Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Housemate is pretty much a slob and thiefdont know what to do about it watch

Announcements

Lived here just a week, on first day spent a hour cleaning up as he had never bothered to do it in months, cleaned wooden floor, hoovered every room bar his and took out overpiling rubbish and cleaned some mouldy plates and cutlery.

The next monrng the table in living room was covered in tobacco again sincehe makes roll ups on it and also loads over the floor and this happens like every day.

Secondly he keeps stealing all my food and when I tell him about it he is just like "oh but I forgot to go to the shops" in fact on my 2nd night there I went back to old place to get some possessions and on my return he had my bottle of drink besides him half drunk, my takeaway rice I got for a treat, and every food item I owned!

Things go missing like very day and on Friday night bought a take away and got enough prawn crackers to feed about 2-4 people so asked if he wanted some which he did of course, next morning he entire packet was gone and my large packet of biscuits was half eaten, my bottle of dr pepper was besides him, and yesterday he went to the shops and purchased 3 bottles of beer, and a large packet of crisps and just left the beer bottles on the ground when finished, and literally chucked his crisp wrapper in the air onto the ground.

I dont know if my description is that great but he just is bone idle and never does anything around the house to the point the kitchen stank of mould or similar to hot sweaty feet, and he himself stinks like he hasnt washed in weeks.

I am a little paranoid at times over hygine but even if I wasnt this guy would be shocking!

Dont know what to do as he shrugs anything I say off.

ReputationRep:
    Move out?

ReputationRep:
    Sounds like a pretty awful situation.

The only thing I can suggest is to either keep bringing it up and mention that you are annoyed or upset that he isn't pulling his weight, or make up something like "the landlord/estate agent is coming round for an inspection so it has to be tidy".

About the food, I don't really know what you can do short of just keeping it in your room, but that's hardly practical.

You've got to just tell him what's wrong else he'll never know and keep doing it. If you make it obvious you're unhappy or annoyed maybe he'll do something about it.

ReputationRep:
    Eliminate him.

(Original post by nelg-o-pad)
    Sounds like a pretty awful situation.

The only thing I can suggest is to either keep bringing it up and mention that you are annoyed or upset that he isn't pulling his weight, or make up something like "the landlord/estate agent is coming round for an inspection so it has to be tidy".

About the food, I don't really know what you can do short of just keeping it in your room, but that's hardly practical.

You've got to just tell him what's wrong else he'll never know and keep doing it. If you make it obvious you're unhappy or annoyed maybe he'll do something about it.
    Landlord doesnt mind the place being a mess and warned me before I moved in about tenant, I have said to the other tenant that I have spent a lot of time tidying up so all he needs to do is put his plate and cutlery in the sink and I would clean it for him, and if hes making a roll up try and do it on his tray(he uses a old microwave bowl as a ashtray)

He has only moaned a bit once when he had all his uni work spread over the living room floor and I said I would tidy it up for him and put in in shelf unit he said its not bothering anyone.

Literally the house was full of dust of dirt when I arrived the guy admitted to me he is lazy and doesnt care about cleanliness.s

ReputationRep:
    One of you needs to move before it becomes even more intolerable.

(Original post by LoserOfTheWest)
    Eliminate him.
    This. This guy clearly doesn't know how to live with other people. :wtf:

ReputationRep:
    Poop in his bed.

That'll teach him about cleanliness.

ReputationRep:
    Confront him, stop giving off the vibe your ok with it, sounds like he has 0 respect for you and knows your not going to stand up for yourself.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tehforum)
    Poop in his bed.

That'll teach him about cleanliness.
    This. Or on his clothes or something

ReputationRep:
    Eliminate him.

ReputationRep:
    You know what to do....

ReputationRep:
    Kick his ass.

ReputationRep:
    Dont keep offering to do things for him. By doing so he knows he can get away with it.

As for your food tell him to stop eating it and if he doesnt then resort to other methods such as hiding your food or if all else fails poison it.

If you can move out, he will end up causing you to get depressed

ReputationRep:
    spit in your food at least then you'll get a fiendish delight when you see he's eating/drinking it.

I have more suggestions but i'm afraid they are too cruel for TSR...
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    OP he is clearly a human form of a rat. How do we get rid of rats? We poison them

ReputationRep:
    I wouldnt take that.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    Lived here just a week, on first day spent a hour cleaning up as he had never bothered to do it in months, cleaned wooden floor, hoovered every room bar his and took out overpiling rubbish and cleaned some mouldy plates and cutlery.

The next monrng the table in living room was covered in tobacco again sincehe makes roll ups on it and also loads over the floor and this happens like every day.

Secondly he keeps stealing all my food and when I tell him about it he is just like "oh but I forgot to go to the shops" in fact on my 2nd night there I went back to old place to get some possessions and on my return he had my bottle of drink besides him half drunk, my takeaway rice I got for a treat, and every food item I owned!

Things go missing like very day and on Friday night bought a take away and got enough prawn crackers to feed about 2-4 people so asked if he wanted some which he did of course, next morning he entire packet was gone and my large packet of biscuits was half eaten, my bottle of dr pepper was besides him, and yesterday he went to the shops and purchased 3 bottles of beer, and a large packet of crisps and just left the beer bottles on the ground when finished, and literally chucked his crisp wrapper in the air onto the ground.

I dont know if my description is that great but he just is bone idle and never does anything around the house to the point the kitchen stank of mould or similar to hot sweaty feet, and he himself stinks like he hasnt washed in weeks.

I am a little paranoid at times over hygine but even if I wasnt this guy would be shocking!

Dont know what to do as he shrugs anything I say off.

Why are you his housemate? If you are a first year then I presume you are in Uni accomodation (or Uni recommended accomodation) in which case make a formal complaint about him and/ or ask for alternative accomodation. If you are a second year and renting private accomodation why the heck did you choose him for a flatmate? If there's a reason why you truly can't either a) get rid of him or b) get away from him then stop leaving your food and drink where he can get his hands on it i.e. buy a mini fridge for your room and keep all your stuff in your room, only buy it day to day etc. As for his hygiene, not sure what you can do other than stock up on Dettox and anti bacterial wipes and clean as you go....

ReputationRep:
    Clearly you need to tell him to **** off. I'm sure you're too nice a person to be comfortable doing that, but I don't see any way to resolve this situation without moving out or going out of your way to offend him.

Although personally I wouldn't expect any miracles, it depends on your lease but you really need to move ASAP. Also talk to your landlord and see if anything can be done, but you need to be proactive and forceful on this issue.

ReputationRep:
    Perhaps you should ask whether he would be prepared to start paying you £5.93 an hour for services you currently render free-of-charge.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: October 3, 2010
Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.