The Student Room Group

Bakuman Anime Discussion

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
Original post by caraniel

Original post by caraniel

However I'm still annoyed that they've kept 'Blue Bird' as the OP (even if it is a different verse) - I really don't like the mood that OP sets. New ED is much, much better and I like the animation too.

makes it sound like fluffy romance :hmpf: who is really watching this series for the romance :unimpressed:
Reply 61
Original post by vin
makes it sound like fluffy romance :hmpf: who is really watching this series for the romance :unimpressed:

Precisely! Although I do enjoy Takagi & Kaya's relationship :mmm:
Reply 62
Original post by vin

Seeing as the official premise for the series mentions the romance between Moritaka and Miho, I'd say a fair few probably watch it for this. Moreover, it's serving as the primary incentive for Moritaka to succeed. While I agree that the anime is mainly about succeeding in the manga industry, the romance is obviously a central theme throughout the series. :smile:
Reply 63
liked the second half of this ep:smile:, Nizuma Eiji :lolwut: he is something else, needs some pills for his hyperactivity.:s:
Reply 64
The latest episode didn't really progress much (beginning to wonder whether it's adapting the manga at a slower pace or that it's simply filler), but it was nice to see the duo dwell on their opposition and the difficulties they'll have to face in order to succeed in fulfilling their dream. Equally, Miho is experiencing the same hardship and even begins to doubt her own ability, even after acquiring her break in Saint Visual Girls Academy (love the name). On the whole, not a bad episode. I'm beginning to get used to this rather slow pace of Bakuman, meaning I'm impartial. While I'd appreciate a slightly quicker pace with more development each episode, it's nice to rejoin the duo on their quest for manga stardom, even it means watching them contemplate and not much more. :tongue:
Reply 65
We're still on fecking volume 3 of the manga - truly they are adapting at the speed of a semi conscious snail :dry: Episode 15 was mostly filler too - expanding Miho's role once again (just get her out of the way already FFS!!)

I've lost any motivation to blog the show recently (running two weeks behind at the moment) and think that if I don't recover my will to write about the show by the end of the week, I'll be dropping it. Much as I hate the idea of giving up on a series mid-way through, trying to think of stuff to say when the anime is so much duller than I remember the same scenes being in the manga, is sapping all my enthusiasim for the show :sigh:

Its even more frustrating because ep14 was actually good - it was entirely manga material & really fun since we got to see more of Eiji other than him acting like an anti-social lunatic.....but I couldn't really think of much to say about ep14 because even though it was interesting, very little new actually happened!

Seems I was right to worry about Bakuman being adapted for anime - the anime is just leeching all the joy from the series for me.....thank god the manga is good at the moment!
Reply 66
Hmm, maybe I've just become a lot more tolerant and/or receptive in my, ahem, senior years of viewing. :tongue: That, and I haven't read the manga, so I can't make repeated comparisons. :redface:
Reply 67
I preferred that OP in the first ep of the uncles series :frown:

also something must be wrong with the world because I liked that ep :frown: the miho side wasnt nearly as dull as usual :no:

Aiko and i were talking about this on msn and i figured it could do with mentioning here ...because its related and I dont want the thread to die. Interesting contrast between Eiji and those two. He seems to be absolutely obsessed with creating manga and really enjoys it, and that enthuseasm has probably come across into his work. Whereas those two are just after success without much love for what they create if they drop what they are good at to make something that could sell better.:s-smilie: Love of manga doesnt pay the bills as well as actual success. But thats not why they're in such a hurry to get serialised and for it to be an anime. It's for that damn highschool romance.:stupid:
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 68
Original post by vin
Aiko and i were talking about this on msn and i figured it could do with mentioning here ...because its related and I dont want the thread to die. Interesting contrast between Eiji and those two. He seems to be absolutely obsessed with creating manga and really enjoys it, and that enthuseasm has probably come across into his work. Whereas those two are just after success without much love for what they create if they drop what they are good at to make something that could sell better.:s-smilie: Love of manga doesnt pay the bills as well as actual success. But thats not why they're in such a hurry to get serialised and for it to be an anime. It's for that damn highschool romance.:stupid:

Yes, exactly. That's where they're going wrong, in my opinion. Although consideration should be made as to which demographic/audience the manga is targeting and whether it's commercially viable, using this approach solely will restrict creativity and originality greatly. Equally, self indulgence and a disregard for the aforementioned will likely result in never achieving serialisation, especially in a mainstream magazine like Shounen Jump/Jack. It's a case of maintaining a balance between the two, with an emphasis on the latter when conceptualising the initial premise, while acknowledging the common motifs that the viewership can relate to.
Hmm, I havn't read the manga and still need to watch episode 15, but I do have to agree that the pace is moving far too slowly. I merely intrested in it because it shows the hardships of actually becoming a manga artist and how it all actually works. though I can't say I'm too partcial to the fluffy romance, its just there for filling in any gaps of motivation I believe.
I watched episode 14 earlier, I think I like Eiji now. :p: I seem to always fall behind on this series though, I have to be in the right mood to watch it which is weird as IMO there hasn't been a bad episode yet. I also think the slow pacing is the main flaw. :s:
Reply 71
Instead of commenting on the past few episodes, I'll simply address my thoughts on Bakuman thus far. I can understand why many fans prefer the conversations amongst the manga artists as opposed to the romance because it captures their thoughts on their craft and the industry that supports it really well. It's refreshing viewing because I haven't seen a series tackle this before. We've had anime/manga that focuses on the fans of said medium, but not those who are responsible for creating it. However, much of the production process in terms of stylisation and techniques are mostly overlooked in favour of topical banter, which is by no means a bad thing, and I can appreciate that the series isn't about the artistic craft, per se, but the larger picture of what it takes to succeed in the competitive world of anime and manga.

Despite all this, the romance remained to guide the story forward, namely, in this case, in the form of Moritaka's and Akito's short breakup in account of the latter's relationship with Kaya. Ultimately, it didn't really amount to much, but it did provide some character development, leading up to a solution to their slump. Based upon what we've seen, the mystery genre would compliment Akito's style of writing. I was half expecting Detective Conan to be mentioned. :tongue:
Reply 72
I've gotta say that i've only been reading the manga - and I love it! Is the anime any good or is it only average?

Ah! Btw, If someone has already answered this then ignore me...I'll find it eventually :smile:
(edited 13 years ago)
Original post by narusku
I've gotta say that i've only been reading the manga - and I love it! Is the anime any good or is it only average?

Ah! Btw, If someone has already answered this then ignore me...I'll find it eventually :smile:

I'm quite liking the anime, but it can be slow paced at times. Also I'm not reading the manga so I have nothing to compare it to; a common complaint I've heard from people who are following both is that the anime pays much more attention on the romance, which is what's making it so slow.

Overall, I'd say it's good, but not great. Doesn't stand out compared to the rest of what I'm watching anyway. :no:
Reply 74
Original post by AngryJellyfish
I'm quite liking the anime, but it can be slow paced at times. Also I'm not reading the manga so I have nothing to compare it to; a common complaint I've heard from people who are following both is that the anime pays much more attention on the romance, which is what's making it so slow.

Overall, I'd say it's good, but not great. Doesn't stand out compared to the rest of what I'm watching anyway. :no:

Thanks a bunch!

It sounds okay I guess, however, if it's paying more attention to the romance in the anime I guess thats good to an extent - especially seeing as the manga hardly commits to it.
But hope it does not become a shoujo romance :smile:
My opinion of this show is definitely rising, I've watched the last few episodes more or less as soon as I downloaded them. I think it's due to the huge amount of rivals the pair now have. Eiji is still by far the most interesting, but seeing them go up against people closer to their current level is better than watching them keep struggling to catch up with him. :yes:
Reply 76
A quick post to summarise my thoughts on episode 21: the initial recap was worrying but thankfully plenty of development followed, introducing two new characters, the cold and aloof Aoki Yuriko (great to hear Ayako's voice at work) and the self obsessed celebrity Koogy. Not sure what to make of both so far, only that the latter is certainly making some waves with his underhanded move to manipulate the voting system to his favour with his established fan base (I'm reminiscing to another shounen series that had a similar character with the same motive, but I can't recollect who or which series they were from). All in all, seems like Bakuman is finally cranking it up a gear. :smile:
Reply 77
Not a huge amount really happened in episode 22, only that the entrants rallied together to express their discontent at Koogy's devious scheme to win the competition, resulting in a level headed Moritaka calming everyone down with a speech inspired by the head editor (when compared with how he acted at the beginning, he has definitely grown, in this regard). Ultimately, they all decided to head over to Nizuma's place (this has become a social ground, of sorts), which I don't particularly mind as I've grown fond of his eccentricities. Was pretty interesting to hear their inner thoughts of each other's manga, but admittedly I was hoping for something a bit more substantial. Lastly, Miho hasn't been completely forgotten, featuring at the end, concluding with an obligatory text message to instil renewed confidence for Moritaka.

Now that the series is coming to an end, I do wonder how they'll maintain the momentum leading up to the finale, which will presumably be when the winner is announced, or if not, the penultimate episode.
Not exactly new info, but since I haven't seen it mentioned here already, Bakuman has been greenlit for a sequel in the Autumn season. :yes:
Reply 79
Eiji has really grown on me :redface: at first he seemed annoying and needed some hyper activity pills, but now his mannerisms are just amusing:giggle: I liked how he was throwing around rubbish from his waste paper basket as confetti :giggle: to congratulate his assistants :emog:

Quick Reply

Latest