Turn on thread page Beta

1st month of a levels done, what are the thoughts? watch

ReputationRep:
    AS isn't too bad, the workload is a step up, but saying that I coasted GCSE's and decided that I would put some effort in now.

Well we'll see how I do in the January exams.

BTW I've got 7. 7 !!!!!!! :eek3: My friend has got 2.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BLTJimbo)
    AS isn't too bad, the workload is a step up, but saying that I coasted GCSE's and decided that I would put some effort in now.

Well we'll see how I do in the January exams.

BTW I've got 7. 7 !!!!!!! :eek3: My friend has got 2.
    For most people the step up didn't hit them until the first exams when people got huge shocks come results day, it's quite scary how much people have changed now in yr13

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by qasidb)
    do you remember the good old days of GCSE chemistry with the so simple 2,8,8 electron configuration?...now it's basically all a lie and there's sub shells and electron configurations of 1s2, 2s2, 2s6, or whatever the hell it is and electrons in boxes and orbitals like you said and ionisation energies and God knows what else to come after this...
    i feel betrayed from what we were taught in GCSE.
    lol i felt the same....i dnt no y teachers or examboards cnt be straight with us in the beginning than jus telling us over-generalisations presuming our brain below the age of 16 isnt able to tolerate the truth:eek3:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Leeshur)
    Really don't like all of the work, but I'm managing. Biology + learning the keywords is annoying though, especially when it's 20+ words.
    lmao key words.

At GCSE Biology the teacher would briefly glance at our books to see how much work we'd done to let us out the lesson, so we always wrote the key words and the summary. And that was it for the whole lesson.

O/T but it just reminded me of good times.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gameworm1)
    I've just done a month of A Levels, enjoying it so far but lot of work (though I guess it was expected!). Doing English Lit, History, R.S and Psychology. Just curious about thoughts from people just starting A Levels. Thanks.
    from my experience, it gets harder as the year goes on...but if you sort out where you can improve and get the right strategies, you'll do better over the year :yep:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by letsdothetimewarpagain)
    For most people the step up didn't hit them until the first exams when people got huge shocks come results day, it's quite scary how much people have changed now in yr13

I know the atmosphere has totally changed, its as if everyone went **** I need to do some work.

BTW on a seperate note, just watched the eminem happy feet thing. lol :danceboy:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Niki_girl)
    What GCSE exam board? I did OCR Triple & I thought it was pretty good :p:

I still find chemistry interesting, and now we actually get told WHY things happen, but yes, orbitals and half-equations are annoying me...grrrr if only I was better at maths...hopefully once we (ok I) get to understand the basics it will "click"? *prays* & I want to do chemistry to A2 :/ ....
    I did AQA Triple :p:
    it was okay...but styll "kinda" boring :rolleyes:

AS is just so fascinating right now :3

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Cinqueta)
    You're telling me you actually like finding the pressure in the flask, atomic structure, shell levels and the ideal gas equation? :eek:
    yes
    i know it's very sad, but it's pretty "fun" O_O

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ace_uchiha)
    yes
    i know it's very sad, but it's pretty "fun" O_O
    It's not sad at all It's great you like it! I can't stand it. I'm running away from AS chemistry and taking geography instead

ReputationRep:
    well, need to improve from ACCC from AS to AAB-AAA so have a lot of work and i think its going to really be difficult was really close to 2 B's (1-2%) out of the C's in Math and Psychology though, also did no work for psychology last year where as Im going to work my but of this year so maybe it could be done.

But so Far ive done loads of work and had extra maths lessons for my Jan resit, but have 7 EXAMS in Jan :/ this years is going to be tough to say the least.

ReputationRep:
    Love it so far! Philosophy is amazing, so glad I picked it! It's weird, I only went in to the philosophy room at the opening evening on a whim cos I liked the look of the building... And now it's my favourite subject by a long shot!
    Maths is also good, I'm really glad I picked it up again (I did maths gcse in year 9 and haven't done any maths since) It's difficult going back to it but I think if I put the work in now and get back to where I was then all will be well
    The workload is about what I expected, maybe a bit less (I'm sure it will pick up!) Just a bit annoying that I didn't get any homework for the first two weeks and then got 8 assignments in one day! However, I secretly enjoyed the philosophy homework... :O

ReputationRep:
    It's not sad at all It's great you like it! I can't stand it. I'm running away from AS chemistry and taking geography instead
    lol, well i hope all turns out well

i wanted to take Geography at AS ...but the teacher said that I couldn't since i didn't take it at GCSE >_<
    the text book look really interesting o_o

ReputationRep:
    Liking it alot!

Only thing I would complain about is the fact that at our school you can only take Further Maths as an extra A level so that = more work for me.

But I can handle it; just kind of obstructs me from free time.

ReputationRep:
    What's wrong with maths? C1 isn't that hard and I only got a B at GCSE :yep:
    No, it's not really the level of hardness, its just how boring/pointless it seems. I don't have the greatest teacher ever either so.. we'll see :o:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by letsdothetimewarpagain)

This time last year I hated maths and the way I grew to like it was by practicing it to death, when I understood something that I struggled massively over it was such a good feeling :yes:
    I hope so, it's so boring i'm really not feeling very motivated to put extra time in :/ i haven't done any maths since year ten so i'm really feeling how behind i am compared to others :p:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by humy369)
    bio and chem i can deal with
    psycology is a hell of a lot better than i thought, im loving it
    maths... well suffice it to say if maths wasnt necessary for medicine id drop it without a thought
    Maths isn't necessary for medicine!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Niki_girl)
    I like Sixth Form generally :yep:

This is how I feel about my AS Level subjects...

History :love: , great, it's interesting, academic and I love the units my school does - 1066 & Medieval England + French Revolution

English Lit , quite like it, except I find poetry boring!...well it's ok, but the novel we're doing (Enduring Love) is soo much better!

Biology :rolleyes: , it's ok, fasinating but A LOT to learn, A LOT of vocabulary....really hoping to get to grips with this as this is what I want to do at uni!!!

Chemistry , don't get me wrong, I love the subject, but I'm finding physical chemistry difficult, the stuff about principle energy levels and writing half-equations (redox) I REALLY HOPE I START TO UNDERSTAND CHEM. SOON OR I'M GONNA PANIC, lol it's such a step up from GCSE

Anyone else? :confused:
    Aahh I had the same problems as you when I started AS bio/chem!
    As an A2 student, I would recommend the revision guides! Buy them ASAP!! They're really helpful and explain things thoroughly and revise what you learn in class from there. Trust me! It simplifies things and I wish I had got them earlier. Good luck with AS

ReputationRep:
    OK like im doing physics, chem, bio and further maths and im getting skull smashed with all the
    principles involved in all 4 subjects. does any1 have tips for me which will help me remember
    the information that i am being taught. i am a visual learner but still my memory worries me
    its really bothers me, so if anyone has tips for my succession then pleaseeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fletchdd02)
    Maths isn't necessary for medicine!
    OK maybe maths isnt compolsary for some uni's but in general i would say unlses your a genuise you shouldent be studying medicine without the aid of mathamatics:eek3:

correct me if im wrong

ReputationRep:
    My thoughts now, and at this time last year: WHAT!? What d'you mean it's October!? Where's September gone!? A-levels make your time go way too fast...

University open days

1. University of Bradford
    University-wide Postgraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  2. University of Buckingham
    Psychology Taster Tutorial Undergraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  3. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Campus Visit Undergraduate
    Wed, 1 Aug '18
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?
Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.