Turn on thread page Beta

Suggestions on keeping expenses down watch

ReputationRep:
    Okay, so here's the situation.

I've spent the last couple of years in university, and almost every month of those two years, I've managed to hit my overdraft limit. Now, this wouldn't be a problem if it were with one or two days to go till I next received whatever support I was getting. The problem was, was that this was happening probably ten days before said payment.

I despise borrowing money, and unfortunately (for my friends) I've had to bum off them.

I'm sure that amongst the entire student population in England, there has to be at least one 'sensible' person amongst you who has found a good way of avoiding spending money wherever possible, and thus not falling prey to the bank's abominable charges for going 1p over your limit.

On a side-note, I smoke like a chimney. If I didn't smoke though, I'd drink, which'd come out far more expensive in the end by my estimate. Boy's gotta have at least one addiction :eek3:

ReputationRep:
    Try replacing **** with food instread of drink. = yummier and cheaper.

Otherwise, just live like a normal person and you should stay out of debt. I don;t understand how people get deep into overdrafts: I completed a degree in London and didn;t touch mine, regardeless of hitting the pub about 5 times a week. Just be'ave!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JDI)
    Try replacing **** with food instread of drink. = yummier and cheaper.

Otherwise, just live like a normal person and you should stay out of debt. I don;t understand how people get deep into overdrafts: I completed a degree in London and didn;t touch mine, regardeless of hitting the pub about 5 times a week. Just be'ave!
    Yeah, I think the "living like a normal person" might be part of the problem. I am abhorrently lazy. On the kind of scale of "Eeeh, can I be bothered to go fetch the ice cream from the fridge" kind of lazy.

On a serious note, I really don't understand how I manage it. I give myself a £10 limit a day (more than enough for a pack of **** and a few things at Asda; maybe even a pint if I feel like it), and I still have myself going hungry by the end of the month...

ReputationRep:
    I don't understand how people go into their overdrafts if they aren't insuring a car and keeping it going. I wouldn't be too worried if I were you!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lathian)
    Yeah, I think the "living like a normal person" might be part of the problem. I am abhorrently lazy. On the kind of scale of "Eeeh, can I be bothered to go fetch the ice cream from the fridge" kind of lazy.

On a serious note, I really don't understand how I manage it. I give myself a £10 limit a day (more than enough for a pack of **** and a few things at Asda; maybe even a pint if I feel like it), and I still have myself going hungry by the end of the month...
    Why is your ice cream in the fridge? Error.

But on my "serious" note, mate, tenner a DAY? I can easily get an entire week's worth of foood for a tenner and drinks are about the same again (plus a wink here and a "Sure, I'll call you" there). I know its easier said than done, ut if you want cash, give up the ****.

ReputationRep:
    Surely this is common sense? If you want to have more money, spend less....

You are the only one who knows what you spend it all on, so the only solution to your problem is to earn more or spend less.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JDI)

But on my "serious" note, mate, tenner a DAY? I can easily get an entire week's worth of foood for a tenner and drinks are about the same again (plus a wink here and a "Sure, I'll call you" there). I know its easier said than done, ut if you want cash, give up the ****.
    In fairness, melted tiramisu ice cream is actually one of the best things I've ever eaten. And I know, not smoking would make my life a hell of a lot easier, health-wise, and money-wise. S'not easy to stop though. By my calculations, I waste an average of 80-100 a month on ****, out of a budget of 300. So yeah, basically. Smoking's my problem.

How often do you spend £10 a day? Even if you didn't cut down on the smoking reducing the tenner would leave a lot left over. Does the tenner cover going out expenses as well or is it just food? :unsure:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by thetopnotch)
    How often do you spend £10 a day? Even if you didn't cut down on the smoking reducing the tenner would leave a lot left over. Does the tenner cover going out expenses as well or is it just food? :unsure:
    It depends. Occasionally I'll spend just £5 one day, and the next three I'll spend £10. I think one of the problems might stem from the fact that I don't actually think much about saving. I go with the following principle: "X money per month, divide x by the days of the month". It's simpler. Also, money tends to burn holes in my pocket. That, or when I'm smoking and I put my hand in said pocket. :yep:

It depends. Occasionally I'll spend just £5 one day, and the next three I'll spend £10. I think one of the problems might stem from the fact that I don't actually think much about saving. I go with the following principle: "X money per month, divide x by the days of the month". It's simpler. Also, money tends to burn holes in my pocket. That, or when I'm smoking and I put my hand in said pocket. :yep:
    Try setting a budget for the next one week (rather than per day) and see if you can stick to it. How do you go about doing your food shop anyway? Try to spend £10-20 on one week's shop and see if you can eat as much as possible from that.

ReputationRep:
    I am trying my hardest to save.

buy a weekly bus pass or train pass
    I steal bog roll from uni and public places, saves money every week
    take scrap paper from uni too
    I piss in the sink at home
    when I am at uni I like to leave the tap running for ages when I am washing my hands, as a treat to myself for bring so frugal

don't buy dvd's or albums, cd's and whatever, they are a waste of money

ReputationRep:
    Okay, so here's the situation.

I've spent the last couple of years in university, and almost every month of those two years, I've managed to hit my overdraft limit. Now, this wouldn't be a problem if it were with one or two days to go till I next received whatever support I was getting. The problem was, was that this was happening probably ten days before said payment.

I despise borrowing money, and unfortunately (for my friends) I've had to bum off them.

I'm sure that amongst the entire student population in England, there has to be at least one 'sensible' person amongst you who has found a good way of avoiding spending money wherever possible, and thus not falling prey to the bank's abominable charges for going 1p over your limit.

On a side-note, I smoke like a chimney. If I didn't smoke though, I'd drink, which'd come out far more expensive in the end by my estimate. Boy's gotta have at least one addiction :eek3:
    Okay, if you really want help you will have to break down how much your budget is, you mentioned £300 per month, so i assume you have over £3000 for the year left after accomidation. Does your £300 include food and travel costs? What direct debits do you have?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by thetopnotch)
    Try setting a budget for the next one week (rather than per day) and see if you can stick to it. How do you go about doing your food shop anyway? Try to spend £10-20 on one week's shop and see if you can eat as much as possible from that.
    Generally I just go into the shop, without any particular thing I need, and pick what catches my interest food-wise... I'll try your suggestion though.

ReputationRep:
    You should just write down all the stuff you buy in a day.

You'll probably look at it and go "why the hell did I spend £x on that?" every so often.

Keeping any form of record will help in realising how much useless stuff you might buy, or stuff that you could get cheaper elsewhere.

ReputationRep:
    Generally I just go into the shop, without any particular thing I need, and pick what catches my interest food-wise... I'll try your suggestion though.
    Thats one of your big problems in my opinion, buy three days worth of food twice a week (a takeaway one day a week), if you do this you will spend as much as half, especially if you buy three cigarette packets and only have one a day.

ReputationRep:
    Budgeting day to day means you'll go out thinking you have loads, buy coffees, **** etc then get to the end of the day and go "bugger, forgot about dinner". Do a weekly shop- buy meat when it's on offer and freeze it. You should be able to eat well for 25-30 a week and split what's left after you buy essentials between days. That is, at the start of the week make sure you have enough food, toiletries, bus fares etc to see you all the way through the week- whatever's left is yours.

ReputationRep:
    Thank you all for your suggestions, they have helped. On a good note however, being an Erasmus student on a work placement, I'll be getting paid twice as much this year! \o/ So I can keep going on with my life of debauchery and luxury.

J/k, I'm going to try and make a conceited effort to save money this year. God knows I'm going to need it next year when I go back to university...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hoody555)
    I don't understand how people go into their overdrafts if they aren't insuring a car and keeping it going!
    Well I can tell you how;

Student Loan = Not enough to pay for rent, food and bills.

I got into my overdraft in the summer of my first year and Im still living off it - My parents give me no money they cant afford to, but the government reckons they earn enough to support me.

My rent alone comes to about two thirds of my loan for the year and I live in a place a lot cheaper than other students I know.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by suzie101)
    Well I can tell you how;

Student Loan = Not enough to pay for rent, food and bills.

I got into my overdraft in the summer of my first year and Im still living off it - My parents give me no money they cant afford to, but the government reckons they earn enough to support me.

My rent alone comes to about two thirds of my loan for the year and I live in a place a lot cheaper than other students I know.

Yeah I get max loans on everything, I forgot about those who don't get all of it, MY BAD

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JDI)

How on earth do you buy a tenners worth of food in a week? I spend about £80 a week on food between myself and my partner. That is nuts.

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.