The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

I forgot to answer the OP:

I don't think it will DESTROY your chances, that's a very strong word, but it might not look great - usually the minimum Univesities go for is a B in English Language and Maths. Some require lower, some require higher. Is there a reason you did badly in it, or are you just ... not good at Maths? (or I guess, is there a reason you aren't good at maths? Dyscalculic?). If so, you could probably resit it and just explain that you found grasping Mathematical concepts hard. No biggie, some people just do.
Reply 21
Your life is doomed for ever no mtter if you have a 1st degree and 4 A*s at A level that C wll always hold you back.
bambipoppins
Opps. It should be 7, I put German Twice.
I got a C in German so I dropped it. At AS everything else was an A.
I'll let you know my A2's :smile:

Wow! That is amazing!
I wish that I had taken my life slower and planned more so that my chances to get into Cambridge would be much higher - I was just dazed and semi-conscious for most of my teenage life. Now, at 17, I have woken up and determined.

If I could just go back in time, I would change many things.

By the way, will you marry me? :h:
Dogatonic
Grrr...

What if I'm planning on doing something not very mathematical like Anthropology or International Relations? Is it not so apocalyptic then?

This is under the assumption you will be applying for Cambridge Arch and Anth

For Hughes Hall, "Mathematics to a good GCSE is normally required".

Other colleges may have a test at interview or ask for you to submit a school/college essay.

This is under the assumption you will be applying for Oxford Arch and Anth

Criteria for admission

Essentially, they want the best people on their course and those with the most academic potential. Typically people DO get in with "poor grades" in unrelated subjects, but I would advise you to contact specific colleges/departments to see their opinion on your GCSE Maths at grade C just to be sure. Hopefully you will have no problem.

Good luck.
Reply 24
If it was a non-core subject then you could just not put it on the application. But everybody does Maths GCSE so they'll know you've taken it and assume you got an even worse grade. If you think you can do better you could resit it and use it to show you don't give up on things, but it isn't realistically going to be the deciding factor on getting in or not.

If you have great A level predictions as well as 7 A* GCSEs then that is enough academically, as long as you do a good application to go with that. I have a friend who went to Cambridge with a B in an A level ( which matters a lot more than GCSE grades), so don't worry about it too much. Just check there is no minimum Maths grade on the course you apply to. This is usually only C for non-maths related subjects so you should be fine.

Latest

Trending

Trending