Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Five Foot Two aged 16. Is this worrying? Should I seek medical advice watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    You can get an endocrinologist to do something about it. They're pretty good at this thing.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    Your short there's nothing you can do about it..just live with it dude...
    Im skinny and i know ill be like this forever (Thanks 2 my mum for the skinny gene -.-) Its always the mums fault aint it...
    LOL. Just eat more.

ReputationRep:
    It's ok. You're taller than nitez.

ReputationRep:
    You're just short. Man up.

ReputationRep:
    Some people are just short.

ReputationRep:
    Hello there. I'm 16, 17 by the end of October, and only 5' 2 (and maybe a half) inches. I'm definitely the shortest boy in my year, even those who were shorter a year or two ago have shot past me, and I'm starting to worry if I really do have a growth spurt 'just around the corner' as I have been hoping.

My parents are both below average height at 5' 3" or 5' 4" for my mum and 5' 5" or 5' 6" so I'm not expecting to ever be even average height let alone a John Cleese but I really don't want to be a Ronnie Corbett.

The most worrying thing is that my brother, three whole years my younger, is now my height and looking to overtake. I always did expect he would be taller than me eventually as he takes after my father and I after my mother but I wasn't expecting it this early.

So, to sum up, has anybody else been in my posistion but reached a 'normal' height? Should I seek professional advice or am I jumping the gun?

Thank you all for reading so far, all advice welcome.
    Several things...you could just be short...or you could have constitutional growth delay. Have you actually started puberty? Might sound like a daft question, but some people are delayed in that respect, so perhaps your growth spurt is yet to come.

See your GP, there's no harm in asking.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Democracy)
    Several things...you could just be short...or you could have constitutional growth delay. Have you actually started puberty? Might sound like a daft question, but some people are delayed in that respect, so perhaps your growth spurt is yet to come.

See your GP, there's no harm in asking.
    This. You'll be kicking yourself if, three years hence, your diminutive stature is attributed to some kind of hormonal deficiency that could easily have been remedied.

ReputationRep:
    I'm 17 and 5ft 1. My parents are both tall and my sister is three years younger than me, yet is a good inch or so taller than me. It's completely fine.

ReputationRep:
    My mum is 5'1", I was 5'2" when I was 15 I remember being measured in stats, I think by 18 I was 5'7"/5'8" and now at 22 I'm just under 6ft. I was worried too and one of the smallest in the class, very funny seeing people now who had their growth spurt early and much taller than me in school. My dad is 5'11" though and my mums brother 6'1" who I look like apparently, so not exactly the same as you

ReputationRep:
    We're in such a similar situation! I'm about 5"1, and my sister is three years younger than me and is around the same height, looking to overtake me. I'm a girl though, so I'm not really bothered as guys apparently like short girls :p: Sorry, I've been no help at all! There's nothing you can do tbh... you'll just have to face the fact that you're always going to be short.

ReputationRep:
    It can be hard to be the short one in a group but I guess it's something you can get used to. If your voice hasn't broken then you will almost defiantely grow some more and if it had there is still a chance you aill grow a few more inches - you don't stop till you are in your 20s. I know people who grew 1 or 2 inches at university!

ReputationRep:
    You could be a midget stripper

ReputationRep:
    Hello there. I'm 16, 17 by the end of October, and only 5' 2 (and maybe a half) inches. I'm definately the shortest boy in my year, even those who were shorter a year or two ago have shot past me, and I'm starting to worry if I really do have a growth spurt 'just around the corner' as I have been hoping.

My parents are both below average height at 5' 3" or 5' 4" for my mum and 5' 5" or 5' 6" so I'm not expecting to ever be even average height let alone a John Cleese but I really don't want to be a Ronnie Corbett.

The most worrying thing is that my brother, three whole years my younger, is now my height and looking to overtake. I always did expect he would be taller than me eventually as he takes after my father and I after my mother but I wasn't expecting it this early.

So, to sum up, has anybody else been in my posistion but reached a 'normal' height? Should I seek professional advice or am I jumping the gun?

Thank you all for reading so far, all advice welcome.
    dude! ensure you get enough PROTEIN to maximise your height. i used to be vegan and a fussy eater, but then i started drinking half a litre of milk per day when i was 19 and grew 2 inches between the age of 19 - 21

Learn to be happy the way you are.

ReputationRep:
    Heh. I'm small as it is, an 18 year old girl at 4"10 or something... we're just small, deal with it =/

ReputationRep:
    I'm amazed that in the health forum of all places there are so many people saying get over it, the normal responce here is "quick, go to A&E".

As democracy says you should go and see your GP if you have concerns. With regards to this 20% rule, of far more importance is your estimated adult height based on your parents, and whether you have stayed on the same centiles (I'm guessing somewhere you might have a red book!) I would also want to know the rest of your developmental status.

I would find this a very vaild reason for somebody coming to see me as a GP.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: October 4, 2010
Poll
Do you like carrot cake?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.