Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hi!
    I am looking to study Modern Languages (going for Oxbridge). I have just started studying the IB with the following subjects:
    French B HL
    Spanish B HL
    English A1 HL
    History HL
    --
    Chemistry SL
    Maths SL

I have good enough grades from GCSEs (13 A*s, 1A and an A in AS French). But I was wondering whether it would be better to change to Maths Studies because my school offers an accelerated course (1 year). What do you think about that? (And the options generally?!)
    Thank you!!
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    (Original post by William L)
    I was wondering whether it would be better to change to Maths Studies because my school offers an accelerated course (1 year).
    I would thoroughly advice against switching to Maths Studies. Most Unis tend to immediately disregard your application the minute they see Maths Studies on it. Although, since you're applying for MFL, it isn't as important, I guarantee you it will make a difference when applying to Oxbridge. Unis really look down upon MS, I know this because I planned on switching from SL to MS halfway through my first-year in IB, the Uni advisor in my school explained that it was a bad idea because Unis don't even consider you with MS, even if you're applying for a course that has nothing to do with Maths (like I applied for Law).

Also, accelerated programs tend to always yield conflicting results. IB plans these courses out so that they span a two-year syllabus in a good and effective manner. I took Environment for the Science option (because I had to take one) and it was only a one-year course in my school, I got stressed out and we barely finished the portion and lab assignments in time. The end result being I got a 5 (which wasn't bad, but it was disappointing to get a 5 in Environment SL and still have the rest of your exams to go which are considerably harder). I ended up with a 41 in IB and I can't help but wonder that if I had just taken Biology or Chemistry SL that ran for two years, I would've scraped a 6 instead of the disappointing 5 I did get in Environment.

Stick to Maths SL, it's better for you.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by William L)
    Hi!
    I am looking to study Modern Languages (going for Oxbridge). I have just started studying the IB with the following subjects:
    French B HL
    Spanish B HL
    English A1 HL
    History HL
    --
    Chemistry SL
    Maths SL

I have good enough grades from GCSEs (13 A*s, 1A and an A in AS French). But I was wondering whether it would be better to change to Maths Studies because my school offers an accelerated course (1 year). What do you think about that? (And the options generally?!)
    Thank you!!
    I would advise sticking with maths SL as you're applying to Oxbridge.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by arrowhead)
    I would thoroughly advice against switching to Maths Studies. Most Unis tend to immediately disregard your application the minute they see Maths Studies on it. Although, since you're applying for MFL, it isn't as important, I guarantee you it will make a difference when applying to Oxbridge. Unis really look down upon MS, I know this because I planned on switching from SL to MS halfway through my first-year in IB, the Uni advisor in my school explained that it was a bad idea because Unis don't even consider you with MS, even if you're applying for a course that has nothing to do with Maths (like I applied for Law).

Also, accelerated programs tend to always yield conflicting results. IB plans these courses out so that they span a two-year syllabus in a good and effective manner. I took Environment for the Science option (because I had to take one) and it was only a one-year course in my school, I got stressed out and we barely finished the portion and lab assignments in time. The end result being I got a 5 (which wasn't bad, but it was disappointing to get a 5 in Environment SL and still have the rest of your exams to go which are considerably harder). I ended up with a 41 in IB and I can't help but wonder that if I had just taken Biology or Chemistry SL that ran for two years, I would've scraped a 6 instead of the disappointing 5 I did get in Environment.

Stick to Maths SL, it's better for you.
    Definitely drop to Studies. I know of people who went on to do Psychology and Biology at Oxford and Cambridge, with only Math Studies (they were asked for 7s though). For a subject that has nothing to do with mathematics, studies is fine! It's like they can't ask A-Level students to have maths, so you're just doing this as a bonus.

ReputationRep:
    There is absolutely no point in doing four higher levels.

ReputationRep:
    Hello,

I studied at Oxford (not MFL but E&M) and I now teach the IB.

If I had a student studying 4HL subjects I would be worried. Partly because the IB is a very intense course and I would be worried that at 16 or 17 years old 4 HL subjects will cause too much stress. But more importantly I would be worried about what the student was missing out on socially. Although Oxbridge (in fact every university) will want students that are passionate about their course and hard working, they will still want interesting students that are balanced and have a life away from work.

As for Maths Studies, the best thing to do is to ring or email the admissions office (they are very friendly, I have spoken to them a lot about my students) and ask them. I doubt it will matter because it is MFL and I don't think maths has too much to do with languages. I have lots of friends that did MFLs and haven't studied maths since GCSE. But please check this out with them.

Although as a teacher I understand that the IB is about being balanced and having a well rounded education (and building up the best point score possible), remember that you don't have to be absolutely brilliant at everything - just the subjects that you are applying for!

Best wishes (tell us how it all goes)

Kate F

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Katemflan)
    Hello,

I studied at Oxford (not MFL but E&M) and I now teach the IB.

If I had a student studying 4HL subjects I would be worried. Partly because the IB is a very intense course and I would be worried that at 16 or 17 years old 4 HL subjects will cause too much stress. But more importantly I would be worried about what the student was missing out on socially. Although Oxbridge (in fact every university) will want students that are passionate about their course and hard working, they will still want interesting students that are balanced and have a life away from work.

As for Maths Studies, the best thing to do is to ring or email the admissions office (they are very friendly, I have spoken to them a lot about my students) and ask them. I doubt it will matter because it is MFL and I don't think maths has too much to do with languages. I have lots of friends that did MFLs and haven't studied maths since GCSE. But please check this out with them.

Although as a teacher I understand that the IB is about being balanced and having a well rounded education (and building up the best point score possible), remember that you don't have to be absolutely brilliant at everything - just the subjects that you are applying for!

Best wishes (tell us how it all goes)

Kate F
    Lovely post.

ReputationRep:
    Keep Maths at SL, with your GCSEs you probably won't find it that hard (maths studies is pretty much repeating GCSE, with a little bit more). Drop History to SL, unless you really really love it. Other than that, 2 HL language Bs and A1 HL is tailored towards MFL as much as you can. Incidentally, my sister whos IB1 atm is looking at Oxford for MFL (esp. French), and she is doing Eng HL, French B HL, Italian Ab. Initio SL, History SL, Maths SL, Physics HL - so you're IB is more focused towards languages than hers, yet she,and probably quite reasonably, thinks she still has a good chance.

ReputationRep:
    It's wonderful when you see someone you know on here, without knowing they were on here.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by toxicmuffin)
    It's wonderful when you see someone you know on here, without knowing they were on here.
    Who in particular?

University open days

1. University of Bradford
    University-wide Postgraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  2. University of Buckingham
    Psychology Taster Tutorial Undergraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  3. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Campus Visit Undergraduate
    Wed, 1 Aug '18
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?
Applying to university
Uni match

Your perfect course is here

Let our match making tool match you up with your ideal uni

Make your revision easier

Study Help rules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.