Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Train from liverpool street straight there. Go on trainline for prices..or a £5 megabus from victoria station..taxi? Haa no way

ReputationRep:
    Do you know how long they will take?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mav455)
    Do you know how long they will take?
    Train is 1hour 50mins during the week, 2 hours at the weekend. Megabus from Victoria station is around 3 hours. Then its £2.20 for a single, £4 return on the bus from the station to the uni, journey time approximately 20-25 mins or £7.50-8 for a taxi one way (pre booked, the black cabs outside the station are a lot more expensive) journey time 10-15mins.

ReputationRep:
    Ive heard they have rabbits at UEA. Is is true? Are you allowed to touch them? Sorry I kno I sound weird its just I used to have rabbits. Until my parents made me give them away:mad:
    Whats the general area of uni like? It looks a bit boring from the outside, but obviously Im not gonna judge based on that. What are the lecture areas like? Are they big?
    •  Official Rep

ReputationRep:
     Official Rep
    Ive heard they have rabbits at UEA. Is is true? Are you allowed to touch them? Sorry I kno I sound weird its just I used to have rabbits. Until my parents made me give them away:mad:
    Whats the general area of uni like? It looks a bit boring from the outside, but obviously Im not gonna judge based on that. What are the lecture areas like? Are they big?

Hello,

Yes that is true, there are a lot of rabbits running about on campus (especially during summer!)

UEA has everything you need on campus from the accommodation, food outlets, shops, bank, launderettes and a library that's open 24hrs a day, 7 days a week! There are also extra facilities such as the Sportspark and Sainsbury Centre for Visual Arts, which offer discounted entry rates to students. If you look on the website there is plenty of information on there for you to find out more details.

Personally, I would say that if you're interested in studying at UEA the best thing to do is visit on an open day or campus tours afternoon. Every university is different and so visiting lots of different ones is the best way to decide which university is best for you

Hope that helps!

ReputationRep:
    You're unlikely to be able to touch the rabbits, many have tried but they are just too fast! However if you are lucky enough to have a room with a view of the grass you can watch then frolicking from your window They like to randomly jump extremely high.

I would certainly agree with what UEA said above about visiting. It's more the atmosphere on campus than the physical appearance, though I personally am rather fond of how it looks. The lecture theatres are plenty big enough for the number of students on courses.

Xxx

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Yeah there are lots of rabbits living on campus, they are wild ones though, not like any you might have had as a kid- they see anyone as a threat and run away when you approach them. And whilst not the pretiest campus, I'd say UEA seemed to the liveliest of all I visited- as well as what the UEA representative has said you also have the LCR- it has club nights Tuesday & Saturday and gigs many other nights. And the Square in the centre is usually buzzing when the sun is out as people sit in it.

As far as lecture theatres go they range in size- they are all big enough for the number of people on the module but they don't all need to be big as some modules (especially in second & third year arts courses) don't have that many people on them. There are definitley adequate facilities for the number of people though,

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by UEAAccommodation)
    Its not secret, I can tell you how we try to do it. What we do when we allocate the rooms is try to mix people up as much as possible. This way each flat should (and I know there are going to be cases where this isn't always the case) have a good mix of sexes, nationallities and students from different schools of study. UEA currently has about a 60-40 split on females to males so this may also be reflected in the student numbers in the flat.

The only flats where there will definetely be more students from a certain school will be those that we put students from the Faculty of Health. This is because their courses are longer and we need to ensure that no-one ends up living on their own once the majority of people leave in mid June. Even in these flats however, there should still be half the residents from other "non-health" related courses.

Most students (around 90-95%) who apply for a room get one of their top 3 choices on their application form and over 70% get their top choice.

As you say, we still can't account for people getting on (or not, as the case may be!) but on the whole most people seem happy with where they get put. Even if they don't get on with the other students on their floor the residences are large enough, and the campus small enough, that they will make friends with people on the floor above or below or in other buildings.

Where people are really not happy with where they are living we try to help with room changes and swaps where this is possible.

Hope this answers your question.
    SERIOUSLY?! I find it hard to believe that up to 90% of students get one of their top 3 choices of accommodation. I was offered my second to last choice and rang up/emailed almost everyday before university started to see if I could change and got told their was nothing you guys could and I just had to deal with it.

So I immediately found a room in a shared house, which is a 15 bike ride away from campus. However during my first few weeks I quickly found out that most flats within Mary Chapman Court and various other flats actually had up 3 rooms spare in their flats but obviously I had already signed my housing contract by this time. My friend also suffered this problem after coming to your office around October (She moved to Watton to live with her mum after moving from Africa but realised the commute in was too long) and was told you had no spare rooms so moved into a house off the Avenues.
    But I find it infuriating that the Accomodation Office is turning away people while a good number of rooms are empty!!!

P.S.

Rooms in the village are tiny and all my friends there have had problems ranging from broken showers to having their rooms broken into (Parts of the Village don't have CCTV so if you do get broken into- tough luck!!!!!). And remember all for a for a £3,000+ price tag!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rustamyyeah1)
    SERIOUSLY?! I find it hard to believe that up to 90% of students get one of their top 3 choices of accommodation. I was offered my second to last choice and rang up/emailed almost everyday before university started to see if I could change and got told their was nothing you guys could and I just had to deal with it.

So I immediately found a room in a shared house, which is a 15 bike ride away from campus. However during my first few weeks I quickly found out that most flats within Mary Chapman Court and various other flats actually had up 3 rooms spare in their flats but obviously I had already signed my housing contract by this time. My friend also suffered this problem after coming to your office around October (She moved to Watton to live with her mum after moving from Africa but realised the commute in was too long) and was told you had no spare rooms so moved into a house off the Avenues.
    But I find it infuriating that the Accomodation Office is turning away people while a good number of rooms are empty!!!

P.S.

Rooms in the village are tiny and all my friends there have had problems ranging from broken showers to having their rooms broken into (Parts of the Village don't have CCTV so if you do get broken into- tough luck!!!!!). And remember all for a for a £3,000+ price tag!
    You not receiving one of your top three choices is not evidence to contradict the factual statistic of how many people do. It is unfortunate that you were part of the 5-10% but sadly that has to happen for some people. The main benefit I felt UEA had was that the residences are, in many ways, quite equal with each other. At some unis I visited there were some residences which were super duper and some which were absolutely dire! Whereas at UEA they are all self catered, all have cleaners, all have the same rules on visitors etc so at least you still have that the same even if you aren't in your preferred residence. I will note that most people who get placed in a non-preferred choice actually end up liking it. For example, one year I heard the statistic that no-one who went in to a shared room and joined the waiting list ended up moving, as once a room became available they had decided they didn't mind sharing.

The office operates a waiting list for people who want to move flats. But obviously, they can only move people when a room becomes available. You made a choice to rent a room off campus rather than spend a few weeks waiting in a less preferred uni room until the rooms you mentioned became available. This is completely up to you, and may well be the right choice for some people, but you can't then complain that you signed a contract so couldn't move in to the rooms when the became available in the first few weeks (bear in mind some people just won't turn up to uni but they won't know this until the day then they have to contact them to see why). The uni has to go through the waiting list in order to ensure fairness of giving rooms out. For example, those who got put in shared rooms I believe have a higher priority (although like I said often don't choose to move). But of course this is going to take time... the office aren't super human, they have to contact people and wait for them to get back to them, and look at the list to figure out who is next etc. It's not as simple as someone leaves and then they grab a random person and shove them in straight away. It takes time, but I do believe they do their best to sort it out as quickly as possible. And at the end of the day at least they offer everyone who confirms by a comparatively late date a place in uni accommodation. I had some unis contacting me in around January to ask me to apply for accomm or risk not getting it which is frankly ridiculous.

As for CCTV, it's not standard in life to have CCTV pointing at your property. The uni offers very cheap insurance by default to cover your possessions and lots of advice on how to be secure. Student residences are always targeted by thieves (unfortunately) but I don't see how the doors and windows are any less secure than a standard house. Also the cost was again cheap compared to other unis I looked at, especially for its position in the country.

xxx

ReputationRep:
    I lived in the Village during my first year and it was one of the happiest years of my life. The rooms aren't as big as some on campus, but they're hardly 'tiny' either. Every time something broke or went wrong, one call to the cleaners or Estates was enough and the problem would usually be sorted out within a day.

We never had any problems with crime - as kpwxx said above, student residences can be targeted by thieves, but if you follow some basic rules (i.e. keep your window locked if you're not in the room, lock your door if you leave your flat and lock your flat's door after everyone's home.) then you're unlikely to experience anything too terrible (and if you do, it's hardly the fault of the university).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kpwxx)
    You not receiving one of your top three choices is not evidence to contradict the factual statistic of how many people do. It is unfortunate that you were part of the 5-10% but sadly that has to happen for some people. The main benefit I felt UEA had was that the residences are, in many ways, quite equal with each other. At some unis I visited there were some residences which were super duper and some which were absolutely dire! Whereas at UEA they are all self catered, all have cleaners, all have the same rules on visitors etc so at least you still have that the same even if you aren't in your preferred residence. I will note that most people who get placed in a non-preferred choice actually end up liking it. For example, one year I heard the statistic that no-one who went in to a shared room and joined the waiting list ended up moving, as once a room became available they had decided they didn't mind sharing.

The office operates a waiting list for people who want to move flats. But obviously, they can only move people when a room becomes available. You made a choice to rent a room off campus rather than spend a few weeks waiting in a less preferred uni room until the rooms you mentioned became available. This is completely up to you, and may well be the right choice for some people, but you can't then complain that you signed a contract so couldn't move in to the rooms when the became available in the first few weeks (bear in mind some people just won't turn up to uni but they won't know this until the day then they have to contact them to see why). The uni has to go through the waiting list in order to ensure fairness of giving rooms out. For example, those who got put in shared rooms I believe have a higher priority (although like I said often don't choose to move). But of course this is going to take time... the office aren't super human, they have to contact people and wait for them to get back to them, and look at the list to figure out who is next etc. It's not as simple as someone leaves and then they grab a random person and shove them in straight away. It takes time, but I do believe they do their best to sort it out as quickly as possible. And at the end of the day at least they offer everyone who confirms by a comparatively late date a place in uni accommodation. I had some unis contacting me in around January to ask me to apply for accomm or risk not getting it which is frankly ridiculous.

As for CCTV, it's not standard in life to have CCTV pointing at your property. The uni offers very cheap insurance by default to cover your possessions and lots of advice on how to be secure. Student residences are always targeted by thieves (unfortunately) but I don't see how the doors and windows are any less secure than a standard house. Also the cost was again cheap compared to other unis I looked at, especially for its position in the country.

xxx
    I know alone I have little but this these issues aren't just felt by me. Many of the friends in first year have already moved or thinking about moving off campus for various reasons but mostly because they think the accommodation is not up to the standard they are paying for. And when talking about this with people from second and third years they all said they had at least one problem or another with how the accommodation office operates and its dealings with complaints.

I was aware of the waiting list system when talking to the office before university began but was told that it was unlikely I would be able to change until January (I was offered a shared room btw), which I thought was completely ridiculous.
    Plus when talking about the priority system, surely my friend from Africa, who knew little English or how to get round Norwich should have been given a higher priority but no. She was told she'd have to find a place off campus as there was nothing they could do.

And I understand you have don't have CCTV in our own home (that would be overprotective), but the village has CCTV looking at every block apart from one in the left hand corner (which backs onto normal residential houses). That just seems unfair and an oversight that the accommodation office, to my knowledge (which is about 2 weeks old now) haven't dealt with.

ReputationRep:
    I know alone I have little but this these issues aren't just felt by me. Many of the friends in first year have already moved or thinking about moving off campus for various reasons but mostly because they think the accommodation is not up to the standard they are paying for. And when talking about this with people from second and third years they all said they had at least one problem or another with how the accommodation office operates and its dealings with complaints.

I was aware of the waiting list system when talking to the office before university began but was told that it was unlikely I would be able to change until January (I was offered a shared room btw), which I thought was completely ridiculous.
    Plus when talking about the priority system, surely my friend from Africa, who knew little English or how to get round Norwich should have been given a higher priority but no. She was told she'd have to find a place off campus as there was nothing they could do.

And I understand you have don't have CCTV in our own home (that would be overprotective), but the village has CCTV looking at every block apart from one in the left hand corner (which backs onto normal residential houses). That just seems unfair and an oversight that the accommodation office, to my knowledge (which is about 2 weeks old now) haven't dealt with.

Hmm, perhaps it is a blind spot. Are you sure it's not to do with the fact that they are next to other private residences? They wouldn't be able to put the CCTV up if it captured video of someone elses property (since the village is not a public place) IIRC. So maybe that's why?

Also, I am surprised to hear that to be honest. I believe you and accept that you and your friends have had bad experiences. But personally I know many people who have lived in residences at one point or another and most enjoyed their time there very much and had very few problems. Even more so when you compare it to the minefield that is private student renting! UEA offers imo good, great value (compared with other unis), with a team dedicated to sorting issues and a well timed contract with no deposit.

xxx

xxx

ReputationRep:

I can only join with kpwxx in saying that neither I or anyone I know had any problems in accommodation. No thefts that I heard of and the accomodation office were quick to fix things

ReputationRep:
    Hey guys, anyone here doing law?
    I've got an offer from this university..I'm still wondering if i should accept it.. but anyway I was just wondering how's the law course like and how's the university like.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by olinkaxq)
    Hey guys, anyone here doing law?
    I've got an offer from this university..I'm still wondering if i should accept it.. but anyway I was just wondering how's the law course like and how's the university like.
    Congratulations on receiving an offer!

I personally can't help with questions about law, but we can probably help with any other queries about UEA. UEA's truly a wonderful place, but it's hard to summarise it all in one go - are there any specific questions you have (about teaching, accommodation, Norwich, the environment)?

ReputationRep:
    Hi, I was wondering what are the sports facilities in UEA, and in general if there's the opportunity to do sports. Also, I'm an international student and I was wondering if there were a lot of international students at Uea.
    Thanks!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tnoon)
    Hi, I was wondering what are the sports facilities in UEA, and in general if there's the opportunity to do sports. Also, I'm an international student and I was wondering if there were a lot of international students at Uea.
    Thanks!
    I've only been to the sports park gym twice and never to any others so I can't say how good it is, but it is there, along with sports halls where you can book to play sports like badminton with friends. The sportspark offers a lot of sport classes and there are a number of sports clubs you can join doing everything from football to ultimate frisbee. And yes there are a lot of international students, a large proportion of them are Chinese and tend to stick to each other and only speak Chinese so they are somewhat cut off from the rest of us, but those who do speak in English have no problem integrating with British students. And there is an International Students Society as well as societies for certain nationalities eg. Helenic, Chinese e.c.t

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jelly1000)
    I've only been to the sports park gym twice and never to any others so I can't say how good it is, but it is there, along with sports halls where you can book to play sports like badminton with friends. The sportspark offers a lot of sport classes and there are a number of sports clubs you can join doing everything from football to ultimate frisbee. And yes there are a lot of international students, a large proportion of them are Chinese and tend to stick to each other and only speak Chinese so they are somewhat cut off from the rest of us, but those who do speak in English have no problem integrating with British students. And there is an International Students Society as well as societies for certain nationalities eg. Helenic, Chinese e.c.t
    Awesome, thank you!

ReputationRep:
    I'm currently in Hong Kong and I'm planning to study PPE in the UK. I'm wondering which university would be best to study PPE among my choices (Warwick, Durham, sussex, Essex and UEA)? I've read their course details and I've read similar discussions on the topic but I'm am left unsure of which to pick. They all seem great but I'd like to know more about this from you guys so I could have an idea of what it's like to study social science in UEA. I'd also like to know more about student life there

ReputationRep:
    Hi, I've been offered a place for Economics this year and am considering UEA as my first choice. I'm just a little worried about freshers week and the University social life in general as the social aspect is mostly about drinking, clubbing etc but I don't do any of that. I was just wondering how big a muslim population the University has and if there's any Muslims that are thinking of coming to the University?

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: June 5, 2017
Poll
Cats or dogs?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.