Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Super-cell)
    University: Reading University
    Course: Meteorology
    Date Application sent:28/09/10
    Decision: conditional
    Offer conditions: BBB (B in Maths and Physics)
    Your reaction: Very very happy!!
    nice one Meteorology at Reading is absolutely amazing, best decision I ever made!!

ReputationRep:
    I'm very pleased with my UCL offer!!! Two 4's on any of my AP exams, which I suppose would correspond to an A or a B in A-Levels? I have a cousin whose taken both AP exams and A-Levels and said that getting an A* would be equivalent to a 5 and an A/B to a 4. Correct me if I'm wrong as I know jack all about A-Levels.

ReputationRep:
    I got an unconditional offer from NTU. It's the one I wanted, so I've accepted it! NTU Fresher 2011 here!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jimbles)
    I got an unconditional offer from NTU. It's the one I wanted, so I've accepted it! NTU Fresher 2011 here!
    what course?? im waiting for a reply

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by clkm23)
    what course?? im waiting for a reply
    I'm doing Sport and Exercise Science there... what you applied for?

ReputationRep:
    University: City University London
    Course: G400 Computer Science, 4 Years
    Date Application sent: 17th November
    Decision: Conditional
    Offer conditions: 320 UCAS Points
    Your reaction: First offer , Four more to goooo!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CameraGirl)
    nice one Meteorology at Reading is absolutely amazing, best decision I ever made!!
    Wow fellow Meteorology student! I'm torn between Leeds and Reading.. although I know reading had a really respected department.. So you'd recommend Reading?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by griffle)
    hey there, heard anything yet!? best of luck with it, i've got friends waiting on offers from there too so don't panic grades are 7A*s 2A's GCSE and 5A's AS Level and 3A* predictions, how about yours? where else are you applying? good luck again X X X X
    lol thank you!! No I haven't, I've heard from 1 uni though so I'm going somewhere! Your grades are much better than mine lol, I left school last year and I'm doing a college course in Sydney January-November so I'm applying for deferred this year, which means I've got all my grades - I've got 3As in full A-levels then 3AS-equivalents of ABD :-) but yeah, your grades are considerably better!!! York was always kind of borderline, so I'll just have to be patient :P thank you!! xxx

ReputationRep:
    Well what are your grades?

ReputationRep:
    You've definitely chosen a lot of high-end choices- did you not feel the need for a back up?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by amuller2)
    University: LSE
    Course: Philosophy and Economics
    Date Application sent: 05/10/10
    Decision: Unsuccessful
    Your reaction: I said I wanted to do PPE in my statement so not a big surprise.

University: Oxford
    Course: Philosophy, Politics and Economics
    Your reaction: It was my first choice.. but it's ridiculously competitive.

University: University of Manchester
    Your reaction: This was the least competitive of all my choices, although it still is.

I'm still waiting for replies from Warwick and Durham.
    Do I have any chance of being accepted somewhere ?
    Did I choose unis that were too competitive ?
    Most importantly, is there something wrong with me ?

The hardest is not to get any explanation, just a single word, 'unsuccessful'.
    Hey I'm sorry to hear that
    when did LSE reject you? 'cause i'm applying for Phy/Eco as well..

I was rejected for PPE by Oxford too, btw, I know how it feels.

ReputationRep:

Your reaction: This was the least competitive of all my choices, although it still is.

You picked 5 top universities, and have left yourself no backup. I'm guessing they all need AAA ish? Which is pointless because if you're in one, you're in them all, or not as the case may be. What were your grades last year?
    You always have Extra/Clearing if you are unsucessful with the other two. Best of luck.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jimbles)
    I'm doing Sport and Exercise Science there... what you applied for?
    congrats, im doing the same......my application got processed on 15th movember.....havnt herd anthing yet, still just waiting

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by viola146)
    You picked 5 top universities, and have left yourself no backup. I'm guessing they all need AAA ish? Which is pointless because if you're in one, you're in them all, or not as the case may be. What were your grades last year?
    You always have Extra/Clearing if you are unsucessful with the other two. Best of luck.
    I believe you are wrong.

He/she may not get offers from all the choices (and most certainly did not, it appears). Choosing mostly competitive schools is not bad, and AAA (and maybe some AAB) is by no means a very high offer. The problem lies with obtaining the offer itself, as it always is for Oxbridge/LSE applicants, because the places are so few. Are they all top 5 universities in any ranking? I don't agree that Manchester or Durham are among the greatest either.

ReputationRep:

Five competitive choices. The difficulty is not in meeting the offer (you may well think that AAA or a combination of A*s and As is 'at your level') but in obtaining the illusive offer itself. No idea why you'd risk sending a personal statement for PPE to LSE; it's not like they're begging for applicants.

Hopefully you will get either Warwick or Durham, and if not, take this as a lesson learned for when (if) you reapply next year.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by clkm23)
    congrats, im doing the same......my application got processed on 15th movember.....havnt herd anthing yet, still just waiting
    Sport an exercise science too? Definitely keep in touch, especially if you get into NTU!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Socialworklordy)
    Hey, anyone heard anything from Uclan?

ive got an interview next wed for Social Work
    hi i just had my interview on weds .. dont knowe if you were there but did you get in?! they told me there and then! x

ReputationRep:
    has anyone applied for social work at uclan??

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by WalnutSea)
    University: University of Oxford
    Course: English Language and Literature
    Date Application sent: 15/10/10
    Offer conditions: -
    Your reaction: I messed up my ELAT (blaming it on sleep loss and didn't send my Written Work before deadline, so it is my own fault. Hurts a bit - rejections always do - but don't really care that much. Their loss.
    (Hm... insight or defence mechanisms kicking in?)

University: University of Glasgow
    Course: English Literature and Scottish History
    Date Application sent: 15/10/10
    Decision: Conditional
    Offer conditions: 19/20 Average from Swedish Secondary School
    Your reaction: Jumped up and down of joy until the neighbours begged at my to stop

Still waiting to hear from Uni of: Edinburgh, Durham and St. Andrews.
    I am from Sweden, so I am not 100% sure which one of these universities is considered the "best" in the UK, so if any of you could give me an answer, I would really appreciate it - and please don't say Oxford!
    Oxford is the best reputation wise but a lot of stories I've heard from people going there who aren't part of a mega-rich and mega-respected family tend to be that it's full of elitist pricks and cocaine addictions.

All 5 are fantastic universities though and I doubt the other 4 have similar issues to Oxford; don't worry too much about it. Since it is a close call between them go to open-days if you can and check out the city/area as well as the uni.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rogercbinboy)
    Oxford is the best reputation wise but a lot of stories I've heard from people going there who aren't part of a mega-rich and mega-respected family tend to be that it's full of elitist pricks and cocaine addictions.

All 5 are fantastic universities though and I doubt the other 4 have similar issues to Oxford; don't worry too much about it. Since it is a close call between them go to open-days if you can and check out the city/area as well as the uni.

Thanks for the quick and reassuring response!

I have been reading Mr Nice so it's funny that you mentioned the drug addiction problems @ Oxford XD Maybe I am better off, after all!

I am going to Scotland and England during the Christmas holidays, so I will definitely check the other Uni's out!
    What a relief to hear that you think they all are fantastic (Even though I know you are right about not worrying about it and I do know that it is stupid and really easy to get hung up on reputation, but I also know that those things matter when you are applying for a job in a few years and there is the name of a respectable university on your CV)
    Thanks again

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year

University open days

1. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 22 Aug '18
  2. University of Buckingham
    Postgraduate Open Evening Postgraduate
    Thu, 23 Aug '18
  3. University of Glasgow
    All Subjects Undergraduate
    Tue, 28 Aug '18
Poll
How are you feeling about GCSE results day?
Applying to uni

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Graduates celebrate

How to write a good personal statement

Expert PS advice from the people who will read it

Uni match

Uni match

Can't decide where to apply? Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Two students working together

A-Z of universities

Read our guides to unis and colleges from around the UK

A student working on a computer

Personal statement help

Use our tool to get your ideal PS quickly!

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student looking down a microscope

Planning open days

Find upcoming open days and get advice on preparing.

Help out other students

These questions still need an answer

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.