Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
    Offline

    0
    ReputationRep:
    do it! i didnt even have that bad teeth and i got them (it was earlier but i was much more self conscious when i was 15 than i am now at 18) and people are always saying how good my teeth look.
    My advice is, if you want to get them off as fast as possible, do EVERYTHING the orthodontist says. I was due to have mine on for 18 months and only had them on for 10 which my orthodontist said was because i did everything like wearing my retainer as often as i was meant to and taking good care of them.
    Good luck!
    Offline

    1
    ReputationRep:
    Don't worry about it. I think they look cute! You're right that at uni very few people have them, but honestly people don't really notice or think about it faster than a fleeting "oh hey, braces" reaction. My friend had full metal ones and it took me about two months to notice she'd had hers taken off as I didn't even really see them anymore!
    • Thread Starter
    Offline

    10
    ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AmyJ)
    Vanity is an awful quality, and being that you're so afflicted with it, I wouldn't advise getting a brace. God knows, it might teach you some humility.
    Oh get over it, everyone is vain up to a point (except from you obviously, since you seem so offended by it) and as a young female I don't think I'm being such a terrible person for worrying about getting braces when I'm a little older and at University. I think I can quite safely assume that 99% of people would have similar reservations. The other 1% of course, being the perfect you.
    Offline

    13
    ReputationRep:
    I am 26, doing my masters degree at uni and I have braces! No one has even mentioned them, but I have the ceramic ones so perhaps they havent seen them, but I suspect they have.

    Its really no big deal.
    Offline

    0
    ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AmyJ)
    Vanity is an awful quality, and being that you're so afflicted with it, I wouldn't advise getting a brace. God knows, it might teach you some humility.
    Oh piss off, you self-righteous bore.
    Offline

    0
    ReputationRep:
    Im 23 and have braces but they are ceramic ones and hardly noticeable, you should go for those ones if youre worried, though you do have to pay.
    Offline

    16
    ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ياسمين)
    Oh get over it, everyone is vain up to a point (except from you obviously, since you seem so offended by it) and as a young female I don't think I'm being such a terrible person for worrying about getting braces when I'm a little older and at University. I think I can quite safely assume that 99% of people would have similar reservations. The other 1% of course, being the perfect you.
    Your reservations about braces would have been fine if you didn't feel the need to precede them with "I just spent thousands of pounds on clothes, a brace will diminish their effect!" :rolleyes: :rolleyes: . It sounds so incredibly shallow. I'd actually like a brace myself and have similar worries about being too old etc, but not the extent where I'd panic that they didn't fit with my wardrobe . Try and get clear ones?
    Offline

    16
    ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Persephone.)
    Oh piss off, you self-righteous bore.
    Why thanks. Who the hell are you?
    Offline

    0
    ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AmyJ)
    Why thanks. Who the hell are you?
    I could ask you the same.
    Offline

    14
    ReputationRep:
    I'm 22, at uni with braces. Have had them on a year now and around 8 months to go and I cannot wait to get rid of them. Of course I think it's worth it otherwise I wouldn't have had them, but at the same time, a hell of a lot of photos get taken in uni and every time I see mine I think I'd look better without braces (I'm also similarly afflicted by vanity).
    Looking good means a lot to me, so I see it as an investment in my appearance. Of course I wish I'd done it when I was younger, but my teeth weren't bad enough for NHS and only now have I saved up enough to pay for them, so its not like I had any other option.
    Offline

    12
    ReputationRep:
    I am 16 and I have some now (not train tracks). When I am 17 Im gonna get train tracks for 18 months and so ill have them at uni for a couple of months. Youll regret it when your 30 ish cuz youll be working then and you don't see many people on the job with braces so youll stand out more.

    Look at these anyway they are invisible braces and the literally hide the fact that you have braces.

    http://www.invisalign.co.uk/en/Pages/Home.aspx
    Offline

    14
    ReputationRep:
    I'm at uni with braces, nobody has commented. Why would they?

    ETA: I've only just realised I haven't seen anyone else with braces at uni yet. :rofl:
    *special snowflake* :awesome:
    Offline

    0
    ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AmyJ)
    Your reservations about braces would have been fine if you didn't feel the need to precede them with "I just spent thousands of pounds on clothes, a brace will diminish their effect!" :rolleyes: :rolleyes: . It sounds so incredibly shallow. I'd actually like a brace myself and have similar worries about being too old etc, but not the extent where I'd panic that they didn't fit with my wardrobe . Try and get clear ones?
    bimbo
    Offline

    14
    ReputationRep:
    You will probably become known as brace face at your university but it's not necessarily a bad thing
    Offline

    0
    ReputationRep:
    I h
    Offline

    2
    ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ياسمين)
    Hi

    I'm nearly 20, and for some reason decided not to go ahead with braces when I was 16. I now really wish I had and I'm self conscious about my smile - I even had two teeth removed at the side to make room for braces but then I was too vain to go ahead with it! Ironically, the missing teeth later on are making me feel self conscious too.

    I live with my boyfriend, and I'm a first year at Uni. The stupid thing is that I don't want braces because I've just spent thousands on new clothes and makeup and I feel like if I got braces now, it will just diminish their effect (I'm stupid and vain).

    Has anyone else had braces when they're a bit older? Do you think I should go ahead with it?

    Thanks
    There was a girl in my class who got braces in first year, kept them to the end of second year. She still liked to dress up a lot and was very "girly", and while people did notice them they didn't suddenly make her look bad. She still got plenty of attention and was seen as attractive, if that's what you're worried about.

    She was quite self-conscious at times and would sometimes hold her hand over her mouth, but it didn't take much for her to forget about it and just act normally.

    (And If you're self conscious about your teeth anyway what's the harm?)
    Offline

    14
    ReputationRep:
    (Original post by coolmushroom)
    You will probably become known as brace face at your university but it's not necessarily a bad thing
    I got braces at 16...have yet to be called brace face? It's not pre-school... :o:

    Oh, and inb4 predictable idiot calling me brace face.
    Offline

    15
    ReputationRep:
    I'm 19 and I have braces, they will be on until I'm most likely 21 now. They're half ceramic, half metal and really not overly noticeable. When I first got them it took a couple of weeks for a lot of people to realise they were even there and even then no one made a big deal of it.

    My orthodontist said he has a lot of adult patients who even wear the fixed metal braces. It's merely a sign you're having a bit of work done - nothing to be ashamed of. Like others have said too you're not 12 anymore, everyone around you will be mature enough not to make you feel self concious about it.
    Offline

    2
    ReputationRep:
    Hooray for us who have braces!!!
    Offline

    14
    ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Cicerao)
    I got braces at 16...have yet to be called brace face? It's not pre-school... :o:

    Oh, and inb4 predictable idiot calling me brace face.
    Hey brace face! :P: I was joking about the whole brace face thing .
 
 
 
Reply
Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: October 4, 2010
Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Reply
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.