them. Help in an afterschool kids club? Work with disabled young people? Old people's home? Charity shop? Environment conservation? Try asking your careers advisor. They'll have contacts with many places and will know what volunteer work goes on in places.

ReputationRep:
    Have a look on http://www.do-it.org.uk/

ReputationRep:
    home work club, help with a charity, volunteer at an old folks home, anything really.... it would help if it was related to your course, but it doesnt have to be, can be something fun and that you will enjoy

ReputationRep:
    http://vinspired.com/

This is another good site, simply sign up, write in your postcode AND IT FINDS THINGS FOR YOU

It's for 16-25 year olds so basically designed for A-level/ uni students, there's something for everyone, you should create a profile
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by TimToupetTheGod)
    You could do a bit of work experience to do with what you want to do at uni (e.g. in a school, hospital etc). That helps and looks good. Also you could do volunteering with girlguiding/scouting. Being a leader/helping out at your local rainbow/brownie/guide/beavers/cub/scout group look mega good. With that you would go camping etc. There will be plenty of other volunteering oportunities in your area, have a looka round and you should be able to find something. Also you could do the duke of edinburgh award. That looks good too and you can often do it through your school. Or you can do it through girlguiding/scouting too.
    Hope this helps.

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?
Applying to uni

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Graduates celebrate

How to write a good personal statement

Expert PS advice from the people who will read it

Uni match

Uni match

Can't decide where to apply? Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Two students working together

A-Z of universities

Read our guides to unis and colleges from around the UK

A student working on a computer

Personal statement help

Use our tool to get your ideal PS quickly!

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student looking down a microscope

Planning open days

Find upcoming open days and get advice on preparing.

Help out other students

These questions still need an answer

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.