Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hi everyone,

I have managed to get onto Westminster Law LLB Solicitor Exempting (http://www.westminster.ac.uk/schools...ing-law-degree) at the last minute and wondering what people think of the university and where it stands in terms of respect in the industry.

originally i was going to go to Birkbeck as i have a place on Birkbeck Legal Methods course (http://www.bbk.ac.uk/study/ce/lawand.../UEHLAWLM.html) which is highly respected by many top universities as a form entry such as Nottingham, Newcastle, Durham and even Oxford....

Whilst studying i was also going to work at a law firm as i secured myself a one year placement however if i go to Westminster i won't be able to carry out the placement as the one day i would have of i would have to work my part time job.

So in short now i am stuck, do i wait a year and go to a better university and get the full university life (im 23) or just go to westminster?

any advice is appreciated, thanks
    Mark

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by OneWordStory)
    Hi everyone,

I have managed to get onto Westminster Law LLB Solicitor Exempting (http://www.westminster.ac.uk/schools...ing-law-degree) at the last minute and wondering what people think of the university and where it stands in terms of respect in the industry.

originally i was going to go to Birkbeck as i have a place on Birkbeck Legal Methods course (http://www.bbk.ac.uk/study/ce/lawand.../UEHLAWLM.html) which is highly respected by many top universities as a form entry such as Nottingham, Newcastle, Durham and even Oxford....

Whilst studying i was also going to work at a law firm as i secured myself a one year placement however if i go to Westminster i won't be able to carry out the placement as the one day i would have of i would have to work my part time job.

So in short now i am stuck, do i wait a year and go to a better university and get the full university life (im 23) or just go to westminster?

any advice is appreciated, thanks
    Mark
    Hmm, to be honest I'm not a law expert but an LLB would stand you in good stead. What grades do you have? Do you think, that given the chance to apply properly you could get somewhere better? If so then I would say do that, you can spend this year getting some worthwhile work experience and similar and then going on to get your LLB.

ReputationRep:
    well i never did A Levels as i went straight into work
    However i know if i did the Legal Methods course i could get into a better university with the course and work experience combined plus my current experience...

ReputationRep:
    well i never did A Levels as i went straight into work
    However i know if i did the Legal Methods course i could get into a better university with the course and work experience combined plus my current experience...
    Personally I would go for the Birckbeck thing, Westminster is such a bad university... though can't you rearrange your job etc?

ReputationRep:
    i wish i could however my job is demonstration work ( i demonstrate the Wii at game stores) so the dates are fixed to Friday, Saturday and Sunday for maximum exposure, if you can't do any of the days you are replaced with someone who can work all the dates and carry out the campaign...
    However if i go Birkbeck i can carry out the work experience twice a week, also work and still have a couple of days spare...
    As the legal methods is one evening a week do you think it is worth while to also study something else?

ReputationRep:
    i wish i could however my job is demonstration work ( i demonstrate the Wii at game stores) so the dates are fixed to Friday, Saturday and Sunday for maximum exposure, if you can't do any of the days you are replaced with someone who can work all the dates and carry out the campaign...
    However if i go Birkbeck i can carry out the work experience twice a week, also work and still have a couple of days spare...
    As the legal methods is one evening a week do you think it is worth while to also study something else?
    Sorry, I can't really help you out there but I'd avoid Westminster like the plague.

ReputationRep:
    lol, it does have me concerned i got on to the course which lists AAB as requirements purely on life experience at 23

ReputationRep:
    If it were me, I would go for Birkbeck, particularly as you wouldn't then have to drop the legal work experience you have lined up.

I know that eve_22 did the Birkbeck Legal Methods course and is now at Oxford - maybe see whether she can give you some advice on Birkbeck?

ReputationRep:
    yhea im going to send eve_22 a message as i want to ask her some questions about LNAT anyway... I want to say thanks to every bodies advice so far, i think i am going to take the Birkbeck route

University open days

1. University of Bradford
    University-wide Postgraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  2. University of Buckingham
    Psychology Taster Tutorial Undergraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  3. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Campus Visit Undergraduate
    Wed, 1 Aug '18
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.