Turn on thread page Beta

What to do about boyfriends ex? watch

(Original post by big-boss-91)
    yeah try and keep it safe, and i think it'll be a good idea to talk to your boyfriend about the situation and how you feel about it, he will understand what you're going through and maybe he'll reassure you.
    thanks i think i will tell him when i see him later today, he has always reassured me in the past (as in one of the reasons i was doubting whether to tell him how i liked him, was because i was worried he still had feelings for this girl, and he always told me that they were over and no feeelings were there), so itl probably make me feel a bit better if i tell him ..xx

(Original post by Anonymous)
    I am in a similar situation, but my bf is 8 years older than me and was married to his ex. I met him not long after she had left him and I knew at that point that they were still really good friends, just that she was no longer "in" love with him. I have only met her a few times since then, but I always find it unbelievably awkward and have no clue as to how to handle the situation. For that reason I have mainly gotten on with the "just get over it" approach, ignoring it and hoping it will sort itself out. So far it's going ok, but i still feel a massive amount of tension around her (it doesn't help that the few times I have met her have been at national events for an organisation she has been in since she was a teenager and now runs, and so I feel like everyone there is friends of them as a couple that have known them forever, and I'm just filling in for her when we're there now, as I never got to go to them as an ordinary person, only as his gf!)

I can promise it should get a little better, but I don't think you will ever be able to get over it completely: it is one thing to say that is the mature, adult approach, but I don't think many people really handle close exes well!
    thanks so much for sharing ur experience, that is honestly exactly how i feel, its just this tension and not knowing how to handle the situation really. it must be more difficult for you as he was maried to her, but it sounds like ur doing ur best to deal with it. i know what you mean, my bf and his ex were in the same halls in first yr and so all of their friends are in a big group and it can sometimes be difficult to know where you stand.
    hopefully it will get a little better and i can adjust abit more..i don't want to feel this way around her and i don't mean to have these negative feelings, but yes i just don't think i will ever be completely comfortable around it, speshly since at the time of their FWB thing, my bf was very open about it with me and so iv always been quite aware of what was going on xxx

ReputationRep:
    I know what you mean; I've met pretty much all of my boyfriend's exes because they're still good friends. It's weird thinking that they've seen him naked and had sex with him and all this. And I won't lie to you, it is a little bit threatening.

I think the only thing you can do is try and not think about it. Maybe get to know her better so she becomes a friend, rather than a threat.

ReputationRep:
    I don't think it's odd for you to feel like that, I think it's odd to be in the situation where you are meeting someone else your partner has slept with and you are reacting naturally.

If you are really struggling with it then just make friends with other people and keep your distance from her as much as possible?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    thanks i think i will tell him when i see him later today, he has always reassured me in the past (as in one of the reasons i was doubting whether to tell him how i liked him, was because i was worried he still had feelings for this girl, and he always told me that they were over and no feeelings were there), so itl probably make me feel a bit better if i tell him ..xx
    it will feel better, its good to get things off your chest. He wouldn't still have feelings for her, he's with you now which means you mean more to him than this other girl

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: October 4, 2010
The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
Will you be tempted to trade up and get out of your firm offer on results day?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.