Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by aspirinpharmacist)
    I was there last weekend and my mum was amazed by how quiet it was at night compared to other cities. She was like "If this is the worst it gets on a Saturday night, you'll be fine." :lol:
    haha, I mean sometimes PoW rd can get a bit roudy and fights sometimes happen, but it's nothing compared to other cities. My best friend was visiting from Notts. uni, and she was so surprised at how safe it is here, like they always have to get a taxi to clubs because they wouldn't dare get the bus, no one goes out by themselves once its dark etc. .... where as we always get the bus at what ever hour, will walk home by ourselves whatever hour... and casually play hide and seek at 2/3am in Earlham Park in the dense fog haha. It's kinda scary how safe/nice it is here
    But it is weird considering how it's a city that by like 8/9 it's very quiet around St Stephens/Castle Meadow (although the shops are closed). Like where I live even though the shops close at 5:30 its still really busy later.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by makingamemory)
    haha, I mean sometimes PoW rd can get a bit roudy and fights sometimes happen, but it's nothing compared to other cities. My best friend was visiting from Notts. uni, and she was so surprised at how safe it is here, like they always have to get a taxi to clubs because they wouldn't dare get the bus, no one goes out by themselves once its dark etc. .... where as we always get the bus at what ever hour, will walk home by ourselves whatever hour... and casually play hide and seek at 2/3am in Earlham Park in the dense fog haha. It's kinda scary how safe/nice it is here
    But it is weird considering how it's a city that by like 8/9 it's very quiet around St Stephens/Castle Meadow (although the shops are closed). Like where I live even though the shops close at 5:30 its still really busy later.
    Sounds like a great place to live. Guess I know which uni I'm going to then.

ReputationRep:
    Can someone tell me if M Bradbury teaches at all on the BA literature and creative writing ?

And for economics what are the average lecture/ tute sizes ?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by aspirinpharmacist)
    Sounds like a great place to live. Guess I know which uni I'm going to then.
    Wooo! It is, I've really grown to Norwich, it's a cute little city. I went to Norwich Cathedral during a geology trip this week, which is brilliant and there's this Victorian garden, that used to be a limestone mining pit near it's entrance and it was beautiful even though it's being restored. Then you have so many random small streets with little quirky independent shops. Then all the main shops are in one place (compared to where I live where some local towns might not have one shop, or only has one large department store, so you have to travel to more than one place).

ReputationRep:
    I got my conditional offer about a month ago for Media Studies and I'm choosing between UEA and Nottingham to firm. Anyone have any comments or suggestions?

I'm most concerned about accommodation and international students life. Thanks :]

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by maivi.dang)
    I got my conditional offer about a month ago for Media Studies and I'm choosing between UEA and Nottingham to firm. Anyone have any comments or suggestions?

I'm most concerned about accommodation and international students life. Thanks :]
    I was considering Nottingham before I looked round it, heard good things about it and a friend's sister goes there. Personally, wasn't a huge fan, it seemed a bit too private-schooly with the dining room, common room, house monitors and so on. But that suits some people more than others.
    The crime rate is huge, it's the 'murder capital' of the UK and there's a big druggie problem at the centre. Friend's sister says you're pretty much guaranteed to have your laptop stolen and once someone went through the entire flat to find the keys for a Mini parked outside (they found them). Obviously you can avoid this kind of thing with precautions, but it is a dangerous area, and you'll probably have accommodation in the city second and third year. Norwich on the other hand is one of the safest places in the country, crime rates are minimal.
    Nottingham does have some great points too and I have a couple friends thinking of going, but personally I'd choose UEA.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by maivi.dang)

Well as far as accomodation goes, most of it is on campus, its all self catered and mostly ensuite- its a lot cheaper than Nottinghams halls- the most expensive hall is around £4k a year,where as at Nottingham you can easily pay £5-6k, and although this includes food, you can easily spend less than £1k on food, especially if you will be at home in the holiday. This also gives you flexibility about when and what to eat. If you are a non EU student you can live in halls all 3 years of your undergrad degree should you want to. If you have any specific questions about accomodation feel free to ask.

As far as internationals go (and im including EU students in this), the ones who have made an effort to talk to people have integrated well into the wider community and have not had trouble making friends-I know people from Norway, France, Germany, Canada and the US and Ireland (NI and Republic) who've had no problem. If you are non EU you'd move in a few days before the home students so you can get settled, but as soon as you arrive say hi to them and they will be fine. The problem arises with those who just lock themselves in their room or run away when people try and give a friendly hi. Without meaning to sound sterotypical its mostly the Chinese students that do this, and the rest of us find it such a shame that they hide from us like this. Also I did see some international societies at the freshers fair.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by makingamemory)
    Wooo! It is, I've really grown to Norwich, it's a cute little city. I went to Norwich Cathedral during a geology trip this week, which is brilliant and there's this Victorian garden, that used to be a limestone mining pit near it's entrance and it was beautiful even though it's being restored. Then you have so many random small streets with little quirky independent shops. Then all the main shops are in one place (compared to where I live where some local towns might not have one shop, or only has one large department store, so you have to travel to more than one place).
    I went in the cathedral last weekend! It's so beautiful. Loved it. Spent the whole time I was wandering the streets peering at a map though, so I didn't get lost. But ahhh, just love Norwich. Firmed UEA yesterday.

ReputationRep:
    Hi, I've just been offered a place on a headstart science summer school at UEA, but my parents are having a bit of a stress over the 6 hour drive there and the £255 cost.
    Any really good facts about UEA that'll make them see it as a really good opportunity for me? Preferably something academic like beating oxbridge or something...
    Please help! I really want to go!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dragonkeeper999)
    Hi, I've just been offered a place on a headstart science summer school at UEA, but my parents are having a bit of a stress over the 6 hour drive there and the £255 cost.
    Any really good facts about UEA that'll make them see it as a really good opportunity for me? Preferably something academic like beating oxbridge or something...
    Please help! I really want to go!

http://www.whatuni.com/degrees/home.html

Pretty much any category on there.

(Though I'm not sure how reliable it is, it looks pretty impressive!)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Joseppea)
    http://www.whatuni.com/degrees/home.html

Pretty much any category on there.

(Though I'm not sure how reliable it is, it looks pretty impressive!)
    Thanks!!! They've got a pretty good ranking, good student reviews... Excellent!

ReputationRep:
    Anyone already at UEA have any tips for us newbies? Places to go, things to do, clubs to join?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jess Holly)
    Anyone already at UEA have any tips for us newbies? Places to go, things to do, clubs to join?
    You'll get a buttload of introductory stuff going on in freshers week, like the freshers fair and the society fair. Which you'll be told about in advance.
    If you can't make the society fair you can always join online, there's pretty much a society for everything so you're bound to find something to interest you. I'm currently part of the History society and the PSI society, and am also thinking about joining the comedy society, purely because I have friends in it.

Definitely go to the freshers events at the LCR in the first week, tickets for them will be available from early September and you'll be emailed a link for them. Buy tickets for most of the events if you can, that way if your new friends are going to a certain event you won't be sat in the flat feeling left out. And you'll always be able to find someone to sell your ticket to if you don't need it

Aside from that it's really a matter of preference. If you tell me what you're interested in and what you like doing I can be more specific

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hazular)
    You'll get a buttload of introductory stuff going on in freshers week, like the freshers fair and the society fair. Which you'll be told about in advance.
    If you can't make the society fair you can always join online, there's pretty much a society for everything so you're bound to find something to interest you. I'm currently part of the History society and the PSI society, and am also thinking about joining the comedy society, purely because I have friends in it.

Definitely go to the freshers events at the LCR in the first week, tickets for them will be available from early September and you'll be emailed a link for them. Buy tickets for most of the events if you can, that way if your new friends are going to a certain event you won't be sat in the flat feeling left out. And you'll always be able to find someone to sell your ticket to if you don't need it

Aside from that it's really a matter of preference. If you tell me what you're interested in and what you like doing I can be more specific
    Thanks Yeah, I figured going to as many things as possible would be fun. It's difficult to say what I'm interested in as I have no idea what the clubs are, but I don't want to join a lot and then not go because there's too much going on. Was thinking along the lines of dance/martial arts/comedy, but I'm open to ideas :L How often do you meet up? And is there anything you wish you'd done differently, or joined, when you first came to uni?

I was wondering about places in Norwich as well. Been there quite a few times but just for shopping purposes, are there any particularly good clubs for when the LCR gets boring?

ReputationRep:
    Thanks Yeah, I figured going to as many things as possible would be fun. It's difficult to say what I'm interested in as I have no idea what the clubs are, but I don't want to join a lot and then not go because there's too much going on. Was thinking along the lines of dance/martial arts/comedy, but I'm open to ideas :L How often do you meet up? And is there anything you wish you'd done differently, or joined, when you first came to uni?

I was wondering about places in Norwich as well. Been there quite a few times but just for shopping purposes, are there any particularly good clubs for when the LCR gets boring?
    Well here is a link to the clubs & societies page where you can have a browse at what there is There will deffo be a society for all of those three things, but as I'm not a member I'm not sure how often any of them meet except the comedy society. Comedy society meets most Friday nights where you generally hang out and have a laugh. There's a little bit of participation involved but you don't have to do too much. Occasionally they'll also do standup nights in the grad bar, which are always fun! Here's a link to the comedy society's youtube, you can check out some stuff they do on there.

As for what I wish I'd done differently- I wish I'd have made more of an effort to join clubs and societies at the start of the first semester. I have yet to actually go to a history social! The first socials are a really good way to meet people on a similar course to you or with similar interests, so I recommend going to them!

I'm not really the best person to be asking about the clubbing scene, in all honesty. I've been out in Norwich twice, not because it's rubbish, but because I just can't be bothered all the time! None of my friends seem to have any complaints. Tao and Lola Lo's are quite popular, club-wise. I can't speak for Lola Lo's but Tao was nice, if slightly expensive. There's a decent strip of clubs and bars to choose from though, so you could always go out with your flatmates and check them all out (usually in freshers week they'll be cheaper to try and entice people in and create a sort of brand loyalty).

ReputationRep:
    Well here is a link to the clubs & societies page where you can have a browse at what there is There will deffo be a society for all of those three things, but as I'm not a member I'm not sure how often any of them meet except the comedy society. Comedy society meets most Friday nights where you generally hang out and have a laugh. There's a little bit of participation involved but you don't have to do too much. Occasionally they'll also do standup nights in the grad bar, which are always fun! Here's a link to the comedy society's youtube, you can check out some stuff they do on there.

As for what I wish I'd done differently- I wish I'd have made more of an effort to join clubs and societies at the start of the first semester. I have yet to actually go to a history social! The first socials are a really good way to meet people on a similar course to you or with similar interests, so I recommend going to them!

I'm not really the best person to be asking about the clubbing scene, in all honesty. I've been out in Norwich twice, not because it's rubbish, but because I just can't be bothered all the time! None of my friends seem to have any complaints. Tao and Lola Lo's are quite popular, club-wise. I can't speak for Lola Lo's but Tao was nice, if slightly expensive. There's a decent strip of clubs and bars to choose from though, so you could always go out with your flatmates and check them all out (usually in freshers week they'll be cheaper to try and entice people in and create a sort of brand loyalty).
    Thank you, looks brilliant yeah, from what I hear the LCR doesn't get boring easily anyways. What accommodation are you in?

ReputationRep:
    Thank you, looks brilliant yeah, from what I hear the LCR doesn't get boring easily anyways. What accommodation are you in?
    I'm in the village Willow house, specifically. It's sort of separate from the main part of the village. I quite like it because within the village community, Willow and the other two separate houses have our own mini-community as well.
    Can be a right ballache when it's raining/you're late for a lecture and you have to walk to campus though
    Do you know which accommodation you want?

ReputationRep:
    I'm in the village Willow house, specifically. It's sort of separate from the main part of the village. I quite like it because within the village community, Willow and the other two separate houses have our own mini-community as well.
    Can be a right ballache when it's raining/you're late for a lecture and you have to walk to campus though
    Do you know which accommodation you want?
    Definitely ensuite- the basic one, I won't go for premium. That's just the village isn't it? I've only seen inside one set of rooms in the Courtyard, are they all pretty similar?

ReputationRep:

To add to the good advice provided by Hazular, on the clubbing front- for a small city Norwich has a lot of clubs/club nights. Here is an outline of the main options current 1st years go to during the week:

Mon-Tao
    Tues-LCR fancy dress
    Wed- Lola Lo's
    Thurs-Lola lo's/Tao/Carnival (formerly
    Knowhere)
    Fri-Propaganda @ Project (the indie night)
    Sat- LCR casual club night

So those are the most popular nights- I've not been to Tao but apparently the queues are always really long- they have made such a big effort with advertising.

Lola lo's on a thursday plays a good mix of songs from typical chart and club songs to more classic songs. Not been on a Wednesday.

There are other clubs as well, including The Loft, Kartel (another new one) which students sometimes go to, Tao are starting a Wed night even and Project are trying to promote another big night.

There are a few smaller ones down Prince of Wales Road including Essence but I don't know anyone who goes to them, they seem more popular with locals.

Tao, Lola Lo's and Project always have gueslists running on facebook for their main night, if you put your name down you get free/cheap entry before a certain time and discounted entry after.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jelly1000)
    To add to the good advice provided by Hazular, on the clubbing front- for a small city Norwich has a lot of clubs/club nights. Here is an outline of the main options current 1st years go to during the week:

Mon-Tao
    Tues-LCR fancy dress
    Wed- Lola Lo's
    Thurs-Lola lo's/Tao/Carnival (formerly
    Knowhere)
    Fri-Propaganda @ Project (the indie night)
    Sat- LCR casual club night

So those are the most popular nights- I've not been to Tao but apparently the queues are always really long- they have made such a big effort with advertising.

Lola lo's on a thursday plays a good mix of songs from typical chart and club songs to more classic songs. Not been on a Wednesday.

There are other clubs as well, including The Loft, Kartel (another new one) which students sometimes go to, Tao are starting a Wed night even and Project are trying to promote another big night.

There are a few smaller ones down Prince of Wales Road including Essence but I don't know anyone who goes to them, they seem more popular with locals.

Tao, Lola Lo's and Project always have gueslists running on facebook for their main night, if you put your name down you get free/cheap entry before a certain time and discounted entry after.
    Ooh, epic cheers. I'd add

Sun.- pub night

cause when I went a couple weeks ago it was hilarious. Two guys stripped in the dance off and one was running around for ages after trying to find his socks :L

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: June 5, 2017
Poll
Who is most responsible for your success at university

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.