Turn on thread page Beta

Guardian thinks there are 40 000 students in the Russel Group watch

ReputationRep:
    NEWS JUST IN:

grauniad makes another typo

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tefhel)
    Are people now finally realising that the Guardian writes mainly left wing, inaccurate tripe? Just because it doesn't have pictures of Paris Hilton on the front page, and it tells you what you (most people here) want to hear doesn't mean it isn't almost as full of crap as the Daily Mail is.
    You do realise that the whole "40,000" figure was a quote from Les Ebdon and so strictly wasn't inaccuracy on the Guardian's part. There is also the possibility that there was a typo and the actual figure is 400,000.

:top: But keep preaching brother, this mistake in such a hugely influential article is sure to make the Guardian fall to its knees

ReputationRep:
    Are people now finally realising that the Guardian writes mainly left wing, inaccurate tripe? Just because it doesn't have pictures of Paris Hilton on the front page, and it tells you what you (most people here) want to hear doesn't mean it isn't almost as full of crap as the Daily Mail is.
    What does its political stance have anything to do with such a apolitical topic? It's the Russell Group, not the ******* G8. It's precisely because it doesn't have magnified pictures of Paris Hilton's cellulite in its breaking news banner that people put the Grauniad over the Fail. I find it hilarious that you're criticising another group for inaccuracy when you haven't got your own facts in order. It was a professor that said there's 40,000 students and not the Guardian.

You're a fake Conservative; go back to bed.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tha_Black_Shinobi)
    You do realise that the whole "40,000" figure was a quote from Les Ebdon and so strictly wasn't inaccuracy on the Guardian's part. There is also the possibility that there was a typo and the actual figure is 400,000.

:top: But keep preaching brother, this mistake in such a hugely influential article is sure to make the Guardian fall to its knees
    :rolleyes: What a newspaper prints is their responsibility.
    (Original post by Gandalf_is_a_girl)
    What does its political stance have anything to do with such a apolitical topic? It's the Russell Group, not the ******* G8. It's precisely because it doesn't have magnified pictures of Paris Hilton's cellulite in its breaking news banner that people put the Grauniad over the Fail. I find it hilarious that you're criticising another group for inaccuracy when you haven't got your own facts in order. It was a professor that said there's 40,000 students and not the Guardian.

You're a fake Conservative; go back to bed.
    Universities are apolitical?? WTF? Do you even read the news dear? Quite frankly, after that fail statement I don't think anyone can take you seriously.

The Guardian is responsible for what it prints. They can't print lies just because they didn't make them up.

ReputationRep:
    Universities are apolitical?? WTF? Do you even read the news dear? Quite frankly, after that fail statement I don't think anyone can take you seriously.

The Guardian is responsible for what it prints. They can't print lies just because they didn't make them up.

A - It's a quote: nowhere have they stated or affirmed that it was officially 40,000 students. We know this because we paid attention in English and thus recognise the strange forms that make up speech marks. Sad but true.

B - The Russell Group has no definite political affiliations and certainly doesn't concern itself with left or right. It's main objective is research and securing funds for better research. If it does, I'll listen quietly whilst you list them. Until then, kindly STFU.

C - You're a neek. Do you know that?
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    A lot of people in this thread need to go back to school and learn the function of inverted commas, it seems.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by prospectivEEconomist)
    So you are saying there are exactly 400 k students at the Rg unis? Lol
    Newspapers often use an approximate figure. Either way, it was clearly a typo that didn't warrant a thread.

ReputationRep:
    Hmmm, they haven't shown their working, have they? :naughty:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aj12)
    Where do they get 40 k from.
    It's the Guardian. Making mistakes is their speciality.

Anyway, it is students in the Russell Group universities. Not simply in the Russell Group.

ReputationRep:
    Why is everyone complaining at the guardian because someone they quoted was wrong, it's not their fault. If they quoted someone saying something racist, doesn't mean they agree with the racist thing does it.

Having said that, I don't really get what the guy is trying to say even if his numbers were correct. Of course there are gonna be a lower number of students at just 20 universities than at all other unis in the country... unless he meant to link it to class?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aj12)
    They have already said that with increased fees would come increased help for poorer students
    The poorest students will get help in any government programme.

What about the rest of us? Are we expected to just sit back and take it with a smile?

ReputationRep:
    £80K for university? No way in hell would I pay that much. For that I'd expect far more lectures and contact time with staff, hell for that much I'd demand a PA. If I were doing a conventional degree I'd expect to have far shorter holidays if I'm paying that much per year. In fact, it maybe a way to force the two year degree system.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gandalf_is_a_girl)
    A - It's a quote: nowhere have they stated or affirmed that it was officially 40,000 students. We know this because we paid attention in English and thus recognise the strange forms that make up speech marks. Sad but true.

B - The Russell Group has no definite political affiliations and certainly doesn't concern itself with left or right. It's main objective is research and securing funds for better research. If it does, I'll listen quietly whilst you list them. Until then, kindly STFU.

C - You're a neek. Do you know that?
    You keep contradicting yourself haha. Aww you're getting angry and flustered, too cute I think you should leave this kind of discussion to the big boys.

ReputationRep:
    In this thread... people make fuss over nothing, world in turmoil. Mass suicide inevitable.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by AirRaven)
    The poorest students will get help in any government programme.

What about the rest of us? Are we expected to just sit back and take it with a smile?
    Yes yes you are. I imagine that government loans and grants will rise in line with fees.

ReputationRep:
    You keep contradicting yourself haha. Aww you're getting angry and flustered, too cute I think you should leave this kind of discussion to the big boys.
    The exit is that way.

ReputationRep:
    The Guardian, as with the Daily Telegraph, both have a number of writers who have ideological biases which they aren't able to balance for. The same is true with regards to some writers for The Times--the fact that their editorial line is conspicuously centrist doesn't mean all their writers are. Read through any of them with an eye for bias and you'll see it fairly quickly.

For example, I wasn't the only one to notice that a couple Telegraph writers mysteriously forgot about the detailled IFS study into public vs private sector pay when a less rigorous study with a nicer headline figure showed up.

Just adding some balance to the above post.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aj12)
    Yes yes you are. I imagine that government loans and grants will rise in line with fees.
    Yet why should we be obliged to end our education £80,000 in debt?

However agreeable the terms for the loans might be, it'd be nice to be able to pay them off in a reasonable timeframe- particularly when the fee grading's been, rather than imposed at what's now called an "unavoidable level" from the beginning, gradually shifted up over time, to avoid parliamentary revolt.

Were we to rewind back to 2005 and inform the MPs who voted for the large increase in fees in the first place of just how far it'd go in the space of five years, they'd have stuck Blair's head on a pike over Parliament Square.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: October 3, 2010
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?
Useful resources
AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.