Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Good Morning all,

It was my first proper day of driving today, and I encountered two speed camera's.

I was going around 30 in the 30 MPH zone, but I could have gone slightly quicker (only 1 or 2 over).

I didn't see any flashes which must be a good sign, but in daylight can you still normally see them?

Thanks for any help

WILSON

ReputationRep:
    Your speedo will be over reading by a couple of mph, and quite often the camera will be set to only flash at a certain speed above the limit (I think that it's often 10%, but it's not a set rule). I've heard the flash is quite obvious too, so it sounds as if you'll be fine.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by WILSON92)
    Good Morning all,

It was my first proper day of driving today, and I encountered two speed camera's.

I was going around 30 in the 30 MPH zone, but I could have gone slightly quicker (only 1 or 2 over).

I didn't see any flashes which must be a good sign, but in daylight can you still normally see them?

Thanks for any help

WILSON
    Generally, yes.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Paranoid//Android)
    Your speedo will be over reading by a couple of mph, and quite often the camera will be set to only flash at a certain speed above the limit (I think that it's often 10%, but it's not a set rule). I've heard the flash is quite obvious too, so it sounds as if you'll be fine.
    This and even in daylight you're not going to miss one flashing you.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by WILSON92)
    Good Morning all,

Thanks for any help

WILSON
    You should be fine. I think (correct me if im wrong) that you can go slightly over and not get caught. I think theres a bit of a rule of 10% +2mph or something like that. For example if you were driving in a 30mph area then you would only get caught if you were driving at 35ish or above. Thats what my dad, and lots of people on tsr have said anyway. So going a couple of mph over should be fine.
    Ive been told that your speedo slightly overestimates how fast you are going anyway so if it says you are going at 30 or just over you were probably going at more like just under 30. But if you had been caught then the flash would be quite obvious and you would have noticed it anyway. I wouldnt worry about it anyway.
    Hope this helps.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Emma:-))
    (correct me if i'm wrong).....there's a bit of a rule of 10% +2mph or something like that. For example if you were driving in a 30mph area then you would only get caught if you were driving at 35ish or above. That's what my dad, and lots of people on tsr have said anyway
    There is no such RULE, but there is a guideline much as you describe. The rule is THE LIMIT, so 30.1mph in a 30 is prosecutable. Most forces do allow some tolerance, but don't rely on it if the officer is set on doing you. With a camera you have no chance of taking yourself out of it, but with a policeman you might charm him into just warning you. However, they are trained to coerce you into admission, so be wise to their questioning. They usually start with 'Do you know why I pulled you ?' to which if your reply is 'Oh, I was speeding !' then you're gonna get done. Similarly, if they ask 'How fast were you going along there ?' don't admit to a speed in excess of the limit, nor to not knowing (due care and attention). Even when faced with evidence, don't admit it, just question their equipment or judgement. One final thing, even if your license is in your pocket/bag, don't present it or even admit you have it with you. Any proof of ID will make it easier for them to prosecute, and without it they have to do more work to secure a prosecution and thus are more likely to let you off with a warning. All based on personal experience, not legal fact.

ReputationRep:
    I'm pretty sure that going a couple of mph over the speed limit won't trigger the camera. The flash should be pretty easy to notice. I'm sure you'll be fine.

ReputationRep:
    I have heard the 10% rule is fairly consistently applied.

The speed camera's have a certain margin of error, i.e. if they read 31 MPH, all the can say for sure is that it was between 28 and 34 MPH, so you should be grand!

ReputationRep:
    You'll defo notice it flashing, it pretty much blinds you!!

ReputationRep:
    Child killer.

ReputationRep:
    If children stay on the pavement and off the roads, they don't get killed anything like as much

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.