Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    hey my names ollie, and hoping to find someone in a similar situation to myself, having literally just received notification that student finance would not be paying my tuition fees for this year!
    im sure like many i was fobbed off over the phone by a less than helpful advisor and told to go through the appeal procedure!
    to say that this bombshell has come at the 11th hour would be a bit of an understatement as i already enrolled on 21st of September!
    Their reasoning being that I have already received 2 lots of funding due to starting 2 separate courses previously before, one in 03/04 and again in 05/06,
    however, both times i have only received the 1st 2 maintenance payments and to the best of my knowledge NO tuition fees have ever been paid to either institution as i terminated the 1st course before January and for the 2nd course the fees were privately funded anyway!, plus my student finance account only shows the amount outstanding for those payments! which totals under 4000.
    Also i am now 27 and therefore should be classed as an independent student and would have thought i was eligible to be assessed, based on my income for a maintenance grant?
    apparently not!
    they have awarded me a maintenance LOAN of £6643 for this academic year and thats it!
    now maybe im wrong but i was under the impression that each student was entitled to 3 years + 1 ?
    Obviously as i have already "false started" twice before i can see that i present somewhat of a risk to them and i guess they want to see if im serious about studying this time but as its technically money i will still need to payback myself and to inform me at such a late stage that i would not be funded for this year, is surely ridiculous!! ESPECIALLY due to being told, over the phone on the 27th of september by a finance advisor that ALL my funding including tuition fees was in place for THIS year,(just waiting to see my original passport) but to be aware that due to me already owing money it "may" affect my final years tuition fees.
    I think i`ve got good grounds to appeal and hopefully monday i`ll get to actually speak to someone at student finance with some knowledge and authority on the matter (if such a person actually exists!), i know from previous experience that probably 1 in 5 people have problems with student finance but just wondered if anyone else is or has been in a similar situation and what the outcome was?

ReputationRep:
    Duration of the new course +1 less previous academic years where you have been in attendance = entitlement. You were in attendance for the two academic years, hence no entitlement for year one (Regulation 22, The Education (Student Support Regulations 2009).

It's your fault, not SFE's.

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.