Turn on thread page Beta

British schools where girls must wear the Islamic veil watch

• Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by student77)
    Women do not want to be seen as objects which is how western non islamic men treat women.

Western society continuously shows women as objects particularly in a sexual nature and this degrades the true value of women.
    And your answer to this is to force women to cover up completely even in the inevitable cases where women do not want to do this?

No thanks I think I will stick to the western values of treating women as intelligent begins that can decide for themselves what they want to wear.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by student77)
    Women do not want to be seen as objects which is how western non islamic men treat women.

Western society continuously shows women as objects particularly in a sexual nature and this degrades the true value of women.
    What on Earth are you talking about?:hmmm:

Just because some aspects of the media may do such things does not mean that all 'western' men do such things.
    (I do not even agree with this silly West-East ideology - a country of Earth and only that!)

ReputationRep:
    Have a look at this, in a high-school in Manchester, 200 pupils were sent home by the school head teacher for failing to meet the dress code.

School sends home 200 pupils in uniform crackdown
    Hundreds of pupils were sent home from just one school in a blitz over uniforms.

Around 200 children were turned away from Walkden High for failing to meet the tough dress code.

Teachers lined up children on the playground for an inspection before allowing them into lessons.

Headteacher Elaine Hilton said parents and children had received fair warning of the hard-line approach .

She said: “A letter outlining our approach to uniform concerns, together with a copy of the policy on
    standards of personal appearance and uniform, was posted to all parents.”

But one mum, whose 13-year-old girl was sent home, said: “My daughter wasn’t let in because of her shoes.
    They are plain black pumps with a tiny bit of a heel.

“Hundreds of children were being looked over and sent back home if they didn’t fit the bill. “There were kids were milling outside the gates and parents were fighting to get through to pick them up again. It was mayhem.”

http://menmedia.co.uk/manchestereven...form_crackdown

This was a Non-Muslim majority school by the way, I guess it didn't make the headline on the telegraph.
    :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aj12)
    And your answer to this is to force women to cover up completely even in the inevitable cases where women do not want to do this?

No thanks I think I will stick to the western values of treating women as intelligent begins that can decide for themselves what they want to wear.

I second that.

The silly OTT Muslims (not Muslims in general, but the OTT ones - avoiding any offence) do not realise that forcing people to do and not do certain things will only cause repression and anger and even more desire to do so-called 'forbidden' things. They do not realise that strict laws and rules will only backfire. An example would be Dubai - that is a hell-hole waiting to burst open with so many repressed and frustrated people!

ReputationRep:
    If this school recieves state funding then it should be stopped immediatley, this is a breach of civil liberties. And a totally unseccary step, you can't force someone to wear a religious garment.

If it's a private school, well, let them make their students wear whatever. I couldn't give 2 of em

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kolya)
    It's a difficult problem: To what extent does the state have the right to overrule parents in matters of a child's education and upbringing?
    To what extent does the state to overrule parents in matters of a childs education?! Are you kidding??

They decide what you learn and how you learn it, you have no choice but to be in full time education until 16 (soon to be 18), parents have gotten sent to jail for letting their kids skip school!

They decide everything to do with a childs education, not the parents

ReputationRep:
    I made a thread about this first (http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/show....php?t=1426609).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by missygeorgia)
    How would the teachers be able to tell them apart? Or is it just for walking to and from school?
    i would have thought they'd give them a unique pair of contacts, one green one blue, that sort of thing... or name tags or summit

ReputationRep:
    Sometimes I do not understand the concept of the hijab, because some guys get turned on by it (something to do with seeing muslim women as forbidden fruit and imagine what might be lurking under there :rofl:) so either way females in the western or eastern world will always be seen as sexual objects by men.

(Original post by miike1234)
    They decide everything to do with a childs education, not the parents
    Err, well clearly that is not true in this case, for the state is not deciding what these girls are wearing to school; that is being chosen by the school.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by missygeorgia)
    How would the teachers be able to tell them apart? Or is it just for walking to and from school?
    Seating plans.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by zxh800)
    People like you make me wish i was a woman just so i could wear a niqab and go "Boo!" in your face :yep:
    Lol, reminds me of this one time when we were younger and my friend put on a niqab and pulled it up when this guy was passing in his car and pulled a freakish expression, the one on his face was epic :p: god i wish i had taken a picture!

ReputationRep:
    Give me proof that this is actually going to happen. The Telegraph is a terrible newspaper.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sovr'gnChancellor£)
    [/B]

I second that.

The silly OTT Muslims (not Muslims in general, but the OTT ones - avoiding any offence) do not realise that forcing people to do and not do certain things will only cause repression and anger and even more desire to do so-called 'forbidden' things. They do not realise that strict laws and rules will only backfire. An example would be Dubai - that is a hell-hole waiting to burst open with so many repressed and frustrated people!
    I happen to know girls who have gone/go to two of the schools listed and frankly, those who aren't happy with it just don't wear it. They simply slip it on/off near the school when their coming and when they are leaving; so how is this different to any other school uniform? Schools set the uniform, students tweak the uniform coming in and going out.

However, there are girls who this does benefit and those are the ones who actually want to wear it and at the end of the day, they are ones that keep it on when the are outside the school and when they graduate from the school too. These may be the girls who weren't confident enough to put on the niqab (and it really isn't easy to wear in the current political climate) but are able to because they are surrounded by so many other girls who are wearing it and therefore get some support and so it would appear the school has, at least in part, succeeded in it's goal.

Either way, it's a school uniform of a private school. That's two reasons that they can do as they please in this particuler quarter.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hantheman)
    Give me proof that this is actually going to happen. The Telegraph is a terrible newspaper.
    Jamea Al Kausar and Madani Girls both incorporate the Niqab in their uniform as far as I know. Not sure about the last though i expect it's true.

ReputationRep:
    We can talk about the school's right to impose a uniform on a child all we like, but this is different from an ordinary uniform. I think ordering a child to cover up her face in public is disgraceful.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Teveth)
    We can talk about the school's right to impose a uniform on a child all we like, but this is different from an ordinary uniform. I think ordering a child to cover up her face in public is disgraceful.
    :woo:

I think I agree with Teveth for once :eek:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aj12)
    He dosen't like it but he does not believe its the governments place to say what people may wear.
    Are you sure you quoted the right person? If you did you completely missed the point of what I said >_>

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Teaddict)
    Hundreds of girls are bring forced by British schools to wear the Islamic veil in a move which has been heavily criticised by mainstream Muslims.

Islamic schools have introduced uniform policies which force girls to wear the burka or a full headscarf and veil known as the niqab.

Moderate followers of Islam said yesterday that enforcement of the veil was a "dangerous precedent" and that children attending such schools were being "brainwashed".

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/education...amic-veil.html
    I bet Richard Dawkins is ******* angry about this. But jokes aside, this is disgusting.
    The people who brought that rule in should be either shot or deported. It is that simple.

ReputationRep:
    Schools have to be secular. I don't care how important you think your religion is, we have to move the most objective forms of education possible, otherwise, shock horror, brainwashing is a severe side-effect.

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.