Bakuman Anime Discussion watch

Announcements
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    Had to conjure up something quickly since the first episode has already aired. Admittedly, I have yet to watch it, but will do so now and will relay my thoughts shortly. :smile:

Oh yes, for those who wish to discuss the manga, please enclose this in spoiler tags ([spoiler]text here[/spoiler]). Thanks. :smile:
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    Well, after watching the first episode, I really enjoyed it. There was a great deal of character development here, which is a rarity for the first episode. Moritaka is a character I can personally relate with in that I too was absolutely obsessed with anime and manga when I was a child (still am, but to a lesser extent for the latter) and shared a similar mindset in regard to life and my future while I was at school. The fact that I also have an interest in art and design, am currently working in a creative field, and that lastly my father initially wanted me to study law instead, parallels Moritaka's situation somewhat. Granted…

Spoiler:
    Show
    My uncle didn't pass away nor did I agree to marry a boy in my class in order to instil conviction, but nonetheless… This is anime, after all. :tongue:

The animation was not particularly great by J.C. Staff. In account of what they've produced before, like Madhouse with Iron Man this season, I expected a lot more from them. However, unlike Iron Man, where there is something of a necessity to deliver on the animation front since it's an action series, Bakuman is very much a slice of life comedy romance where the animation can be deemed secondary. Even though I'm willing to overlook the slightly odd character designs, it would have been nice to have something in line with the manga artwork (I haven't read the manga in full, only sampled to get a gist). Moreover, the seiyuu did a good job, on the whole. I have no qualms with Abe and Hino's performances, particularly the latter. Kawasumi employed her stable 'innocent kawaii voice' appropriately here, so that's fine.

The premise is an interesting one and in many respects I'm ashamed that I haven't read the manga before this adaptation came along, but there you go… Better late than never.

Spoiler:
    Show
    The romance at the end did seem a little cliched and forced, but I can accept that because it's obviously the catalyst that'll drive Moritaka to succeed and adds the much welcomed romance element to this series.

So, probably my favourite of the season so far.

ReputationRep:
    Going to copypasta from my Autumn Preview thread:

(Original post by caraniel)
    Bakuman.
    Spoiler:
    Show

Animation Studio: J.C. Staff (Zero no Tsukaima, Nabari no Ou)
    Japanese Airdate: 2nd October 2010
    Number of Episodes: 25
    Seiyuu: Atsushi Abe, Satoshi Hino, Ayako Kawasumi, Kentarou Tone, Nobuhiko Okamoto
    PV: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zfruFZ4mH98

(Original post by Summary:)
    Adaptation of Tsugimi Ohbata & Takeshi Obata’s shounen manga.
    Bakuman follows the story of high school student Moritaka Mashiro, a talented artist who does not know what he wants to do with his future. One day he draws a picture of Azuki Miho, a girl he is secretly fond of, during class and forgets the notebook at school. He comes back to find that his classmate Akito Takagi is waiting for him with his notebook. Takagi tries to convince Mashiro to become a mangaka, a manga artist, with him, only leading to Mashiro's disagreement. Mashiro goes home and thinks about his mangaka uncle, who had only one successful series before he died in obscurity. Mashiro is interrupted by a phone call from Takagi, who says that he is going to tell Azuki that Mashiro likes her. Mashiro runs down to Azuki's house to find Takagi waiting for him. Once Azuki comes out to meet them, Takagi tells her that he and Mashiro are aiming to be mangaka. Mashiro then learns that she wants to be a seiyū, a voice actor, and has shown promise in the field. Mashiro, once again thinking about his uncle, accidentally proposes to Azuki. She accepts. However, she will only marry him after they achieve their dreams. In addition, they cannot see each other until then.
    :w00t: Now this is something I’m very, very excited about, although I’m also a bit worried as I don’t know how well the series will work in anime form. I love the Bakuman. manga – it’s a completely different kettle of fish to Death Note, but still retains that “shounen but a bit different” feeling. :love: I’m pretty pleased with the cast & crew behind this – even though my preferred studio would have been Madhouse, JC Staff are fine too. I’m a tad worried by how shiny the art is, but will probably get over that; however if they mess about with things too much and **** up this adaptation I will cry :mad:

My concerns have been eased somewhat by this first episode of Bakuman - I had been a bit worried about how well it would translate into anime, but JC Staff seem to know what they're doing. The strongest aspect of Bakuman is its characters, we're going to be following Mashiro and Takagi as they struggle to become successful manga-ka, so you kind of need to like the characters and want them to succeed. Since I've been following the manga I already like the characters, however I had forgotten that Mashiro was a bit of an emo kid at the very start of the series before Takagi's passion for manga (and matchmaking) shook some life back into him! It was nice to be reminded about what Mashiro's background is like, I've gotten so used to him being the authority on manga that I sometimes forget that its the tragedy of his one-hit-wonder manga-ka uncle's death that has shaped his view of the manga industry. Takagi is passionate, but Mashiro is very pragmatic and the two make a great team.

The other aspect of this series is the romance, and I have a feeling the anime adapatation is going to push that to the forefront a bit more than the manga does. Mashiro's impulsive marriage proposal to Azuki is hilariously awkward, and the whole 'we won't see each other until we achieve our dreams' aspect could only happen in fiction; still Mashiro needs a goal to strive for other than just popular success, and marrying the girl of his dreams is a pretty good goal!

So anyway getting ahead of myself, back to impressions of the episode. I enjoyed the fake-out OP of Mashiro's uncle's anime - it was a great shout-out to those old school series and I can imagine quite a few people had to pause the episode to doublecheck the filename! :laugh: As for the real OP, I'm not fussed yet - seems a bit cheesy. The animation in general is going to take me a while to get used to, its not really up to JC Staff's standards and I really don't like the way the characters hair is done - its way to static and shiny (kind of like its been moulded out of highly polished plastic!). However they've really nailed the facial expressions and general feel of the characters, so once I get used to things I'll be happy.

I'm also glad they've kept in the references to actual Shounen Jump series (Mashiro's shelf had Dragonball and One Piece, the book shop has Hikaru no Go and Death Note, Takagai directly name checks Death Note); because, as you would expect from a series about creating shounen manga, Mashiro & Takagi talk about other manga quite a lot when brainstorming ideas. I wonder how difficult it was to get the go ahead to use these titles in the anime?

In terms of voice acting Satoshi Hino gets excitable Takagi spot on, but I've got a slight problem with Atsushi Abe's Mashiro - there's something about Abe's voice that grates on me, he always sounds a bit too whiney and I can imagine this is going to irritate me more when Index 2 starts and I have to listen to him as Touma again. Think this just a personal problem though, there's nothing actually wrong with Abe's acting. Music wise, I'm not fussed on the OP but really like the ED (even if the animation is a bit bland). In the actual episode there's some random use of comedy sound effects that I don't think are really necessary since the characters expressions and actions are more than enough to nail the comedy.

OK think I've gone on long enough! I knew this was going to happen - I always end up rambling about series that I really like. Needless to say I'll be keeping Bakuman on to the end, I'm really looking forward to seeing more of the manga-ka and editorial staff characters introduced once all the intro and setup is out of the way!
    I'll add a link to this thread to the on-topic 1st post too Aiko :grin:

If I decide not to formally blog this series for Caraniel's Ramblings, I'll definitely be writing about it weekly here anyway :mmm:
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    Going to copypasta from my Autumn Preview thread:
    An in-depth analysis of the first episode is always welcomed, especially coming from a manga reader such as yourself. Funny that you should say that Moritaka is 'emo', he seemed more indifferent than anything else. I can see where you're coming from, though, since he's hardly upbeat. I suspected his personality would change once he had found his goal, so I'm looking forward to seeing him change as the series transpires. :smile:

I also liked the references to real anime, particularly when Moritaka speculated their success and considered it impossible to surpass Dragon Ball and One Piece. Made me smile. :tongue:

I'll add a link to this thread to the on-topic 1st post too Aiko :grin:
    Thanks. Once the upgrade happens, associating threads to the society/social group will prove useful in this case. :smile:

If I decide not to formally blog this series for Caraniel's Ramblings, I'll definitely be writing about it weekly here anyway :mmm:
    I'm definitely intending to address my thoughts here and to hopefully engage in some discussion in the process. Glad to read that you're on board.
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    Just posting to say I've seen the first episode, and will probably keep it on. While I didn't find the episode itself that spectacular, it did a good job introducing the characters and setting. The character designs are a little odd, but nothing I won't get used to. :nah: I suppose I won't be able to form a real opinion for a few episodes, since they've not even begun working on their manga yet, but I'm looking forward to seeing more. :p:

ReputationRep:
    So I decided that I would blog Bakuman as nothing else really took my fancy this season. Have already written my thoughts about ep 2 , but I'll be writing some thoughts up in here too.

The main topic that seems to be generating discussion for this episode is the suposed sexism this series has. Mashiro's father says "women can't understand men's dreams" and his mother is potrayed as the only member of his otherwise male family thats against his decision to persue manga as a career. There's also Takagi's assessment of the girls in the class - Miho and Iwase, where Takagi suggests that Iwase is less attractive because she's so competitive about grades, even though in terms of looks she's just as pretty as Miho.

Takagi's stance can be dismissed as the opinion of a stupid teenager, but the fact remains that Bakuman is coloured in very male views (well it is shounen afterall). Weirdly I had never really considered the show sexist since I've been dismissing any sexist remarks as 'stupid things that men say'! :laugh:
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    I was meaning to post my thoughts yesterday but didn't get around to it. A steady follow up from the opening episode, serving to further lay the foundation for what's to come. The most significant part of this episode, of course, is Moritaka's announcement to his family that he's planning to become a manga artist. It was nicely handled and gave an insight into his family and their circumstance.

In response to Cara's post concerning any supposed sexism, traditionally in Japan, there is the general mindset that men come before women, as is atypical of most cultures (particularly in Asia). Evidently, from what we've watched so far, Moritaka's father has this mindset, but it's not considered sexist, as such, even though it technically is.

I was surprised to see an emphasis on the romance still, considering Miho declared that they shouldn't interact with each other until they've succeeded. If this focus remains, they really need to progress the relationship from Moritaka gawking at Miho from afar and in turn, Miho consciously aware that he is. I can imagine this'll become old quickly, unless, of course, they place the romance on the back burner from now on.

Lastly, after watching Index 2, you can clearly see where JC Staff's budget has gone to this season. Comparatively, Bakuman's production is reminiscent of something much older, circa 2003, whereas Index 2 is right up there alongside Bones's Star Driver. Oh well, as I said in my previous post, for a series like this, it's not particularly needed.

ReputationRep:
    To be honest, when I saw episode 1 I wasn't impressed. Episode 2 looked a bit better though.

I think with the problem I have with the Bakuman anime (and manga turned anime in general) is that some of the perceptions I had of the characters didn't live up to my exceptions. That's not to say I think that way of all manga turned anime, but things like Takagi's seiyuu (and his character design in a way) and was a bit different than I imagined!

It's too early to judge and what with it being 25 episodes, it will definitely be different to the manga. As long as I learn to stop comparing the manga to the anime and appreicate it in it's own right, it should be good!
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    I really liked the second episode. Based on the way ep 1 ended they could have rushed straight into the manga making process, but choosing not to do this and developing the characters' personality and (in Mashiro's case) family situation first worked well. :yes: I'm really beginning to like Mashiro and Takagi, their interactions with each other are hilarious. :giggle: Looking forward to seeing how they'll cope with making their dream a reality!

So yeah, Bakuman just climed a few places in this season's rankings for me. :p:
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    The third episode has developed the plot even further, which I'm glad to see. It's clear that they're not intending to waste any time by stagnating. The major revelation during this episode was that Nobuhiro's love interest has quite conveniently turned out to be Azuki's mother. I was a little surprised that Takagi and Moritaka decided to randomly confront her about this to find out, and so willingly too. Then again, I'm beginning to gage that much of what happens in Bakuman is out of connivence to help the plot move forward, and it's executed in such an endearing way, I'm willing to overlook this.

I think I should also express my appreciation for Takagi who has so far demonstrated a genuine desire to succeed, with no underlying aim of his own. It seems unusual and I can't help but feel that something will prop up in the future that will potentially jeopardise his relationship with Nobuhiro. Naturally, having not read the manga, this is all conjecture on my part. If I had to make a guess, maybe he'll also fall for Azuki, thus developing a love triangle? I would certainly encourage this, but I could be completely off. I guess it ultimately depends on whether Bakuman will place an emphasis on the romance or not. So far, it's leading us to believe that it will.

Lastly, I liked the anime references again this week, namely Nobuhiro citing Ashi-ta no Joe as his favourite manga. I haven't read it myself, but I've recently finished watching the anime adaptation earlier in the year and I have to say, despite its age, was a really good sport series (you can clearly see where Hajime no Ippo got its cues from). Takagi's choice of Dragon Ball was a safe bet. :giggle:

Anyway, good episode overall and looking forward to the next one. :smile:

ReputationRep:
    The best way to describe Bakuman at the moment is 'steady'. It's pacing is pretty slow, but they're definitely taking their time to flesh out the characters and introduce all the relevant technical terms. First glimpse of Niizuma at the end of ep4, and since the boys are establishing short-term goals now the series should really start to pick up the pace.

I don't remember the pacing being this slow when I was reading the manga, but I think thats because I read the 1st 30-odd chapters in one go when I decided to pick the series up.

ReputationRep:
    The best way to describe Bakuman at the moment is 'steady'. It's pacing is pretty slow, but they're definitely taking their time to flesh out the characters and introduce all the relevant technical terms. First glimpse of Niizuma at the end of ep4, and since the boys are establishing short-term goals now the series should really start to pick up the pace.

I don't remember the pacing being this slow when I was reading the manga, but I think thats because I read the 1st 30-odd chapters in one go when I decided to pick the series up.
    You hit the nail on the frickin' head there.

And yeah, the pacing is pretty slow. I have the 1st volume (7 chapters) and by the end of it,
    Spoiler:
    Show
    they're already going to meet Hattori to show their 1st manuscript.

Even though it's slow, I'm still liking it. It has much more of an easy going feel it to it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fait)
    You hit the nail on the frickin' head there.

And yeah, the pacing is pretty slow. I have the 1st volume (7 chapters) and by the end of it,
    Spoiler:
    Show
    they're already going to meet Hattori to show their 1st manuscript.

Even though it's slow, I'm still liking it. It has much more of an easy going feel it to it.
    Its got a nice slice of life vibe at the moment, but looking forward to when they get into shounen hot-blooded mode! :laugh:
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    Just finished episode 3 (last week was very busy). Liking Mashiro and Takagi even more. But that manga collection... and all that shelf space to keep it on... :coma:

I have episode 4 downloaded, but I'm too tired to watch it tonight, and tomorrow is 9-5 lectures followed by Aberanime, so I'll aim to watch it on Wednesday. :yes:
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    I haven't gotten around to watching episode 4 yet, but will today at some point.

It's interesting to see that those who have read the manga feel the pacing is slow because it seems steady to me, not stagnating or rushed. I suppose inevitably those who read the manga will make comparisons.

ReputationRep:
    I think we manga readers are just a bit over eager to get to the meat of the series. This careful set up is needed to really get where the characters are coming from and establish all the technical terminology and manga production processes that are an intergral part of the story - but it is slow going when you already have a solid understanding of this stuff.
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    I think we manga readers are just a bit over eager to get to the meat of the series. This careful set up is needed to really get where the characters are coming from and establish all the technical terminology and manga production processes that are an intergral part of the story - but it is slow going when you already have a solid understanding of this stuff.
    This is why I prefer to remain in ignorance in regard to the manga because I can't draw comparisons all of the time or to anticipate something that hasn't happened. Given we're only on the forth episode of a two cour series, underlining what you've stated is expected.

ReputationRep:
    Hey

Seems quite interesting, I'll probably watch it all the way through since I need something less weird to bring me down from the other shows I'm watching right now (Shiki, Ore no Imouto..., Panty & Stocking, Togainu no Chi xD).

Haven't read the manga, so it'll all be a surprise.
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    (Original post by Anti)
    Hey

Seems quite interesting, I'll probably watch it all the way through since I need something less weird to bring me down from the other shows I'm watching right now (Shiki, Ore no Imouto..., Panty & Stocking, Togainu no Chi xD).

Haven't read the manga, so it'll all be a surprise.
    Yes, I can imagine watching the aforementioned exclusively would have that effect. :smile: :tongue: If you do decide to pick this up, be assured to return here to express your thoughts.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: May 2, 2011
Poll
Do you think parents should charge rent?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.