Turn on thread page Beta

Mature Student (21 year lol) Wanting to go UNI watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Morning all!

Just wanna say hello first off!

Basically i come with a question as well! 21 yr of age and im working in the city for the last 2 years but im thinking of going uni! well actually i want to go uni! the only problem is i took a BTEC after school in IT and got a Merit Merit Pass. But the course i want to do is Sports Science!! :eek: i know its completly different subject but sports is always something ive had a passion for so hence the change in career.

Couple of questions is;

1 - How easy is it for a mature (21 being mature!!lol) student to go into uni doing a completly different subject than the one you done at college? Is it just an interview and they take it as special circumstances
    2 - Also would it be better if i went back to college and done say a couple of relevent courses and done some exams in June and then applied for the uni course?

Do i stand a good chance?

Many thanks on this guys n gals!

Itchy Bum

ReputationRep:
    i was 21 when i started my first year, they didnt class me as a mature student. Most unis say a mature student is actually over 25, even though that isnt really made very clear.

So id presume they will look at your btec grades, i know there is quite a few students on my computing course who did different alevels.

I would say its best to contact the admissions department of any of the unis you'd like to attend. They will be the best people for advise you to whether they will accept you as things stand now.

ReputationRep:
    i don't think that your age will be a problem, you are not the only one that are over 20 and starting uni. as for if you have enough experience/qualifications i don't know maybe you should talk to a student councelor or someone else at the uni that you want to apply to.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Glory)
    i was 21 when i started my first year, they didnt class me as a mature student. Most unis say a mature student is actually over 25, even though that isnt really made very clear.

So id presume they will look at your btec grades, i know there is quite a few students on my computing course who did different alevels.

I would say its best to contact the admissions department of any of the unis you'd like to attend. They will be the best people for advise you to whether they will accept you as things stand now.

sorry i didn't read your reply before i answered with almost the same thing again.

ReputationRep:
    Cheers peps!

didnt know they actually class it as 25 yrs of age! something i will have to find out! yea i kind of thought i wouldnt be the oldest there its just weird looking at it i would 25 coming out of uni! but i think its just silly thinking you know?

Plus i went to see my bro up in sheffield uni most of his mates are all 20-21 (in their second yr) but all took a yr gap and everything.

Thanks for your help!

Itchy

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Glory)
    Nope - the official criteria for all unis, laid down by the Government is 21 at point of entry. This is the 'reporting' age uni's use for their Office of National Statistics reporting on intake numbers.

itchy_bum - I started my current degree at 28. About 1/4 of my year are over 21, so don't worry about your age! Contact the unis you like the look of and ask their opinion on what would be the best way to progress. Most have alternate routes for mature students and do not stick to the points requirement as ridgedly.

Good luck!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fluffy)
    Nope - the official criteria for all unis, laid down by the Government is 21 at point of entry. This is the 'reporting' age uni's use for their Office of National Statistics reporting on intake numbers.

itchy_bum - I started my current degree at 28. About 1/4 of my year are over 21, so don't worry about your age! Contact the unis you like the look of and ask their opinion on what would be the best way to progress. Most have alternate routes for mature students and do not stick to the points requirement as ridgedly.

Good luck!

i know the government say that your classed as a mature student at 21, and i thought it would help me get my place easier. But when it comes to applying the uni says well mine does anyway, your not a mature student til your 25. So basically they wont offer you a place which isnt based on your exam results til your older than 25.

ReputationRep:
    well i spoke with portsmouth and nottingham and both said that i was a mature student and the application process is very different because of being one. So all it depends on is an interview. BUt i dont want to rely on that, what do you all think of Access Courses? the only thing is it is a year and every one has enrolled now so i think i may have missed the boat! :confused:

ReputationRep:
    Well you could work for another year get some more funds in, and apply now for next year or you could do a access course and apply for next year. I cant comment how good access courses are, i also dont think uni's would let you in at this late stage, we are already in week 2 of teaching at my uni. It really depends what the uni's think, they might take you now but they might also think you rushing in too.

ReputationRep:
    PQ - Yea those sites are wicked! and the volunter coaching etc is something i am also been looking into. As i have read if you show an interest in the area and a desire then that is something they will take on board.

So i was thinking because you can take intense GCSE course maybe look into that for my maths as i got a 'D' and then look into that Open Uni and take a couple of courses within Science/Health/Nutrition and can boast that if i get an interview. Because i think it is the fact that i have been out of education for so long my attitude etc towards studying etc will not be at my greatest you know?

with regards to the financially support, as i will be counted as a 'mature' student i will be expected to support myself? sorry if i have the wrong end of the stick!

ReputationRep:
    oh also PQ what sort of level is the Open Uni courses at? GCSE/BTEC/HND etc

Cheers

Itchy

ReputationRep:
    cheers girl!! very helpful! i feel my outlook looks a bit better!

as i reckon if i enroll on a couple of those courses i can study in my own time and you can take them quicker than they say! so if i get a couple of modules together it would show my desire to take a degree in the field would it not? So the uni that i choose would not turn their nose up so to speak at me taking Open Uni Courses apose to taking an Access course?

Also the financially information is tops! considering im still living with folks i would be ok and get supported as well!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by itchy_bum)
    Cheers peps!

didnt know they actually class it as 25 yrs of age! something i will have to find out! yea i kind of thought i wouldnt be the oldest there its just weird looking at it i would 25 coming out of uni! but i think its just silly thinking you know?

Plus i went to see my bro up in sheffield uni most of his mates are all 20-21 (in their second yr) but all took a yr gap and everything.

Thanks for your help!

Itchy
    I've just started uni at 21 and am considered a mature student by ucas and the uni i'm at. Pre entry stage, i did not get interviewed by admissions, was just based on my personal statement and grades etc. So far, everyone has been great, there are lots of people who are older than me, most people just treat you like everyone else!!!

In regards to open uni- a level one course at 60points is considered to be the equivalent of the level of study required at degree level. The 60 points can then also(depending on uni and relevance of open uni course to degree) be transferred and counted towards your uni degree.

No decent uni turns their nose up at open uni courses, open uni courses shows extra commitment as there are no set study hours, in other words you have to fit and arrange the study into your own life. If you can complete one of the open uni courses, most uni's are impressed as it shows that you have dedication, commitment and good organisational and time keeping skills.

Whatever you do, go for it and don't let age be a factor as you're still young!!!Good luck!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Glory)
    I agree, it can be difficult to draw the line. I have a couple of friends who were around 21-22 when they started uni (I was 18 at the time :eek: ), and they're still here with me three years later :p: They were not classified as mature age students, but I still appreciated the fact that they were in the workforce before me, so had a lot of respect for them as they had to make the choice (and put in the effort!) to go back to uni.

So good on you! Best of luck with everything,

DB_x

ReputationRep:
    I'm 20 and just started Uni (for the 2nd time, but I'm still a 1st year). This thread has succeeded in making me feel really old . Cheers.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Toy Soldier)
    I'm 20 and just started Uni (for the 2nd time, but I'm still a 1st year). This thread has succeeded in making me feel really old . Cheers.
    How did this thread make you feel old? You're only 20, so not even within the definition of mature student. :confused:

ReputationRep:
    Yea your only 20 and get to be a fresher all over again!lol

getting excited at the prospect of going now!!

Any one here been Portsmouth or Nottingham Trent? And also what are the interviews like?

ReputationRep:
    just make sure they don't put you in halls with foreign students :-|, or second third year peeps with their own groups of people

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by userunknown)
    just make sure they don't put you in halls with foreign students :-|, or second third year peeps with their own groups of people
    lol that's where I live...but then I am a 23yr old fresher lol

ReputationRep:
    I am 25 yr old fresher, month in, this is starting to look like the worst decision of my entire life
    I am actually missing a 9-5 normal life style job.

Poll
Do you think parents should charge rent?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.