Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lucas19)
    I'm transferring to UEA so i'll be a new student but not a fresher
    Do you know roughly the date?
    My course starts 26th according to UCAS just wanted to check it wouldn't conflict

Posted from TSR Mobile
    its that week.

ReputationRep:
    Looking forward to freshers week regarding meeting new people and things but the idea of drinking and getting smashed was never and never will be my thing. Am I the only person not into the whole party scene?!

ReputationRep:
    Most likely

ReputationRep:
    Just kidding - There will be lots of different people who will like drinking and some won't. The majority will, but you don't have to drink a lot/anything to make friends. I would suggest going to the events and club nights to meet new people/ understand uni and just to have a great experience. I certainly wouldn't have thought it strange if someone in my flat last year at freshers didn't want to drink, as long as they still socialized - and I can tell you I got through at least half a bottle of vodka each night for pre drinks... It was a good freshers last year

We had a girl in our flat last year who didn't drink, this was fine - but she distanced herself from us after the first night upon discovering that we did, and after that we didn't see much of her - she would ignore us and not even look at us when we saw her around. As long as you are willing to be friendly and make friends - you'll be fine!

ReputationRep:
    I saw your message and thought it was worth saying that Freshers Week is ONLY a week although it may seem like a long time whilst you're going through it if you're someone who doesn't drink a lot. Uni is great once freshers is over - you meet people in societies etc who you have so much more in common with than anyone you'll meet drunk in a club in your first few days!

Have a wonderful time at uni, but if freshers is difficult due to non-drinking then just ignore it - it is one week out of years of fulfilling and fun times that passes way too fast! Good luck!

ReputationRep:
    hiya, your not alone! i like the odd drink but i have so much more fun staying sober

ReputationRep:
    I hate drinking and clubbing as I view it as an immoral lifestyle. Sue me.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by xampiiexx)
    hiya, your not alone! i like the odd drink but i have so much more fun staying sober
    Ok are you going to UEA? And thank you

ReputationRep:
    drinkings not my thing but i normally get sucked in and get pissed

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MeredithGrey13)
    Ok are you going to UEA? And thank you
    yeah i'm going UEA, i'm doing chemistry

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by David`)
    NatWest don't do that railcard anymore, I went and asked them the other day. You can get one from Santander now
    Only thing is, the Santander one requires you make a 500 a month deposit into the account? Does this mean having another account and transferring money between them all the time? Can't imagine students being guaranteed that much per month any other way. (Unless everyone else has very generous and rich parents sending them pocket money!) :/

Thanks to everyone who's answered my question so far! Anyone able to step in with their experience regarding the market?

ReputationRep:
    Im on the same boat as u,, i dont like clubbing that much... i love the odd drink but i would like to remember the "fun" i have at freshers n not wake up hungover :P

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Statuess)
    Only thing is, the Santander one requires you make a 500 a month deposit into the account? Does this mean having another account and transferring money between them all the time? Can't imagine students being guaranteed that much per month any other way. (Unless everyone else has very generous and rich parents sending them pocket money!) :/

Thanks to everyone who's answered my question so far! Anyone able to step in with their experience regarding the market?
    Normally banks are happy to count the student loan money instead of a regular monthly payment but do check.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BeccaLG)
    Hi, would someone please be able to tell me a bit more about the gym, I've seen
    so many prices for memberships in various places!

If I just wanted to use the gym (treadmill, cross trainer etc) four or five days a week or so, firstly how much would it cost me to pay each time I went (I like to think I'd go regularly but not too sure if I would!) and secondly how much would it cost me for a membership for the year? If I got a membership would I not have to pay anything at all each time I went?

Sorry for all the questions!
    Hey!

The prices for individual activities are here

http://sportspark.co.uk/wp-content/u...eaflet-web.pdf

As a student, you automatically get 'Educational' membership (just take your campus card to the desk for them to activate it the first time you go in) which gets you free entry to the sportspark, bronze (see below) fees for activities during peak times and the lowest fees for all activities during off-peak.

There are bronze, silver and gold memberships. Bronze is essentially what you have anyway but if you are using the gym and other stuff a lot you might want to consider silver or gold membership, which are £27 and £33 a month respectively. I think the majority of students just pay as they go though, as it's more flexible if you can't go for a while etc.

Here are the memberships:
    http://sportspark.co.uk/wp-content/u...-Jan13-web.pdf

xxx

ReputationRep:
    I do love a good night out every now and again, but I'm definitely not someone who will want to be out every single week (nor will I be able to afford it ) You definitely won't be alone!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MeredithGrey13)
    Looking forward to freshers week regarding meeting new people and things but the idea of drinking and getting smashed was never and never will be my thing. Am I the only person not into the whole party scene?!

(Original post by Pizza King)
    I hate drinking and clubbing as I view it as an immoral lifestyle. Sue me.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Hey guys, fellow non drinker here (due to health problems) nice to meet some other people

ReputationRep:
    Any Norwich college school of arts student? I am in trouble if accept their offer or UWE's one, My subject is graphic design, postgraduate level, Any helpful advice? please

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lucas19)
    I'm transferring to UEA so i'll be a new student but not a fresher
    Do you know roughly the date?
    My course starts 26th according to UCAS just wanted to check it wouldn't conflict

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Socmart and fresher's fair run for several hours throughout the day, usually about 10-3, so unless you're on a 9-5 course (even then you have lunch!) you should be able to fit it around lectures - they make it that way on purpose.

If for some reason you did miss socmart though, you can sign up to societies and clubs at a later date anyway so don't panic about it! They are all listed on the union website, ueastudent.com.

xxx

ReputationRep:
    Heya everyone! I'm gonna be starting an Adult Nursing course in Jan (2014) and obviously with it not being at the start of the academic year we won't be in with all the Freshers stuff... just wondered if there'll be any events for new nursing students???? xx

ReputationRep:
    yeah i'm going UEA, i'm doing chemistry
    I'm about to start my second year of Chemistry if you want to know anything about the modules/department/whatever

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you rather give up salt or pepper?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.