Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Only one ethernet port at uni, need 2! Watch

ReputationRep:
    So I've been trawling through the web trying to find this mysterious object to hook up my Xbox and laptop to the internet at the same time, hoping someone on here has come across this problem before?

This is wha I have found at the moment: http://www.amazon.co.uk/CDL-Micro-RJ...im_computers_5

Not even quite sure this will work? Help!

ReputationRep:
    That would work, i'd use an Ethernet hub personally.

I've got one sat here because xbox live doesn't work on sussex uni campus...

Also, first check if your laptop has 2 ports, my computer does so i can use that if i want.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    Can't you just connect your XBox to the internet via your laptop?

ReputationRep:
    This would be easier:

Ethernet >> Laptop >> Xbox.

Though you have to configure a few internet settings on your laptop. What OS do you run?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JaeTee)
    So I've been trawling through the web trying to find this mysterious object to hook up my Xbox and laptop to the internet at the same time, hoping someone on here has come across this problem before?

This is wha I have found at the moment: http://www.amazon.co.uk/CDL-Micro-RJ...im_computers_5

Not even quite sure this will work? Help!
    You need to determine whether you're actually allowed to have more than one device connected at any one time, really. :erm:

ReputationRep:
    if you are allowed, buy a cheap router off ebay. it'll cost about £10, and will allow you to use your laptop wireless-ly (obviously)

ReputationRep:
    Just connect the xbox to your laptop and bridge the connection:

Your friend

ReputationRep:
    Ok, already posted in here but gonna try again.

Firstly, check xbox live works , it doesn't at a lot of unis and if not then this whole dicussion is pointless.

Secondly, check if your laptop has 2 ethernet ports, if yes then run the second ethernet cable from laptop to xbox.

Third, ask your IT services people if they allow you to use a hub/router in your room to split the connection and if they allow it to become wireless. If they say yes then buy either a wired or wireless router.

If they all fail then i don't reckon it's possible.

ReputationRep:
    -My xbox live runs fine and I ran a speedtest of 6.5 meg
    -My Sony Vaio only has one ethernet port annoyingly as I paid a quite a bit for it!
    -My Sony Vaio runs Vista...

I'm sure I'll be aloud to use more than one connection at the same time, but I'll ring them up when I get back to halls.

ReputationRep:
    -My xbox live runs fine and I ran a speedtest of 6.5 meg
    -My Sony Vaio only has one ethernet port annoyingly as I paid a quite a bit for it!
    -My Sony Vaio runs Vista...

I'm sure I'll be aloud to use more than one connection at the same time, but I'll ring them up when I get back to halls.
    It's not as definite as you make it sound. :no:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mad Vlad)
    It's not as definite as you make it sound. :no:
    Hehe well I'll make sure I ask them. I just want to go on both at the same time instead of having to unplug one.

Been reading the product I posted and the reviews don't look too promising

ReputationRep:
    They wouldn't know you had a switch or hub in anyway as its pretty much a passive device.

Just get a cheap switch off ebay, rather than a hub or router.

ReputationRep:
    If you are on a JANET connection, I reckon there's a good chance connecting more than one device simultaneously will be banned. It is in Manchester.

ReputationRep:
    Ignoring any issues with rules, setup a cable router with the mac address cloned from the laptop.

What university even lets you use Xbox live? At keele we are stuck with stupid speeds, stupid limits, and definitely no Xbox live.

ReputationRep:
    IF you're allowed... :ninja:

I'd recommend something simple like this. http://www.ebuyer.com/product/119379

It enables you to add other devices at another time, a Ps3 or another computer or whatever.

It's similiar to the one i have.

Edit: http://www.ebuyer.com/product/132456

£2 cheaper and has many good reviews.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tcb1992)
    What university even lets you use Xbox live? At keele we are stuck with stupid speeds, stupid limits, and definitely no Xbox live.
    Manchester allows consoles on the halls network.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tcb1992)
    I'm at Manchester Met and as far as I'm aware I have unlimited bandwidth too! My flatmates have been downloading and streaming off iplayer and others for awhile!

ReputationRep:
    I'm at Manchester Met and as far as I'm aware I have unlimited bandwidth too! My flatmates have been downloading and streaming off iplayer and others for awhile!
    If you're at Man Met, you're on Hornet right? That'll mean if you are caught with more than device connected at once, the hornet staff will bend you over and violate you.

Just make the Xbox and PC MAC addresses the same, and then swap around the cable when you want to use one of them. There's no need to do anything else.

ReputationRep:
    MMU does let you use it, one of my mates last year actually rang up the technicans and they told him how to get it working.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you rather give up salt or pepper?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.