Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hi,
    I'd really like to read books in the foreign languages I am studying: French and Spanish, unfortuantely though I don't know of that many titles or where I can buy foreign language books from. Does anyone have any ideas that might help?
    Thank you
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    This thread is full of recommendations for French: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=659200

I can't help you much in terms of finding the books in the UK, though I think French Amazon might ship there. Otherwise I think there's a foreign language bookshop somewhere in London...

ReputationRep:
    It would depend what your level is in both languages and what type of books you're interested in. Maybe you could ask your lecturers/teachers for advice on what to read; apart from getting appropriate recommendations you would also demonstrate showing an interest (i.e. being a suck-up :P) which isn't bad either.

I've never had a problem finding books on Amazon plus it's cheaper than most bookshops.

ReputationRep:
    Hi, I'm doing Spanish and have got loads of books off Amazon. Sometimes they can be very expensive but usually you can get good quality used copies from like, 99p. I'm currently reading Arrancame la Vida by Angeles Mastretta, which is set during the Mexican Revolution and is about a woman who leaves her poor family to marry a retired general twice her age...it is really good so far! I'd also recommend any by Isabel Allende - you can definitely find those on Amazon and if you're interested in poetry, Pablo Neruda's stuff is beauuutiful :love: My friend is reading La Colmena by Camilo Jose Cela and is enoying that, it takes place at the end of the Civil War and is about the aftermath in Spain. Best of luck x

ReputationRep:
    Amazon UK will have copies of the books. You can also use places like Blackwells (if you're near a Uni and willing to pay the extortionate prices). You could also just try and buy "from the source" - Ediciones Cátedra covers a wide spectrum of Spanish Lit, from the Renaissance up to modern times, including Latin American writers.

Personally, I'd recommend starting with the Generación del '98, or the Generación del '27. There's a fair range of poets, playwrights and writers in that group, and once you understand the 'overarching theme' of their writing, you can easily enjoy it. Look for writers like Miguel de Unamuno, Antonio Machado or Federico Garcia Lorca. They're not exactly modern, but they're still easier to fathom than Cervantes.

http://www.catedra.com/

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: October 3, 2010
Poll
Do you think parents should charge rent?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.