The Student Room Group
There is a mistake in the question. You can see just by looking at the points that one has a negative gradient and the other a positive gradient.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 2
bull3tkid-ark
The line r passes through the points (-3,0) and (3,-2) and the line s passes through (5,-3) and (20,9). Show that the lines r and s are parallel.

Is this a trick question? I plotted them both and they looked nowhere near parallel! I also worked out there gradients and they were not the same :s

help please, STEP BY STEP!

Ignore that
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 3
Oh right there's a mistake... hmmm check it.
Dededex
You could do a variety of things to prove that they are parallel.

Personally, I would find the midpoints of each set of coordinates, so for the first one you have:

(3+32,022)(\frac{-3+3}{2},\frac{0-2}{2})

You know where to go from there I presume?

I am losing the will to live today.
Reply 5
bull3tkid-ark
:redface: there's 2 questions in a row that don't make sense xDxD
The other one:
The line l passes through the points (4,4) and (-1,-6) and the line n passes through the points (1,8) and (-1,2). Show that the lines l and n are perpendicular.

There's a mistake in this question too. Where did you get these questions from?
bull3tkid-ark
:redface: there's 2 questions in a row that don't make sense xDxD
The other one:
The line l passes through the points (4,4) and (-1,-6) and the line n passes through the points (1,8) and (-1,2). Show that the lines l and n are perpendicular.

Wrong too.
Reply 7
Mr M
I am losing the will to live today.

What? Don't expect me to pick up on mistakes straight away... :s-smilie: Ok ok I made a mistake I know but seriously...
(edited 13 years ago)
Dededex
What? Don't expect me to pick up on mistakes straight away... :s-smilie: Ok ok I made a mistake I know but seriously...

I genuinely don't know where you were thinking with your suggestion. How would finding the midpoints of two line segments help someone prove they are parallel?
(edited 13 years ago)

Latest