Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Sorry to make yet another a level options thread, but I was inspired by the flurry yesterday that it wasn't too early to ask.

These are my choices:
    English Lit
    History
    Philosophy & Ethics
    Biology
    Critical Thinking (school force us - it's that or Gen Studies!)

I want to study English at a good uni.

What do you think? Are they respected (esp Philosophy & Ethics)?

I can't decide between Biology and Chemistry - I really like them both. Is Chem that much more respected and harder?

Is there any benefit in another subject? For example, my French teacher can't believe I'm not taking French and lots of unis recommend a language for English - should I take French as well?

I'm predicted 13A*s at GCSE if that helps you answer at all :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    Philosophy and ethics is quite a good choice, but I think I would recommend taking French instead, as your teacher is right in that many unis love that you have a language.

ReputationRep:
    With chemistry it's more important to have a solid grounding in mathematics, so if this isn't you then stick with biology. Philosophy and ethics will probably be okay though straight philosophy is a more academically rigorous subject, and probably more respected by the Russel Group - though obviously if your school doesn't offer this then p&e will be fine.

French would be helpful but not absolutely essential (I knew a guy who did English Lit, Theater Studies, Film Studies and History and got into Cambridge to study English. He was incredibly talented and passionate about his subject though).

ReputationRep:
    That subject combination is fine Biology or Chemistry will look equally good and respectable so just pick whichever one you would enjoy the most. Philosophy & Ethics is also a good respectable subject to have for English because its a traditional essay-based one. You don't need to have a language A Level to study English at any uni that I've seen - some want you to have a language GCSE but it's not usually important to have one at A Level.

ReputationRep:
    I'm no expert but maybe it would be a good idea to do English lang?

Why do schools make you do things like critical thinking or general studies? I can't see the point.

ReputationRep:
    All are respected.
    http://www.trin.cam.ac.uk/index.php?pageid=604

It's reccomended to take History and a language to study English Literature however it isn't necessary.
    http://www.ox.ac.uk/admissions/under...guage_a_1.html

I don't know which sciences are more or less respected/difficult as I don't take any, however English Language is not respected.

ReputationRep:
    I do A-level chemistry and biology and I think everyone in my classes who do both agree chemistry is harder.

ReputationRep:
    Very respected, especially with your critical thinking, history and biology
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    I would take french instead of biology/chemistry if i were you. Other than that your choices sound fine.
    • PS Helper
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    Wiki Support Team
    Take french if you feel you can get an A in french!

I made the mistake of taking french rather than maths to A2 because I thought it would look better for unis, even though I wasn't as good at it. There is a high chance my unis would have given me an offer anyway, and then with my AAA i could have gone to my first choice uni, whereas I messed up french and got into second choice

ReputationRep:
    History is good as it links closely to English,and there's no harm in taking a science to broaden your knowledge - I did Biology to AS!

ReputationRep:
    Answering posters questions:

A silly comp makes you do CT Thinks it will broaden our knowledge :rollseyes: I would argue, but this way they will hopefully let me do an EPQ...

I think I can almost definitely get an A at A level French (already self-teaching subjunctive cos I'm bored, reading L'Etranger etc) but I just love Philosophy and Ethics (which is what I would swap it with - no straight philosophy btw, I'd prefer that too) that little bit more

I don't want to loose my only science because I like the breath, and it would crucify the science department as they always assumed I will take them ALL to AS Stupid teachers wanting you to take their subject!

Lastly, am I right to take Critical Thinking instead of General Studies? I think that it's a bit harder, but crucially slightly more respected?

Thanks!

ReputationRep:
    The majority of people respect Critical Thinking more than General Studies. The best universities don't accept either.
    It's good to have breadth of course but unless you're passionate about the subject then it may be better to go for something that will help you do the course you want.
    You could always ask to take an extra A level if you think you could manage them.

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Sponsored content:

HEAR

HEAR

Find out how a Higher Education Achievement Report can help you prove your achievements.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.