The Student Room Group

Bakuman Anime Discussion

Scroll to see replies

thought you meant bakugan at first (now theres a wierd one you cant make head nor tails of)

im looking for a new anime- has this one had an english dub my biggest flaw when it comes to anime is i cant stand sitting there reading subs
Reply 21
Original post by silverbolt
thought you meant bakugan at first (now theres a wierd one you cant make head nor tails of)

im looking for a new anime- has this one had an english dub my biggest flaw when it comes to anime is i cant stand sitting there reading subs

Unfortunately not, as the anime series is still currently airing in Japan.
Reply 22
Mashiro is a bit more serious than what I was expecting from reading the manga. The animators nailed shuujin though. Eiji's finally been introduced, can't wait to see some awesomeness from him.
Reply 23
Original post by Aiko
This is why I prefer to remain in ignorance in regard to the manga because I can't draw comparisons all of the time or to anticipate something that hasn't happened. Given we're only on the forth episode of a two cour series, underlining what you've stated is expected.

I've mentioned this before, but I never thought Bakuman would get an anime adaptation since I didn't think it was really suitable for anime given how dialogue heavy and lacking in traditional action the series is. It will be interesting to see how JC Staff approach that given the rather lacklustre production values thus far (thankfully the acting is fantastic and is making up for the boring direction somewhat). Death Note was also very dialogue heavy, but Madhouse countered that with top budget visuals and great direction.

But we're very early days for Bakuman - it will come into its own, it just needs some time to build the momentum.
Reply 24
Original post by caraniel
I've mentioned this before, but I never thought Bakuman would get an anime adaptation since I didn't think it was really suitable for anime given how dialogue heavy and lacking in traditional action the series is.

As dialogue heavy as an Nisio Isin adaptation? :tongue: In all seriousness, though, I can think of many anime series that are dialogue driven (Yojouhan Shinwa Taikei comes to mind as the most recent). In consideration of Bakuman's evident popularity (which is ultimately what determines whether an anime adaptation will be made), I believed it was inevitable. The premise alone has enough potential to entice the viewership. Not all anime has to be substance free. :tongue:

It will be interesting to see how JC Staff approach that given the rather lacklustre production values thus far (thankfully the acting is fantastic and is making up for the boring direction somewhat). Death Note was also very dialogue heavy, but Madhouse countered that with top budget visuals and great direction.

JC Staff's budget is clearly delegated elsewhere this season, but I'm beginning to warm to the animation somewhat. It has a certain 'old school' charm that's typically absent from most anime nowadays. Madhouse nailed it with Death Note, I'll agree, but despite coming from the same mangaka, both are considerably different. A series like Death Note would require better production values, I believe.
Reply 25
oh i thought this wasn't set to air until january?
i used to read the manga and loved it! but i stopped for some reason... might be because i was too lazy to read all the text.

will definitely watch this though! i need to find a link first...
Reply 26
This episode seemed more grounded than the previous ones mainly because the romance took a backseat in favour of the goal at hand. In this respect, this is what I've liked the most from Bakuman is its sense of realism. The fact that it also highlights the creative process of producing a manga, coupled with multiple references to said medium, also helps considerably.

As for the episode, I definitely preferred Takagi's first proposal of the second earth correcting the problems of the first than the cliched sport one. I could also really relate with Moritaka's insistence to get the artwork right and admire the traditional approach he's taking. I feel like a cheat relying on my wacom tablet now. :tongue: My previous suspicion that Takagi may take a liking to Azuki could not transpire after all, seeing as her friend Kaya has clearly taken a liking to him. That said, it's hard to determine whether this'll transpire as Takagi himself seems impartial for the time being in regard to his feelings.

On the whole, a good episode. :smile:
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 27
I'm glad the romance took a back seat - the series is at its best when its just Takagi & Mashiro bouncing off one another.

I'm also enjoying the realistic approach - the show goes out of its way to highlight that creating a manga manuscript is a painstaking process, which requires dedication, time and talent to pull off.

I really liked Takagi's concept for 'The Two Earths' - its the kind of high concept sci-fi that catches my interest.
Reply 28
Original post by caraniel
So I decided that I would blog Bakuman as nothing else really took my fancy this season. Have already written my thoughts about ep 2 , but I'll be writing some thoughts up in here too.

you lied earlier :zomg:

watched up to ep 3 now ...not got alot to say that hasnt been said already ...mostly just confused as to how they decided to go and talk to a woman they barely know about about a personal thing that was her past love life :eyebrow:

but then so far everything is convenient :lolwut: I mean the uncles apartmant must be a pain to clean with all those nooks and cranny's where dust could collect but its spotless.:s:
Reply 29
Original post by vin
but then so far everything is convenient :lolwut: I mean the uncles apartmant must be a pain to clean with all those nooks and cranny's where dust could collect but its spotless.:s:

For your first point... it's just an anime :biggrin: Haha.

But for this one, hasn't it been kept properly because it was precious to the uncle? I don't know but that seems like it might make sense.

I'm quite getting into this show now. That and Panty & Stocking, lol!
Finally up to date with this series. :biggrin: Ayako's subs were a bit off though, not terrible, just irritating mistakes here and there. :s:

*wants a Danger Hamburger* :giggle:
Reply 31
just watched ep 4, pens :shock:
Reply 32
New post - Bakuman ep6

I do like the way Bakuman keeps things very grounded, both in terms of the characters behaviour, and in its depiction of the manga production process. Hattori dealt out some solid advice this week.

Also I really loved the looks Mashiro fires Tagaki every now and then - they just scream "calm down dude, you're acting like an idiot!" Although Takagi did get his own back at the end of the episode when he was killing himself laughing at Mashiro's plight - ah stupid teenagers, gotta love them! :giggle:
Reply 33
I really liked this last episode, I'm exactly like that when I'm nervous about something and have to fill out a form. :tongue:
Reply 34
:beard: I wonder if they worked together rather than separately would they be able to fit the art and story together better
Reply 35
Original post by vin
:beard: I wonder if they worked together rather than separately would they be able to fit the art and story together better

Hmm, good question. In my case, I found envisaging each scene in my mind first to accompany my story a lot easier when illustrating and I knew exactly what I wanted to achieve in terms of tone and style. A manga is very much like a film in that every angle or facial expression will have a direct contribution to how the story is portrayed. I suppose, in regard to Bakuman, Moritaka and Takagi's insistence to work separately in order to avoid any disputes backfired because they lacked cohesion, or more precisely, one vision, which is crucial in any type of artistic project. Now that they've received the feedback that has highlighted this, their next attempt will be considerably better as a result.

Anyway, as Cara has said, I really like how Bakuman is so grounded and accurately displays the process involved in producing a manga and gaining serialisation. Whenever most manga series attempt to portray something like this, they always fail to capture that realism, or rather, they choose not to because they believe adding some exaggerated comedy or action, for instance, will somehow entice the viewership more. This is one of the few series I've seen in fact that hasn't done this. Granted, much of what has happened has been rather convenient for the pair, and the initial declaration of love at the beginning was atypical of the comedy genre, and 'fiction' in general, but now that's out of the way, Bakuman has managed to avoid this for the most part. However, it seems Mashiro and Miho will have to confront their feelings as they've conveniently been placed together in the classroom. :tongue:
Reply 36
theres a lot of conveniant events:giggle: but creating their manga doesnt seem to be one of them:beard:
Reply 37
I'm too lazy to edit my previous post, but I meant 'romance' not 'comedy' when referring to the declaration of love (I acknowledge that typing this has taken more time than simply modifying one word above, but seeing as I've already written this much, I might as well finish).
Reply 38
Expectedly, with episode 7, the focus was on the romance, seeing as Moritaka and Miho were shown seated alongside each other at the end of the previous episode. Their relationship only developed marginally this time around by reenforcing their aspirations. Miho's tendency to cry seemed somewhat contrived and unexpected, but I suppose it's a testament to how much she likes Moritaka.

Akito really demonstrated his emotional intelligence/maturity by speaking on behalf of the pair, and his initial hesitance to enter the Tezuka Award was completely overturned when they didn't make the finals, which I respected. I've really come to like his character, arguably more so than the rest. Initially, his sincerity felt overly forced, almost to suggest that he had an underlying motive that hasn't been shown yet, but now I'm beginning to think he's just a genuinely nice guy.

Lastly, we've been introduced to the child prodigy of Niizuma, who suffice to say is highly eccentric and a tad cocky (likely due to all of the attention and success he has been receiving) and will no doubt prove to be a prominent rival for Moritaka and Akito later on.

Nice episode, on the whole. :smile:
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 39
thought there was too much focus on the romance this time:huff: I want to see them working on their next thing :frown:

that niizuma kid has issues:erm:

Quick Reply