Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    hi

I'm applying to all three of the Glasgow unis this year for biomed. I'm sort of unsure as to which uni is the best for biomed/bioscience.

I was quite set on Strathy last year cos I was applying for chemistry, but I didn't get in.

My lecturers told me that caledonian is the best for biomed in glasgow because its course is very good if you're hoping to work in the NHS. I'm taking a shine to analytical toxicology/clinical biochemistry in the NHS which requires a biomed degree that's recognised by the HPC, so goodgood. It's recognised by the IBMS(?) and the HPC and it has a really good bioscience faculty.

Strathy's course is also recognised by the IBMS (dunno about the HPC) but I have no idea what their bioscience depts are like. Any ideas?

Glasgow seems like a very good uni but its Biomed courses aren't recognised. Again though, I dunno much about its bioscience bits so again, any ideas?

The course I'm currently doing enables me to gain 2nd year entry into Caledonian and Strathy, but not Glasgow. I'd like 2nd year entry cos of funding.

I'm also applying to UWS and Dundee.

So...any advice?

ReputationRep:
    Personally, I'd pick strathy. Caley doesn't have a good name attatched to it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by pamelaa)
    Personally, I'd pick strathy. Caley doesn't have a good name attatched to it.
    How so?

ReputationRep:
    Glasgow Caldeonian University has a great reputation. It used to be the only University in Glasgow where you could do a degree in Biomedical Science accredited by the Institute of Biomedical Science - if you did the same degree at Glasgow you would have to do a diploma (so an extra year at uni) to gain equivalence.

I believe now that Strathclyde is also accredited, so you have 2 good Universities to choose from.

Hope that helps....

ReputationRep:
    The biomed courses at all top unis arent accredited, if you actually want to work as a biomedical scientist in the NHS, you should go to caly or strathclyde. If your long term aim is to use biomed as a stepping stone to another course such as medicine, dentistry e.t.c. then go to glasgow.

ReputationRep:
    Glasgow Uni's Bio Med degree isn't recognised by some accredation, but it's the best uni interms of repuation, student life, campus etc.
    Caley doesn't have a good rep because it used to be a Polytechnic, the entry requirements are low, and their student services seem below par. I went to their open day last year and I didn't like the campus at all - but it depends on what YOU like though.
    I'd go for Strathclyde their degree is accredited, it's a good uni, and it's in the centre of town.

ReputationRep:
    I would advise Caledonian University for Biomedical Science. When I was applying, members of staff at the open day at Glasgow Uni actually told me themselves not to apply for it at Glasgow.

As a current student at the University of Glasgow, I must warn you that you are not even guaranteed to do the degree you apply for. Everyone studies general biology in 1st and 2nd year before applying at the end of 2nd year for a place in a 3rd year degree program. This can be very misleading as many people did not get accepted for the degree of their choice despite having a gpa of over 12 (when you only need 11 to get in).

Therefore, If biomed is something you are sure you want to do, no doubts I would completely rule out Glasgow.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.