Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Five Foot Two aged 16. Is this worrying? Should I seek medical advice watch

Hello there. I'm 16, 17 by the end of October, and only 5' 2 (and maybe a half) inches. I'm definately the shortest boy in my year, even those who were shorter a year or two ago have shot past me, and I'm starting to worry if I really do have a growth spurt 'just around the corner' as I have been hoping.

My parents are both below average height at 5' 3" or 5' 4" for my mum and 5' 5" or 5' 6" so I'm not expecting to ever be even average height let alone a John Cleese but I really don't want to be a Ronnie Corbett.

The most worrying thing is that my brother, three whole years my younger, is now my height and looking to overtake. I always did expect he would be taller than me eventually as he takes after my father and I after my mother but I wasn't expecting it this early.

So, to sum up, has anybody else been in my posistion but reached a 'normal' height? Should I seek professional advice or am I jumping the gun?

Thank you all for reading so far, all advice welcome.

ReputationRep:
    You're just short, deal with it.

(Original post by thejonsmith)
    You're just short, deal with it.
    I'm not worried about just being short as such. I've aceepted the fact I'm always going to be shorter than most people but I'd rather be a 5'6" short than a 5' 2" short. I hope that makes sense.

ReputationRep:
    5'4" is average for an adult woman. 5'6" which you claim is a better 'short' height is taller than average. In other words, not short at all. You are 2 inches or 5cm below average. It is considered medically worrying when you are 20% below average height. Some people are 5ft or 5'8" - both of which are 4 inches below/above average which again, is totally normal variation. Others are even taller or shorter.. again, normal. 5'2" is very very normal, and I bet you know tons of girls your height.

Also, your brother is male I assume. It's not abnormal for a younger teen boy to overtake his 16 year old sister in height.

ReputationRep:
    Seek Medical Help.

ReputationRep:
    You can't really do anything about it. People who are 5"6 may want to be 5"10, but you cant do anything about it; you just have to deal with it.

I have a friend who was always kind of short (5"3/5"4) and past year and a half (when he was 17/18) he shot up to 5"7. My cousin was about 5"5 till about 19, then 19-20 he shot up to 6"1. So if you havent had your growth spurt yet, it could be around the corner as you said.

Even if you don't though, just be fine with it

ReputationRep:
    Haha. Lol. You should be fine. You stop growing in around your 20's

ReputationRep:

Also, your brother is male I assume. It's not abnormal for a younger teen boy to overtake his 16 year old sister in height.

The OP is male.

ReputationRep:
    i'm sixteen and 5'2 also.
    I don't think you need to seek medical help.. it's not like you have stunted growth or anything - your just short like me
    you might have a growth spurt in a few years as you still have plenty of time left to grow anyway, but even if you don't it's not a big deal

my parents are 5'6 and 5'8 and my twin brother is 5'11! it just depends on your genes. maybe your grandparents were small?

however, if you're THAT concerned, you could go see a doctor but I don't think there's much that can be done really. How's your diet?

(Original post by ياسمين)
    5'4" is average for an adult woman. 5'6" which you claim is a better 'short' height is taller than average. In other words, not short at all. You are 2 inches or 5cm below average. It is considered medically worrying when you are 20% below average height. Some people are 5ft or 5'8" - both of which are 4 inches below/above average which again, is totally normal variation. Others are even taller or shorter.. again, normal. 5'2" is very very normal, and I bet you know tons of girls your height.

I should have perhaps mentioned that I am a man. I did say that other boys had overtaken me in height but I'll admit that I was rather obscure. Thank you for your input anyway.

ReputationRep:

The OP is a boy, but I know people who have grown taller than their older brother especially at these ages. Nothing to be worried about.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    I should have perhaps mentioned that I am a man. I did say that other boys had overtaken me in height but I'll admit that I was rather obscure. Thank you for your input anyway.
    Oh, I'm sorry. I thought it was a bit weird a girl asking if 5'2" was too short when that's pretty average lol. Anyway the 20% below average thing still sits for guys . You're fine, there are actually a lot of shorter guys around. It's not a medical problem it's just being short - Bobby Valentino is 5'3" and he's not even famous for being short and a lot of people don't know that, and those who are known for being short like Prince or Danny deVito are several inches shorter than you :yep:

I'm short too - I'm a 5ft girl. Lots of much younger girls are taller, that's just normal. If someone is going to be a taller adult (and healthy adult height varies a lot) then they're going to start reaching that taller height as kids so I wouldn't worry about your brother. Look at Kylie and Kendall Jenner, they're like 11 and 14 and they are wayyy taller than their thirty-something sisters Kim and Kourtney Kardashian!

ReputationRep:

I think the average for men in the UK is 5'9". So under your 20% rule any average adult male under 4'8" is in trouble.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    I'm not worried about just being short as such. I've aceepted the fact I'm always going to be shorter than most people but I'd rather be a 5'6" short than a 5' 2" short. I hope that makes sense.
    What exaitly do you expect a doctor to do? Make your legs longer or prescribe you a pair of stilts?

ReputationRep:
    I'm a girl, 5'0", nearly 20 (so not going to grow any more) and my 14 year old sister is already 5'4" and still growing. You just have to put up with the sibling thing. Being short isn't too bad, it'll make you stand out in a crowd I've just learnt to live with it, I'm afraid you'll have to too.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TurkeyProphet)
    I think the average for men in the UK is 5'9". So under your 20% rule any average adult male under 4'8" is in trouble.
    It's not my rule. As far as I'm aware, it's around that height that short stature (still doesn't mean it's a problem) qualifies one for medical treatment as a teenager or qualifies one to join a 'little people's society' aka makes one a midget. Being a midget is not the same as having dwarfism, as it isn't a deformity so it's troublesome to put a figure on it I agree. As I have seen men who look to be 4'8" or under and just appear to be particularly short people within the range of normal adult variation. At least this is what I learned as a physio student. Unless you're talking about my 4'4" calculation which was just a guess :P Anyway the OP is fine at 5'2" that's all I mean

Being short isn't a bad thing at all. I'm a 5ft tall girl and not sensitive about it - I haven't 'learned to live with it' just like I'm assuming a 5'8" girl hasn't had to learn to live with it. It just is. It's like different coloured hair or eyes.. just different looks, none inferior to the other.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    You're just short- you cant really do anything about it. Theres no need to seek medical help or anything.

ReputationRep:
    Wear Heels Everyday.

Your short there's nothing you can do about it..just live with it dude...
    Im skinny and i know ill be like this forever (Thanks 2 my mum for the skinny gene -.-) Its always the mums fault aint it...

ReputationRep:
    Hello there. I'm 16, 17 by the end of October, and only 5' 2 (and maybe a half) inches. I'm definately the shortest boy in my year, even those who were shorter a year or two ago have shot past me, and I'm starting to worry if I really do have a growth spurt 'just around the corner' as I have been hoping.

My parents are both below average height at 5' 3" or 5' 4" for my mum and 5' 5" or 5' 6" so I'm not expecting to ever be even average height let alone a John Cleese but I really don't want to be a Ronnie Corbett.

The most worrying thing is that my brother, three whole years my younger, is now my height and looking to overtake. I always did expect he would be taller than me eventually as he takes after my father and I after my mother but I wasn't expecting it this early.

So, to sum up, has anybody else been in my posistion but reached a 'normal' height? Should I seek professional advice or am I jumping the gun?

Thank you all for reading so far, all advice welcome.

Aw hun, I am 5''2 as well, I am 15 and A GIRL. I should be the one worried because us females, stop growing around the age of 16, and I haven't had my growth spurt yet. Males however, can continue growing up to the age of 21. You have nothing to worry about. Well at the moment.

I completely undestand how you feel; I used to be on the 'taller' side in year 7,now in year 11, theres only 3 people shorter than me (I think one of them is
    a dwarf, seriously!). I mean, I have started to embrace being short, but man, like EVERYDAY someone has the audacity to mention ''OH MY GOD YOU'RE SHOOORT, DAMN'', or ''WOW YOU'RE SHRINKING''. And to make matters worse, the tallest people come and stand next to me for height 'comparison' whilst their friends are egging him/her for being so tall. I usually take it lightly and laugh but it makes me sick to have to hear it EVERYDAY!

But luckily for me, my mother is 5''6 and father 6''4 or taller. But dont worry too much about you completely inheriting your 'rents heights. Yes, we inherit our parent's genes, but we are also individuals. My old English teacher was 5''6 and he embraced his height, and he still had the ladies on him like a rash! (What a **** similie eh?).

Best of luck. Feel free to PM me!

X
    :yep: :yep: :yep:

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: October 4, 2010
Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.