The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
sorry for all the questions. Is there any point in doing a dissertation which has already been done..like the research question has already been answered..is this even allowed?
Reply 21
G_S
sorry for all the questions. Is there any point in doing a dissertation which has already been done..like the research question has already been answered..is this even allowed?

Well, it kind of depends on what you mean by 'it has already been done'. No-one is expecting you to reinvent the wheel, obviously, and a lot of ground will have been covered already, but there should be some new aspect about the way in which you're tackling the topic.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 22
hobnob
Well, it kind of depends on what you mean by 'it has already been done'. No-one is expecting you to reinvent the wheel, obviously, and a lot of ground will have been covered already, but there should be some new aspect about the way in which you're tackling the topic.

what if there is no new aspect
Reply 23
G_S
what if there is no new aspect

Then it would probably be better if you chose to do something else.
Reply 24
hobnob
Then it would probably be better if you chose to do something else.

personally i am doing something different..but a friend did it like that and passed thats why I asked..thanks for ur help.
Reply 25
Remember, compiling a dissertation topic isn't always about finding new ground. Many successful research careers are built upon challenging existing principles, notions, theories and conclusions.

The best way I have found in selecting dissertation and research topics, is to read further into a particular area you thoroughly enjoy. Once you've finished a book, perhaps select a particular theme, event, or character that interested you most and look at the bibliography to see where the author found their sources. The next step would be to look at those sources and see the controversies, current theories, or even research-holes that exist. Bibliographies create excellent trails for you to look deep into a particular topic to see how it has been developed. This can often built a picture up for you on how worthwhile a topic is to tackle yourself, ie by noticing that most research has focused on this or that fact/perspective, without taking into account or connecting it with XYZ.

In history, there is a debate whether we should let the sources provide us with the questions, or whether we should apply the questions to the sources. Emperical exactness may demand the former, but practical necessity dictates that we should approach a topic with certain questions or hypothesis in mind.

So take a more laid-back approach at first by doing a bit of reading and seeing where your enjoyment and interests might lie.
Reply 26
I agree with Haloface's points. In fact, though it is not related to my academic research at university, my first paper challenges the (dominant) view about how C.S. Lewis's The Chronicles of Narnia should be read. I find it is far easier challenging other peoples views than reinventing the wheel, so to speak. You will be surprised just how much ideologically driven crap is out there, and just how much is left unchallenged, because other academics happen to agree with their point of view rather than how useful the work actually is.

Latest

Trending

Trending