The Student Room Group

English people who speak/are learning Mandarin Chinese here?

Are there any English people who are learning Mandarin Chinese here? Or any English native who speaks Mandarin fluently?

I've been learning Mandarin for over a year and finding it an interesting language. The grammar is simple, but the hard thing is remembering the vocabulary because you have to remember the correct tone as well as the word itself. I'm having fun and WILL be fluent eventually; I'm already fairly proficient and can hold conversations.

All I see here is people learning French/Spanish etc, the really obvious languages. But I want to know who's learning Mandarin. Let's share ideas and help each other.
(edited 13 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Mate. Its ridiculously hard. Im trying to learn but its sooo difficult. But yeah. Im gonna try and get it under my belt by the time i graduate.

Ni hao?
Reply 2
TomInce6666
Mate. Its ridiculously hard. Im trying to learn but its sooo difficult. But yeah. Im gonna try and get it under my belt by the time i graduate.

Ni hao?

Get the Michel Thomas Method Mandarin Chinese, it breaks it down and makes it easy to follow. I've seen a lot of courses and this is the best one. You can get it at your local library or, ahem, download it from the internet for free if you know where to look (but I never told you that, right :-) )

The basics aren't as hard as you think. Mastering it on the other hand is one hell of a task. I'm already in too deep to quit now, but it certainly is fun and is a fantastic challenge.

Also, find yourself a native Chinese speaker in your city from voxswap.com or another language exchange site, and you will have a personal teacher at no cost.
(edited 13 years ago)
I'm Chinese and born in England. I speak Cantonese rather than Mandarin though, my mum speaks Mandarin but she's never taught me, well she's tried but I didn't want to learn it :P

I actually applaud anyone willing to learn Mandarin (or Cantonese!) because now that I'm older, I try to learn a bit every now and then. And it's hard. I have a bit of an advantage I guess but it's still hard. Reading and writing especially, I use to be really fluent as a kid but now I can't remember any lol!!

If you're reasonably good with Mandarin already, try watching some Chinese programmes, no I'm serious. This is what I did to pick up Cantonese quicker, watch telly haha! Keep refreshing on the text too but once you can understand Chinese programmes really well then start reading subtitles too and this should help with text (although I've failed to do this yet because my listening/speaking isn't -that- great).

My dad came to England when he was a kid and watched television in Cantonese to learn, so it does work. My mum does the same for Mandarin because it's her second language, Cantonese is her first. So television works wonders for learning a language to a fluent level :'D

You've definitely picked one difficult language! It'll be so useful once you become fluent in it though, good luck! :smile:
Reply 4
CrystalNeko
I'm Chinese and born in England. I speak Cantonese rather than Mandarin though, my mum speaks Mandarin but she's never taught me, well she's tried but I didn't want to learn it :P

I actually applaud anyone willing to learn Mandarin (or Cantonese!) because now that I'm older, I try to learn a bit every now and then. And it's hard. I have a bit of an advantage I guess but it's still hard. Reading and writing especially, I use to be really fluent as a kid but now I can't remember any lol!!

If you're reasonably good with Mandarin already, try watching some Chinese programmes, no I'm serious. This is what I did to pick up Cantonese quicker, watch telly haha! Keep refreshing on the text too but once you can understand Chinese programmes really well then start reading subtitles too and this should help with text (although I've failed to do this yet because my listening/speaking isn't -that- great).

My dad came to England when he was a kid and watched television in Cantonese to learn, so it does work. My mum does the same for Mandarin because it's her second language, Cantonese is her first. So television works wonders for learning a language to a fluent level :'D

You've definitely picked one difficult language! It'll be so useful once you become fluent in it though, good luck! :smile:

Thank you :-) Where can I watch Chinese tv programmes, do you know any websites?

Also, why did you learn Cantonese instead of Mandarin? I thought more people speak Mandarin so it would be more beneficial to learn Mandarin.

From what I know, Cantonese looks more difficult than Mandarin. There are only 4 tones in Mandarin (as well as neutral tone), I've heard there are 8 tones in Cantonese. That must be very difficult!

But yes, you are correct, it will be useful when I get good at it. Very few English people have mastered Mandarin, so it certainly makes me stand out to speak it and I hope to master it in the next few years.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 5
I'd like to learn, and I tried teaching myself the basics but it just wasn't happening.
Beadle's About
Thank you :-) Where can I watch Chinese tv programmes, do you know any websites?

Also, why did you learn Cantonese instead of Mandarin? I thought more people speak Mandarin so it would be more beneficial to learn Mandarin.

From what I know, Cantonese looks more difficult than Mandarin. There are only 4 tones in Mandarin (as well as neutral tone), I've heard there are 8 tones in Cantonese. That must be very difficult!

But yes, you are correct, it will be useful when I get good at it. Very few English people have mastered Mandarin, so it certainly makes me stand out to speak it and I hope to master it in the next few years.

If you have Sky, then 785 (Phoenix TV) have Mandarin shows! I don't really know many websites though, you could always try watching your favourite show in a Mandarin dub haha? XD Or rent out some movies in Mandarin (that's what I did for my French GCSE in fact XD)

Both my parents speak Cantonese and whenever we went over to China it was always in Hong Kong or South China in which the majority speak Cantonese. It's just the main language of where my parents come from I guess so they taught it to me. Naturally I find it much easier to speak Cantonese than Mandarin but I'll probably change my mind once I learn more haha!

Best of luck! I guess most English people don't bother with Mandarin because English is the second most-used language anyway, and Chinese text is really hard to master as they don't use the usual abc alphabet! (unless we're talking pingying here, but I find this harder than normal text LOL, that's just me though)
I'm learning Mandarin! I do it as a third of my degree and I'm currently in Beijing as part of my year abroad. Chinese is definitely my favourite of the languages I do, oh and it's funny when people tell them you study it they go 'oooh Chinese!' :biggrin:

My tuition at Birmingham hasn't always been that great, we spent the whole of first year with a lady who, although lovely, took us at a very slow pace and so upon arriving at our Chinese uni and meeting other students from Newcastle we realised that we were at rather a lower level than them.

I've found that I've improved so much since coming here- my vocabulary has gone through the roof! I still find it really hard to read it aloud though, it comes out really stilted cos a lot of the characters take a while to process in my head. I'm determined I'm gonna get to a proper conversational standard though and I think I should do by the time I leave Beijing.
Reply 8
I'm Chinese and living outside of the UK, and I speak both Cantonese and Mandarin quite fluently. I'm far better at Cantonese, and my parents barely understand English, so it was quite easy for me to pick up Cantonese from an early age. But since you can choose, DON'T LEARN CANTONESE. Non native speakers find Cantonese miles harder than Mandarin, and you can only ever really use Cantonese in Hong Kong or the Southern part of China.

The BBC world service do broadcasts in Mandarin, and you can download podcasts from here:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/zhongwen/simp/services/podcasts.shtml

Hope this helps, and feel free to PM me.
Reply 9
ScarlettDangerfield
I'm learning Mandarin! I do it as a third of my degree and I'm currently in Beijing as part of my year abroad. Chinese is definitely my favourite of the languages I do, oh and it's funny when people tell them you study it they go 'oooh Chinese!' :biggrin:

My tuition at Birmingham hasn't always been that great, we spent the whole of first year with a lady who, although lovely, took us at a very slow pace and so upon arriving at our Chinese uni and meeting other students from Newcastle we realised that we were at rather a lower level than them.

I've found that I've improved so much since coming here- my vocabulary has gone through the roof! I still find it really hard to read it aloud though, it comes out really stilted cos a lot of the characters take a while to process in my head. I'm determined I'm gonna get to a proper conversational standard though and I think I should do by the time I leave Beijing.

You're awesome and you have my utmost respect for this. Keep it going, I fully understand what learning Mandarin is like. Do you read Chinese characters or Pinyin?

You will surely get there if you keep up your efforts. I wish I was in Beijing, you're so lucky.
CrystalNeko
If you have Sky, then 785 (Phoenix TV) have Mandarin shows! I don't really know many websites though, you could always try watching your favourite show in a Mandarin dub haha? XD Or rent out some movies in Mandarin (that's what I did for my French GCSE in fact XD)

Both my parents speak Cantonese and whenever we went over to China it was always in Hong Kong or South China in which the majority speak Cantonese. It's just the main language of where my parents come from I guess so they taught it to me. Naturally I find it much easier to speak Cantonese than Mandarin but I'll probably change my mind once I learn more haha!

Best of luck! I guess most English people don't bother with Mandarin because English is the second most-used language anyway, and Chinese text is really hard to master as they don't use the usual abc alphabet! (unless we're talking pingying here, but I find this harder than normal text LOL, that's just me though)

Thank you, will check those sources out.
Dogatonic
I'm Chinese and living outside of the UK, and I speak both Cantonese and Mandarin quite fluently. I'm far better at Cantonese, and my parents barely understand English, so it was quite easy for me to pick up Cantonese from an early age. But since you can choose, DON'T LEARN CANTONESE. Non native speakers find Cantonese miles harder than Mandarin, and you can only ever really use Cantonese in Hong Kong or the Southern part of China.

The BBC world service do broadcasts in Mandarin, and you can download podcasts from here:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/zhongwen/simp/services/podcasts.shtml

Hope this helps, and feel free to PM me.

Thanks. I just clicked that link and it's all written in Chinese, I've no idea what any of it means but I'll watch the programmes :-)

I will PM you soon, as I have some questions about Mandarin word order that have been confusing me, if you can help I would be grateful.
Beadle's About
You're awesome and you have my utmost respect for this. Keep it going, I fully understand what learning Mandarin is like. Do you read Chinese characters or Pinyin?

You will surely get there if you keep up your efforts. I wish I was in Beijing, you're so lucky.

Haha thankyou! Beijing is crazy, it took a bit of getting used to but now I've been here a month and I realise that being here is an opportunity that I'm probably never gonna have again so I'm making the most of it.

In first and second year at Birmingham our textbook had characters with pinyin written just beneath so it was very hard not to just read the pinyin. Now we read exclusively characters which, although hard, is incredibly useful in terms of cementing vocab in your head.

How are you finding tones? I found them really hard to get the hang of at first!
ScarlettDangerfield
Haha thankyou! Beijing is crazy, it took a bit of getting used to but now I've been here a month and I realise that being here is an opportunity that I'm probably never gonna have again so I'm making the most of it.

In first and second year at Birmingham our textbook had characters with pinyin written just beneath so it was very hard not to just read the pinyin. Now we read exclusively characters which, although hard, is incredibly useful in terms of cementing vocab in your head.

How are you finding tones? I found them really hard to get the hang of at first!

I wish I was learning in Beijing instead of Manchester haha.

I don't find the tones themselves hard at all. It's REMEMBERING WHICH tone to use with the word that is hard for me. Other languages don't have tones, so the vocab isn't too hard, but in Chinese you have to remember the word AND the tone or you won't be understood.

Speaking the correct tone while speaking at a reasonable pace is harder, though. It's easy to get the tone at slower speeds, but when speaking up it's definitely more challenging. But then that's all part of the fun.

Props for learning to read Chinese text. I don't read it yet (only Pinyin), but definitely want to in the future.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 14
Yup I've been studying it for about a year too through some university classes. We went to China this summer as well, for a cultural exchange course. It was a week in Beijing and then a month in Weihai, Shandong Province. It was the best summer I've had! Fantastic time! And it was a great way to brush up on my Chinese skills a bit, and make it a little more colloquial rather than stiff, formal speech :p:

We'll be starting back on our Mandarin classes soon, can't wait! The Hanzi is deifnitely my favourite part of learning Chinese, it comes quite naturally to me because I started learning Japanese when I was a bit younger so I already had experience with characters through Kanji :smile:
Reply 15
I have been using http://www.iqchinese.co.uk/basic-iq-chinese.html for a while, unfortunately it isn't free :frown:
I've given up a long time ago. too many characters to remember in my pea-sized brain.
Stick with english, only 26 alphabets !
Reply 17
Dogatonic

My dad is from Hong Kong and he is forcing me to learn Cantonese :sad: There are also a lot of Cantonese speakers in Kuala Lumpur, as far as I know!
Reply 18
I am a Chinese who is learning English. I can speak Mandarin Chinese very fluently, and my English need to be further improved. I guess we can help each other!!
I understand Mandarin fluently now but can only speak broken. Some family members teach me to read it but I've only managed numbers and six other characters. When I was four, I missed most of reception and spent it in a Mandarin Chinese school with my cousin abroad, so that helped. Lol i do get lots of relatives trying to teach me, after I help my cousin with her english homework, she always whips out her kindergarten books and starts bossing me around :L

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending