Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by howlingcow)
    Thanks! Any information would be much appreciated
    No worries. I completely forgot SCVA is closed today, but apparently it turns out that there is a darkroom in Union House, though you need to be a member of the Photography Society to use it. It's apparently a £10 fee to join their Society, but it looks like you'll get unlimited use of a darkroom if you do join them. Hope that helps

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kpwxx)
    For normal undergrad courses, lectures or other compulsory things begin on the first day, the one stated as the start of term. There's no "freshers week" or anything like some unis. I would presume that AHP would be the same... Certainly I would make sure you're available to start on that date

Xxx

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Hi there,
    We are still waiting on the course dates to be passed over from the AHP department...
    I can tell you that for the current 2012/13 academic year: Allied Health students started their course on the the same day as the majority of courses (after the main arrivals weekend).

However, they do have an extended end date though which goes on until the 13th of July.
    We would expect the dates to be similar but obviously the school may need to change them.

I hope this helps a little!

UEA accom

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Eloquai)
    No worries. I completely forgot SCVA is closed today, but apparently it turns out that there is a darkroom in Union House, though you need to be a member of the Photography Society to use it. It's apparently a £10 fee to join their Society, but it looks like you'll get unlimited use of a darkroom if you do join them. Hope that helps
    Thanks so much for finding that out - that's great! thanks I'm sure I'll be using it if I come to UEA

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by howlingcow)
    Thanks so much for finding that out - that's great! thanks I'm sure I'll be using it if I come to UEA
    That's alright - glad to be of help. Good luck with your application

ReputationRep:
    Could any current biological science students inform me about UEA's lab and teaching facilites for the subject?

ReputationRep:
    Because I want to do a foundation year in english there, and I need 3 C's.
    problem is, I think I'm failing biology. Would they still consider me?
    I reckon I'll do well in my general studies papers though.
    thank you.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LKelly147)
    Could any current biological science students inform me about UEA's lab and teaching facilites for the subject?
    50% (joint chem/bio degree) of my taught lab modules this year (1st year) were taught in the Bio labs. I just happened to have the only centrifuge in the lab that always got jammed. Apart from that the facilities available (for the first year labs anyway) are quite good. The labs are clean and modern and the lab modules are quite interesting.

ReputationRep:
    Hey! i would be starting in september. so i was wondering what all would happen around the first week of arrival for all the new students?

ReputationRep:
    Hey guys, i'm a firmer doing Law in September (hopefully if my exams go well next week! Eek!)

Umm... I was just wondering what the LGBT community is like in UEA? i'm gay and was hoping to find out a little more about LGBT society at UEA. I come from a REALLY small 6th form where i'm the only openly gay guy haha ^^ so any information would be much appreciated, like are there many people in the LGBT soc? Does it meet regularly?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kesla15)
    Hey guys, i'm a firmer doing Law in September (hopefully if my exams go well next week! Eek!)

Umm... I was just wondering what the LGBT community is like in UEA? i'm gay and was hoping to find out a little more about LGBT society at UEA. I come from a REALLY small 6th form where i'm the only openly gay guy haha ^^ so any information would be much appreciated, like are there many people in the LGBT soc? Does it meet regularly?
    I can't say what the LGBT society is really like at UEA (afraid I've never been along), but it does exist and I believe it's quite well run and popular. There's also an LGBT Officer within the Student's Union and Concrete (the UEA Newspaper) also run a special section on LGBT affairs. Campus-wide, UEA is a very LGBT-friendly university with a very progressive student body.

You can always get in touch with the LGBT Officer, Holly Staynor at: ([email protected]). She can probably answer these questions better than I.

Hope that helps, and good luck with your exams

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ImaanFaruqui)
    Hey! i would be starting in september. so i was wondering what all would happen around the first week of arrival for all the new students?
    the first week is freshers week (the uni calls it welcome week), during the day you have registration and welcome events and depending on your course you may have some lectures and during the night the uni hosts a variety of club nights at the LCR

ReputationRep:
    Firmed UEA last month and I'm really excited and nervous at the same time. I'll hopefully be studying Media Studies!

Just wanted to know what to expect from the uni and what living there is like in general Also what is freshers week like?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Naomi.R)
    Firmed UEA last month and I'm really excited and nervous at the same time. I'll hopefully be studying Media Studies!

Just wanted to know what to expect from the uni and what living there is like in general Also what is freshers week like?
    thats a very broad question but on the whole i'd say its very good. One of the things I liked about UEA was that the Union is so popular unlike at a lot of other unis where people go there once during freshers and then not again. the union puts on a host of popular club nights and gigs and there are also several pubs and clubs in town as well as the usual range of shops, three cinemas and a bowling alley.

If you like clubbing then freshers week is great, the uni holds a different club event every night. Entertainment for non clubbers is more limited, if things haven't changed their is one comedy night and apart from that its create your own. there is always at least one flat where the majority dont want to go clubbing and one where everyone apart from one person wants to go clubbing but if you are in the minority dont be afraid to approach others and see what they are doing, it shouldn't ruin your freshers.

Depending on your course it can also be a bit hectic, mine was fine because I had two days off and only an hour or two of introductory talks/welcomes where as some courses have proper lectures at the end of the week or in the case of Env three days of field trips.

this is assuming your not a medic to be. medics have a seperate freshers week based more around pubs the week before the main event.

ReputationRep:
    Depending on my results in the summer, I am hoping to come to UEA in September to study Literature and History. I was just wondering if anybody who does this course could tell me what they think of it?

I know that that is a very broad question! I just haven't found much on this forum about it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by emilycmg)
    Depending on my results in the summer, I am hoping to come to UEA in September to study Literature and History. I was just wondering if anybody who does this course could tell me what they think of it?

I know that that is a very broad question! I just haven't found much on this forum about it.
    I do a completely different programme at UEA, but I have previously taken modules in the School of History and thoroughly enjoyed them for both their content and the teaching. My housemate does literature and she always speaks very highly of the course (though she does seem to allude to there being a lot of reading involved, but I guess that's somewhat to be expected ).

Hopefully there'll be someone else on here who knows more about the programme but I hope that helps a little. Good luck on your exams!

ReputationRep:
    I've posted this on a separate thread but just in case any of you guys were interested:

Hello potential freshers!
    My name is Jamie and I'm about to enter my third year at UEA. I study biomedicine and am the new social secretary for the school of biology. If you come to the three-legged white tshirt pub crawl you will probably bump into me at some point in the night
    If you have any questions feel free to ask!
    This is the official page for next year.
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/3815...58720/?fref=ts
    I am also a bio buddy so some of you will have to put up with me for the first month or so

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jamiet92)
    I've posted this on a separate thread but just in case any of you guys were interested:

Hello potential freshers!
    My name is Jamie and I'm about to enter my third year at UEA. I study biomedicine and am the new social secretary for the school of biology. If you come to the three-legged white tshirt pub crawl you will probably bump into me at some point in the night
    If you have any questions feel free to ask!
    This is the official page for next year.
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/3815...58720/?fref=ts
    I am also a bio buddy so some of you will have to put up with me for the first month or so
    So nice to see a current biologist

Any advice about Bio in general, what to expect during freshers?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lilGem)
    So nice to see a current biologist

Any advice about Bio in general, what to expect during freshers?
    Biologists are the bestest :cool:

Freshers week is honestly going to be the greatest time of your life. Can't quite remember when the link comes out but all freshers will receive an email to buy freshers week tickets (if you don't receive the email don't worry it gets leaked all over the place anyway). There is an event every night with the Saturday night being the best with bumper cars and other rides outside and music inside.

There are a couple of "lectures" but they are only to explain the module outline and exam format etc. No actual biology. So if it's at 9am I wouldn't stress as it's put online anyway (I didn't say that )

During the week there is also SportsMart and SocMart where you can sign up for the societies. It is THEN when you will be coming to the BioSoc stand and signing up, again, potentially seeing my lovely face If not me you will see Kieran who is our president.

The first social will probably be on week 2. It has turned into a bit of a tradition where we do a three-legged white t-shirt pub crawl around Norwich and end up in a club where we wangle decent deals due to the size of our society.

If there's anything else you'd like to know just ask or ask on the facebook group

Have a wonderful summer and good luck with your results!

Jamie

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jamiet92)
    Biologists are the bestest :cool:

Freshers week is honestly going to be the greatest time of your life. Can't quite remember when the link comes out but all freshers will receive an email to buy freshers week tickets (if you don't receive the email don't worry it gets leaked all over the place anyway). There is an event every night with the Saturday night being the best with bumper cars and other rides outside and music inside.

There are a couple of "lectures" but they are only to explain the module outline and exam format etc. No actual biology. So if it's at 9am I wouldn't stress as it's put online anyway (I didn't say that )

During the week there is also SportsMart and SocMart where you can sign up for the societies. It is THEN when you will be coming to the BioSoc stand and signing up, again, potentially seeing my lovely face If not me you will see Kieran who is our president.

The first social will probably be on week 2. It has turned into a bit of a tradition where we do a three-legged white t-shirt pub crawl around Norwich and end up in a club where we wangle decent deals due to the size of our society.

If there's anything else you'd like to know just ask or ask on the facebook group

Have a wonderful summer and good luck with your results!

Jamie
    Brilliant thank you! Already liked the biosoc page, see you in September hopefully!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by emilycmg)

Hey, I'm doing history and have loved my first year so far, feel free to ask any questions

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.