Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Housemate is pretty much a slob and thiefdont know what to do about it Watch

ReputationRep:
    Move out. Or get a fridge in your room and keep everything in there so he can't nick it.
    The cleanliness thing is bad, but stealing food is just awful. He must know that that's wrong, surely? :lolwut:

ReputationRep:
    That would really wind me up. Drop kick him.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    Lived here just a week, on first day spent a hour cleaning up as he had never bothered to do it in months, cleaned wooden floor, hoovered every room bar his and took out overpiling rubbish and cleaned some mouldy plates and cutlery.

The next monrng the table in living room was covered in tobacco again sincehe makes roll ups on it and also loads over the floor and this happens like every day.

Secondly he keeps stealing all my food and when I tell him about it he is just like "oh but I forgot to go to the shops" in fact on my 2nd night there I went back to old place to get some possessions and on my return he had my bottle of drink besides him half drunk, my takeaway rice I got for a treat, and every food item I owned!

Things go missing like very day and on Friday night bought a take away and got enough prawn crackers to feed about 2-4 people so asked if he wanted some which he did of course, next morning he entire packet was gone and my large packet of biscuits was half eaten, my bottle of dr pepper was besides him, and yesterday he went to the shops and purchased 3 bottles of beer, and a large packet of crisps and just left the beer bottles on the ground when finished, and literally chucked his crisp wrapper in the air onto the ground.

I dont know if my description is that great but he just is bone idle and never does anything around the house to the point the kitchen stank of mould or similar to hot sweaty feet, and he himself stinks like he hasnt washed in weeks.

I am a little paranoid at times over hygine but even if I wasnt this guy would be shocking!

Dont know what to do as he shrugs anything I say off.
    I'd put all of my food in my room and lock my door when I go out (buy a mini fridge?)

If he's lived there for a while he has been capable of buying his own food so it shouldn't be any different now.

Get your own mini fridge and put your food in there
    Or
    Write your name on your things saying Do Not Touch
    Or
    Put laxatives in the food and see him run to the toilet every 5 mins he'll learn not to touch your things again :beard:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Indieboohoo)
    Get your own mini fridge and put your food in there
    Or
    Write your name on your things saying Do Not Touch
    Or
    But Laxatives in the food and see him run to the toilet every 5 mins he'll learn not to touch your things again :beard:
    :cool: This.

ReputationRep:
    Give him pink eye.

ReputationRep:
    The cleaning thing is very unfortunate but I'm not really sure what you can do. You shouldn't have to put up with it at all, but at the same time you have to live with him.

First of all, if you haven't already ask him nicely to clean a bit more. I know how annoying it can be to have an unclean housemate! It's very awkward. But other than hinting and asking nicely there isn't that much you can do without causing a conflict.

But the stealing thing, you definitely should not put up with.

For anything which is dry, keep it in your room for a start. Don't leave him with food wherever possible Say again nicely hey, stop stealing my food. If he doesn't stop, say it firmly to show that you're getting annoyed now. Honestly, if he continues I'd probably get the landlord involved if you can.

Taking a tea bag or sugar or something every now and then cause you genuinely forgot to go shopping is all right, but eating large amounts of someone's food repeatedly is completely unacceptable, especially considering students don't have much money!

ReputationRep:
    Lived here just a week, on first day spent a hour cleaning up as he had never bothered to do it in months, cleaned wooden floor, hoovered every room bar his and took out overpiling rubbish and cleaned some mouldy plates and cutlery.

The next monrng the table in living room was covered in tobacco again sincehe makes roll ups on it and also loads over the floor and this happens like every day.

Secondly he keeps stealing all my food and when I tell him about it he is just like "oh but I forgot to go to the shops" in fact on my 2nd night there I went back to old place to get some possessions and on my return he had my bottle of drink besides him half drunk, my takeaway rice I got for a treat, and every food item I owned!

Things go missing like very day and on Friday night bought a take away and got enough prawn crackers to feed about 2-4 people so asked if he wanted some which he did of course, next morning he entire packet was gone and my large packet of biscuits was half eaten, my bottle of dr pepper was besides him, and yesterday he went to the shops and purchased 3 bottles of beer, and a large packet of crisps and just left the beer bottles on the ground when finished, and literally chucked his crisp wrapper in the air onto the ground.

I dont know if my description is that great but he just is bone idle and never does anything around the house to the point the kitchen stank of mould or similar to hot sweaty feet, and he himself stinks like he hasnt washed in weeks.

I am a little paranoid at times over hygine but even if I wasnt this guy would be shocking!

Dont know what to do as he shrugs anything I say off.
    Easy way out of this:
    A. Lower your own personal hygeine standards, and you won't notice his uncleanness.
    B. Don't leave any food about. Eat it all before he can get his hands on it.
    C. Eat anything of his that he leaves lying around.

(Original post by bookera)
    Why are you his housemate? If you are a first year then I presume you are in Uni accomodation (or Uni recommended accomodation) in which case make a formal complaint about him and/ or ask for alternative accomodation. If you are a second year and renting private accomodation why the heck did you choose him for a flatmate? If there's a reason why you truly can't either a) get rid of him or b) get away from him then stop leaving your food and drink where he can get his hands on it i.e. buy a mini fridge for your room and keep all your stuff in your room, only buy it day to day etc. As for his hygiene, not sure what you can do other than stock up on Dettox and anti bacterial wipes and clean as you go....
    I didnt choose him, he has been in property 2 years and the room was advertised at uni and was only place in my price range, its a great house and dirt cheap rent just needs some TLC and landlord seems really good(round a few times a week and chats for ages or asks if anything we need)

I cant just go to shops every day since where we are is a housing estate out of city centre 4 miles from centre and even the city centre has no supermarkets about(bar expensive ones) there is a Morrisons 5 minutes walk away but it closed at 8pm so by time I have come back from uni I would have to rush back out to get food.

I dont think he is just being disrespectful I just think he is a waster, he is a very friendly guy but his personality just comes across as not bothered about anything, he never leaves the house bar to go to uni, or to get a few items from shop, has no visitors because he dislikes everyone on his course(and says they dislike him)

Ironically he spends a huge amount of time doing his uni work everyday and is very hard working at that but nothing else!

I put up with it as I am never going to get a place in this price range in my city again unless its in a dodgy flat share/sublet and in a very rough area plus LL let me take property without a deposit(as he said he could tell I wasnt going to trash place)

I am not expecting much, just that he put something to the side when done, or put his plate in a sink and even put his rubbish in bin instead of the floor.

ReputationRep:
    I'd give him a proportional taste of his own medicine.

If I were a female I'd leave a nail varnished sanitary towel on his bed and sanitary product wrappers all over the floor. And maybe leave all my shaven vag hair in the bath.

I'm pretty sure he'd either leave or get the message.

ReputationRep:
    I didnt choose him, he has been in property 2 years and the room was advertised at uni and was only place in my price range, its a great house and dirt cheap rent just needs some TLC and landlord seems really good(round a few times a week and chats for ages or asks if anything we need)

I cant just go to shops every day since where we are is a housing estate out of city centre 4 miles from centre and even the city centre has no supermarkets about(bar expensive ones) there is a Morrisons 5 minutes walk away but it closed at 8pm so by time I have come back from uni I would have to rush back out to get food.

I dont think he is just being disrespectful I just think he is a waster, he is a very friendly guy but his personality just comes across as not bothered about anything, he never leaves the house bar to go to uni, or to get a few items from shop, has no visitors because he dislikes everyone on his course(and says they dislike him)

Ironically he spends a huge amount of time doing his uni work everyday and is very hard working at that but nothing else!

I put up with it as I am never going to get a place in this price range in my city again unless its in a dodgy flat share/sublet and in a very rough area plus LL let me take property without a deposit(as he said he could tell I wasnt going to trash place)

I am not expecting much, just that he put something to the side when done, or put his plate in a sink and even put his rubbish in bin instead of the floor.

I really feel for you. If you are really stuck with him then you could try buying a mini fridge for your room, at least then you can have some things that you know he can't take. If he has a better nature as you seem to think, and isn't just a pig, why don't you have a chat with him and suggest to him that he gives you so much money towards the weekly groceries and in return you will stock up the larder/ do some of the cooking? At least then he is contributing and it won't feel like he's stealing from you. If you feel you can have an honest talk with him then try that - maybe he just doesn't realise how he is making you feel. Good luck with it.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: October 3, 2010
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brexit voters: Do you stand by your vote?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.