Hans Bertens produced the idea, of a distinction between MARXIST POLITICS and MARXIST THINKING.
Bertens central ideas:
- Humans are not free independent agents, acting as individuals with unlimited choices. This is why the essentialist approach to literature has to be abandoned in favour of seeing literature as representational.
- Humans (us and the writer) are not seperate fron the socio-economic conditions we live under. We think and behave in certain ways because we have to. The life of the reader and the work of the author are bound together by contextual connections.
- The idea of choice is all an illusion, the choices we have are much more limited than we pretend.
- We are alienated from the world because there is a gap between what we see as potential and what life actually has to offer.
- Bertens implies that the Capitalist system appears to offer us choices but does not do so in reality.
With the key points in mind, how can I 'Examine the female and male characters in Enduring Love, assigning a label according to Bertens.'
Your replies shall be an amazing help to me!
take care xx
Half of the top 10 aren't even RG...