Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hey guys, I was wondering what jobs I could get if I was to pursue a maths degree at Cambridge University. Thanks, in advance.

ReputationRep:
    http://www.prospects.ac.uk/options_m...ob_options.htm

ReputationRep:
    This is a fairly regular topic over on the Mathematics forum where I have just posted an answer. But you posted it in finance and accountancy which suggests that you are thinking of careers in those sectors rather than a more general view? Maths graduates do indeed go on to train as accountants and sometimes that is a stepping stone to senior management, jobs in finance including banks and hedge funds are also common, as is the insurance industry with many maths graduates training as actuaries. Very few maths graduates, even from Cambridge, will go on to work as quants without a postgraduate degree, although the combination of maths and finance is very attractive the the mathematically skilled who are aiming for a high salary. Most of what I have said applies equally to graduates of any maths department in the UK.

At Cambridge a slightly higher proportion than most departments will stay on to do a PhD and to become professional mathematicians, although this is not disproportionate given their entry qualifications.

For ideas on the range of non-finance careers maths graduates go in to have a look at some of my other posts.

ReputationRep:
    I'd better have another word with the Prospects people (I pass their building every day). Given they listed aeronautical engineer it would be worth saying this is just an example of the very wide range of engineering professions maths grads are found in. For example the oil and energy sector have always been a big consumer of maths grads and are recruiting hard.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    http://www.mathscareers.org.uk/viewI...?cit_id=383039

ReputationRep:
    thanks guys!

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Useful resources

Articles:

Guide to finance and bankingGuide to accountancy

Featured recruiter profiles:

Deutsche Bank logo

Deutsche Bank is recruiting

"Thrive in an international banking environment"

ICAEW logo

ICAEW

"Choose a career journey with limitless possibilities."

Quick link:

Unanswered finance and accountancy threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.