Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

why do people have to change????
    ever since uni my boyfriend is just someone else! he is cocky and arrogant, and takes everything for granted, tries to act like a lad all the time and gets angry really easily...this isnt him :'( everyone back home says he's a different person

why do people change?
    and how do i cope with it?
    and why do i still love him when he's always acting like a jerk?

ReputationRep:
    Probably discovered his true self at university?
    Don't stress over it, If he's changed his behaviour towards you and is always 'angry' at you. Let go... There's not much you can do. Except talk to him? If he doesn't understand... then?

ReputationRep:
    People react differently when they go away, i guess it's just apart of growing up and finding out who you really are. you have always been there to keep him under control, but now your at uni he needs to fill that gap. he is probably feeling insecure which is why he is being cocky. my advice is talk to him, i know this is the most obvious thing someone could say but honestly, it is the best and quickest way to sort out a problem. reassure him that your not gunna jump into bed with someone and that you don't feel like he's treating you with respect.. and if he continues, uni is filled with hundreds of guys hope this helps x

ReputationRep:
    Almost everyone changes at Uni, for better or worse.

You should talk to him about it, if he doesn't appear to give a ****, then stop talking to him. There's no point trying to force people to go back to the way they were, even when they were better before. They just don't do it.

Girls love a jerk. Fact.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Roxannabelle)
    Girls love a jerk. Fact.
    No. Only immature, insecure and/or inexperienced girls "love a jerk". And even then, unless they are really stupid on top of this, they may only do so once, because after that first one they'll realise it really wasn't "love".

ReputationRep:
    1) Going to university is a major change, and it's his way of dealing with it. That doesn't justify him being a ****, but it does explain why he's acting differently.
    2) Try looking at it from his perspective, maybe trying to talk to him about it, or try get involved in his university life to make the change a bit easier for him? I don't know. It's a difficult situation!
    3) You love him because you knew him before he was a jerk, and because you're not letting something like this try to end your relationship with him! Be strong and I hope things get better for you!

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: October 3, 2010
Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.