Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I had a friend who last year received an unconditional even though she was just starting her A2's! Doubt she'd lie about it either..

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by (You))
    People with AS-levels getting unconditionals? Never seen that, sorry I'd thought you were referring to Highers. If AS-levels were qualifications in their own right (whereas they're only really half an official qualification) then theoretically I guess they could get unconditionals.
    AS Levels are qualifications in their own right, same as Highers are, it's just that they generally aren't enough, on their own, to qualify you for university entry.
    (Original post by yesnaa)
    Hey, I've received an offer from a university for a course that is different to the one that I applied for. Are they allowed to do that? Am major confused
    Yes, they are. It's up to you whether to accept that offer (but you don't have to decide now).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by (You))
    They won't be in the same way as Highers are. Are they not half an A-level?
    They are stand-alone qualifications, that can also be counted towards completing a full A level. A lot of people take fewer A levels than they do AS levels, and the AS level counts as a separate qualification either way.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by (You))
    An A at AS-level = 60 points.
    An A at Higher = 80 points.

Since most people (appear to do about four AS levels on TSR, I guess it doesn't generate enough points... or it might be the course content involved).

:dontknow:
    The issue is the level of study, as far as university entry is concerned. That is why it would be unlikely that an applicant offering AS levels only would get an unconditional offer in Scotland, and wouldn't in England.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by yesnaa)
    Hey, I've received an offer from a university for a course that is different to the one that I applied for. Are they allowed to do that? Am major confused
    It can sometimes happen with duel honours/courses leading to a masters. What did you apply for and what did they offer you?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by skilled_will)
    I'm applying for the same course, when did you send off your ucas?
    26th of September

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sunlightxstarbright)
    It can sometimes happen with duel honours/courses leading to a masters. What did you apply for and what did they offer you?
    Well I got an offer from Manchester the other day that I THOUGHT was for PPE. Last night I actually read the letter and it's for Philosophy & Politics, so what you just said makes sense lol. That's quite annoying, but thank you

ReputationRep:
    I got a letter the other day from birmingham saying:

"We have received a copy of your UCAS form and are pleased to see that you have included this School as one of your choices. You should receive a letter from the University offering you a place, subject to a certain level of performance in your upcoming examinations. This will then update on UCAS..."

I just find the wording funny, does this mean that I already got accepted or just an acknowledgement?

Cheers for any help!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sneakerologist)
    What day/time did you get that offer? Also, what were the conditions?

Mine for Politics and IR came at around 1PM on a Friday

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Artibv)
    University: Nottingham
    Course: Mathematics and Philosophy
    Date Application sent:
    Decision: Conditional
    Requirements: AAB
    Reaction: SOOOO HAPPY! Even though it wasn't my first choice, its the first reply that I've gotten. For some reason I was convinced that I wouldn't get in. But YAY.
    Hey, I'm also a just accepted Nottingham maths and philosophy hopeful. Come and join our very small thread of maths and philosophy applicants 2011
    http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/show....php?t=1448968

ReputationRep:
    Got my first offer today, Cardiff for Psychology AAB! Over the bleeding moon!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by asabashoyuki)
    Here comes the first person (probably?) who got rejected, yay.

I hate UCL ?fury?

Well, at least I still have got manchester working as back ups...ahaha...(sigh
    What were your AS grades / predicted grades? I have also applied to UCL but still waiting for a reply... I really don't think I am gong to get an offer after seeing everyone else's grades that have applied there! :confused:

ReputationRep:
    wowwee, so cardiff have started giving offers. good to know...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Beth_F)
    What were your AS grades / predicted grades? I have also applied to UCL but still waiting for a reply... I really don't think I am gong to get an offer after seeing everyone else's grades that have applied there! :confused:
    AS - Maths A Music A Business D (ICT Dist)
    Predicted A*AA Dist B (Maths/Music/Business/ICT/Chinese)+ Cashed-in A in Japanese

This is probably the fifth time that I answer this question lol

ReputationRep:
    I got an offer of sorts from John Moores

They invited me to an applicant day and so I emailed them to say that I thought applicant days were for people who had been made an offer and that I hadn't, so did this mean I was going to be made an offer?

They said yes, that they'd update UCAS in the next few days :banana:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tamtamsham)
    Universisty: Warwick
    Course: GV15 Maths and philosophy
    Date Application sent: 4th october
    Decision: Conditional
    Offer conditions: A*A*A + 2 in STEP
    Reaction: So happy! My first choice if I don't get an oxford offer although the conditions are rather daunting
    Holy ****! Good luck sir.

ReputationRep:
    any offers for economics?

ReputationRep:
    Got an offer for RHUL today!
    My second offer in 2 days, got Cardiff yesterday which is my first choice so I'm absolutely over the moon!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PaperSnowAGhost!)
    any offers for economics?

you name the degree, manchester has given an offer for it.

UCL have been active in rejections today, it looks like you have survived the first wave. fingers crossed.

nottingham have given offers to international applicants but are waiting til after the jan deadline for domestic.

watch this space.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by greebo-man)
    you name the degree, manchester has given an offer for it.

UCL have been active in rejections today, it looks like you have survived the first wave. fingers crossed.

nottingham have given offers to international applicants but are waiting til after the jan deadline for domestic.

watch this space.

I almost fainted... thanks though

you applying for economics?

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you rather give up salt or pepper?
    Applying to uni

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Graduates celebrate

How to write a good personal statement

Expert PS advice from the people who will read it

Uni match

Uni match

Can't decide where to apply? Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Two students working together

A-Z of universities

Read our guides to unis and colleges from around the UK

A student working on a computer

Personal statement help

Use our tool to get your ideal PS quickly!

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student looking down a microscope

Planning open days

Find upcoming open days and get advice on preparing.

Help out other students

These questions still need an answer

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.